Jonah's Really REALLY Interesting Thread | Page 637 | Vital Football

Jonah's Really REALLY Interesting Thread

Thanks all for the smart responses. True tale,sat up the Holte End, one of the last few games before lockdown. Chap next to me at half time says he has to drive down to Cornwall next day ready for work, told him I lived in Cornwall, and it turned out he was the guy that was overseeing the Smart meters rollout for that part of the South West. Typical,he said he had one, but never looked at it because it packed up not long after installing it.

Morning astonion, morning all, @kefkat, same question to you both,was the outlay for the solar worth it.
Morning mate. Mine were already on the house when I bought it so dont really know. Depending on how many you have will determine the cost but it will be a few thousand. You would then have to decide if you will more than recover the cost during your lifetime. You can also buy batteries that store what you dont use during the day but they are quite expensive as well. I am mostly electric so really benefitting from the weather we. My total energy cost yesterday was 89 pence.

Morning mate. Mine were already on the house when I bought it so dont really know. Depending on how many you have will determine the cost but it will be a few thousand. You would then have to decide if you will more than recover the cost during your lifetime. You can also buy batteries that store what you dont use during the day but they are quite expensive as well. I am mostly electric so really benefitting from the weather we. My total energy cost yesterday was 89 pence.
Very unlikely I would recover the cost before I snuff it, but longevity on the wife's side of the family, and our son lives here, so maybe worth a look at.

The full bill for both Gas and Electric for the quarter including standing charge and VAT was £98.61. But remember I am an old bloke living on my own.
Still worth a look. We have two wood burners that help, son gets plenty of free seasoned wood, but won't be long before government crack down on them.

We asked for a smart meter and the bloke came the next week and fitted it no problem. He wasn't a contractor though , he worked for the supplier we had at the time.

I think they are great , I am constantly pointing out to Mrs SD the daily use amount and can always tell when she has sneakily put the heating on !!!.

If you had true authority she wouldn't put the heating on unauthorised.
#Outofcontrol.

Last edited:
I don't have a smart meter and refuse to. And reading the thread, as I suspected, no one seems to use them for any real cost saving purpose. I means does anyone actually look at them and turn the heating down or off , or switch a light off? Just gimmicks to me . No actual value to me or my budget. Maybe they are to those who are on strict budgets .
I have and always will manage my heating budget my way. Always paid, never late and control what I need the traditional way. Quite happy to spend a whole 3 mins to log on and give my readings when asked.

I don't have a smart meter and refuse to. And reading the thread, as I suspected, no one seems to use them for any real cost saving purpose. I means does anyone actually look at them and turn the heating down or off , or switch a light off? Just gimmicks to me . No actual value to me or my budget. Maybe they are to those who are on strict budgets .
I have and always will manage my heating budget my way. Always paid, never late and control what I need the traditional way. Quite happy to spend a whole 3 mins to log on and give my readings when asked.

#oldfuddyduddy

Exactly how I feel Melon, but due to the circumstances I am over a barrel.

I have always been able to find a deal with no smart meter . They are there. Most recent (May) with British Gas.
Thanks but that appears to have changed this week. All switching sites were closed for business the weekend, they were showing comparisons but not transferring anyone. Surprised to get a two year fix at a reasonable price.

Only people who save are the billing company as they don't have to send anyone out to read it.
I think it's all a farce , how can people still be getting gas and electricity when the company billing them has gone bust, oh yes that's right it's the same gas and electric that next door has, comes from the national grid.
Biggest racket going I hope they all go bust and we are left with British Gas and Midlands electric. Bloody joke

Only people who save are the billing company as they don't have to send anyone out to read it.
I think it's all a farce , how can people still be getting gas and electricity when the company billing them has gone bust, oh yes that's right it's the same gas and electric that next door has, comes from the national grid.
Biggest racket going I hope they all go bust and we are left with British Gas and Midlands electric. Bloody joke

I had forgotten about the old MEB.