Jonah's Really REALLY Interesting Thread | Page 261 | Vital Football

Jonah's Really REALLY Interesting Thread

Perhaps you need to liven up the bin collection discussions. Its a bit like we all have to do, with alot of things after a few years together.

I am sure Mrs SD held onto your every word, about the bins with delight when you were first married.

Though it would have been less complex then as we didn't have so many types of bin collections.

I'm sure you can get her interested again if you find some interesting analogies for discussing bin days.

Perhaps you could liken it to her trips to the hairdressers or shopping 😏😎😏
Whoa there KK that sounds expensive.

This post is FAR too interesting for this thread John!!

But do you know what, I had absolutely no idea Belfast was bombed during the war - it has literally never occurred to me until tonight that Northern Ireland would have been involved. How ridiculous is that? I am now going to do some research on the matter, feeling suitably humbled.

Yup, I've been told that particular night was the worst ever Blitz in the UK, apart from London.
The Belfast I grew up in (I was conceived towards the end of the war) was pockmarked with bomb sites for many years.
My late mother had her 17th birthday that particular day and was able (along with her siblings) to "celebrate" the event by watching the bombardment from about 40 miles away in Dunloy, her mother's home village, to which they'd been evacuated.
Another aunt by marriage (still alive) was roused from her sleep by her mother and the family then spent the night in an air raid shelter. When they returned the following morning, their house had been flattened. Besides the clothes they were wearing, all that remained was a sewing machine. They were not the only ones to be left homeless.
The Irish government sent a number of fire tenders and voluntary firefighters across the border to help. (The then Free State was neutral during WW2.) I met one of those firefighters here in Dublin over 20 years ago. He told me a little about it and how the Belfast and Dublin Fire Brigades used to have annual reunions to mark the time they had fought the flames together.
A few weeks later, the Germans dropped bombs in Dublin and 28 people were killed. It was claimed to be an accident but some thought it was a retaliation for the Dublin government having the temerity to go to the aid of the beleagured people of Belfast.

Afternoon all.

Bin night tonight, said bin is already stuffed full of tasty recycling for the machine with wheels to gobble it all up.

Our bin collections are now carried out by private contractors. There are a number of them so not a day (apart from Sunday) goes by without a bin truck backing into our cul-de-sac. There are also, as you know, three types of receptable, all collected separately naturally.
With the pandemic we also have many more home deliveries than previously. You can imagine the carnage when Thornton Recycling, Tesco, the Post Office and Fastway Couriers arrive more or less simultaneously.
(Oh, and there's quite a bit of parking on the road too.)

Morning all.

Imagine my incredulity at Mrs M last night when she asked me if it was food waste collection today. Ffs. It is every week. And has been for the 11 years we have been living here and the 6 years where our previous house was as well.
Staggering lack of bin knowledge.

Morning all.

Imagine my incredulity at Mrs M last night when she asked me if it was food waste collection today. Ffs. It is every week. And has been for the 11 years we have been living here and the 6 years where our previous house was as well.
Needs to go on a re education course Melon.

Morning all.

Morning all.

She will be wanting the heating on next MD.

Oh dear. Sad to report a less than satisfactory bin collection and ridiculous breach of etiquette by my neighbours.

The lazy twat bin men have emptied the food waste and left it lying on its side. Shambolic.

My neighbours opposite have for some inexplicable reason left a general waste bin bag next to their recycling bin with recycling waste in. This is against the rules and therefore will not be collected. They have lived here longer than us.
I call them The Dingles for a reason.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Sad to report a less than satisfactory bin collection and ridiculous breach of etiquette by my neighbours.

The lazy twat bin men have emptied the food waste and left it lying on its side. Shambolic.

My neighbours opposite have for some inexplicable reason left a general waste bin bag next to their recycling bin with recycling waste in. This is against the rules and therefore will not be collected. They have lived here longer than us.
I call them The Dingles for a reason.
Hope they are not on Vital.