Jonah's Really REALLY Interesting Thread | Page 158 | Vital Football

Jonah's Really REALLY Interesting Thread

I am in the market for a new (used) car. I have a budget but as I am now in my mid 40s I have never had a car that I really really wanted , always the sensible practical option.
Now I still need practical because of pooch and maybe ferrying kids to uni and back etc. But want to get a bit more of a name . At the moment, not set in stone, but looking at a Merc c220 estate post 2018 (as that's when face lift on them was done)

Went to a dealership today as found a candidate. Drove about 40 mins to get there. They moved the car from another dealership within the group.
11,000 miles on clock and on the outside in very very good nick.

Opened up . Wtf !!!.

No parcel shelf -' it's ok we will get one fitted not sure where it is'
Sweet wrapper in the central console.
More gravel in the foot well then on the road.
Remnants of some sort of sticker on the steering column.
Foot scuff dust marks on the door as if someone has opened the door with their foot several times.
Just generally dirty inside.
Remnants of leaves under the bonnet when I opened it.
Wires exposed near to the accelerator- left by mistake as that's where they supposedly plug the vehicle schematic computer in.

This car had not be cleaned. Yet in the pictures on the website it was immaculate.
Wtf has happened in the month it had supposedly been on the forecourt .

Am I wrong to expect that if I am spending that sort of money at an approved Merc dealership that they show me a car that actually is presentable inside aswell outside?. I don't change cars often so it's not a regular experience but I was pretty staggered at this today. First impressions and standards are important in my book and despite it driving well I can't get past how the car looked inside even though I know it is a cosmetic thing. Did not install me with confidence.

I would let the manager of the dealership know, the nice thing about going to such places (my experience of BMW) is how well you are treated, they make you feel special and usually take pride in the cars they sell.

Stock photo and not real in my guess. I'd move sharply on - you get one chance to make an impression and if no one thought to clean the sweet wrapper and gravel up etc - they have absolutely no excuses for the rest which could understandably be covered with a full clean prior to you accepting it properly.

That leads me to what else haven't they sorted, even if it drives well on the test drive.

I don't drive as you know, but leaning on my old man who picked up a newbie (second hand) recently - there wasn't rubbish or a clutter anywhere and the dealership promised a full internal clean and it was noticeable that they had done it when he went to collect as he was impressed.

I went to Old Hill today to watch cricket. It was a nice day out.
went down to the last ball.
Dave got 63 then played onto his stumps. Unlucky.

I would let the manager of the dealership know, the nice thing about going to such places (my experience of BMW) is how well you are treated, they make you feel special and usually take pride in the cars they sell.

Its the second Mercedes dealership I have been to in the past month. Neither have impressed me at all. The first haven’t bothered calling me back ‘ in 5 minutes’ as promised even when I asked for a test drive . So I sacked them off.

Today was a young lady who did a great job moving the car there for us at short notice and was helpful and it wasnt her fault about the inside of the car but in terms of her knowledge of the car....
I couldn't get the central touch pad console to work and thought it was me doing something wrong . She couldn’t and said it must be a loose wire. Ffs . After all that had gone on with the inside that was the final straw and I said no thanks. Just before we left she came back with one of the male dealers and he got the touch pad working as it was just a setting needed changing. Basic....

I’m beginning to think because I am not a brand new car customer they are not bothered because there is naff all profit for them in used cars.
Certainly haven’t felt special at all.

Yep. Exactly why the ‘cosmetic’ things I mentioned bother me more than they perhaps should. What else is there....

Trust your gut mate. Yes, you might miss a gem by being paranoid (I assume other similar cars would drive as well though?) but if you get a turkey?

If a place can't take care of what you can see and make an opinion on, what have they not bothered with when it comes to what you can't see?

Try Syntner BMW, Solihull. I'd be surprised if they didn't treat you better. You also then get a better car!

Oh Christ, he's back again - he said he'd gone!

200w.gif

I am in the market for a new (used) car. I have a budget but as I am now in my mid 40s I have never had a car that I really really wanted , always the sensible practical option.
Now I still need practical because of pooch and maybe ferrying kids to uni and back etc. But want to get a bit more of a name . At the moment, not set in stone, but looking at a Merc c220 estate post 2018 (as that's when face lift on them was done)

Went to a dealership today as found a candidate. Drove about 40 mins to get there. They moved the car from another dealership within the group.
11,000 miles on clock and on the outside in very very good nick.

Opened up . Wtf !!!.

No parcel shelf -' it's ok we will get one fitted not sure where it is'
Sweet wrapper in the central console.
More gravel in the foot well then on the road.
Remnants of some sort of sticker on the steering column.
Foot scuff dust marks on the door as if someone has opened the door with their foot several times.
Just generally dirty inside.
Remnants of leaves under the bonnet when I opened it.
Wires exposed near to the accelerator- left by mistake as that's where they supposedly plug the vehicle schematic computer in.

This car had not be cleaned. Yet in the pictures on the website it was immaculate.
Wtf has happened in the month it had supposedly been on the forecourt .

Am I wrong to expect that if I am spending that sort of money at an approved Merc dealership that they show me a car that actually is presentable inside aswell outside?. I don't change cars often so it's not a regular experience but I was pretty staggered at this today. First impressions and standards are important in my book and despite it driving well I can't get past how the car looked inside even though I know it is a cosmetic thing. Did not install me with confidence.
Wont mention names but if you went to a certain dealership at Bromford Bridge in Bham you have had a lucky escape.
I had significant issues with my last 220d estate from there, and they mirror everything you have said and more.
The car was woeful and they new it and after I involved Mercedes head office in Milton Keynes and the Motor Ombudsman they cancelled the finance.
I must say I drove up to Mercedes at Stoke who were totally different, very proffesional and bought a second hand 220d AMG Line estate, 8000 on the clock and two years warranty remaining.
I have always said I would never drive an automatic but this has a nine speed auto box, is very economical, and when driven in sport plus is surrprisingly quicker than my Golf GTD.
love it.