Johno bite? | Vital Football

Johno bite?

Bloomeram

Alert Team
Well, I suppose we all saw the scenes after Keogh was horribly fouled and Stoke had Etebo red carded rightly given a straight red card but can you actually get a retrospective ban for biting someone's shirt?

Well, that is how it seemed to me and the video evidence seems to suggest that. There are also reports in the media who also say he sank his teeth into Joe Alan's shirt.

Alan himself to his credit has said the incident was not serious, although the statement also suggests that Johnson didn't make contact with his skin, contrary to the huge welt that appeared on the neck of Johnson after the incident, which looked like Alan has racked his thumb or nails along his neck.johno bite.jpg

Having passed both the FA and KNVB refereeing exams, I will give my take on events.

1. Ref did a great job letting the heat go out of the situation and consulting with his assistants before passing judgment.

2. Red for Etopo was 100% correct.

3. Yellow for Allen was 100% wrong. He sprinted 10 yards to attack BJ from behind grabbing him round the neck. That should have been red.

4. Yellow for BJ was 100% wrong. BJ retaliated. Retaliation is, almost always, punished more harshly than the original offence that caused the retaliation. BJ should have got red.

5. The next step? BJ may well end up on an FA charge a la Suarez.

6. There are suggestions that Allen also bitten BJ. If so, he may also end up on an FA charge a la Suarez.

Last edited:
So in net terms the ref, whilst being wrong, got it right - ie we had more players by one than they did. In terms of defusing the situation the two wrongs probably did make a right?

Not really Roger, 10 v 9 and them without Allen would have seen a completely different outcome IMO.

I think that, had the Etopo incident not happened and the melee arose solely from BJs push on Allen that both would have walked. The ref bottled it, probably not wanting to have too much influence on the game yet his very (in)action did have too much influence......

Having passed both the FA and KNVB refereeing exams, I will give my take on events.

1. Ref did a great job letting the heat go out of the situation and consulting with his assistants before passing judgment.

2. Red for Etopo was 100% correct.

3. Yellow for Allen was 100% wrong. He sprinted 10 yards to attack BJ from behind grabbing him round the neck. That should have been red.

4. Yellow for BJ was 100% wrong. BJ retaliated. Retaliation is, almost always, punished more harshly than the original offence that caused the retaliation. BJ should have got red.

5. The next step? BJ may well end up on an FA charge a la Suarez.

6. There are suggestions that Allen also bitten BJ. If so, he may also end up on an FA charge a la Suarez.
Fair assessment but there was certainly more to the Johnson incident than meets the eye. Johno was assaulted after the initial foul on Keogh by at least three players, then one player was in the face of the referee for all of the time he had words with his lino, he, in my opinion, was trying to influence the ref and should also have been booked after refusing to back away even though the referee told him to on several occasions.

To be honest after reading further reports and looking at the photos, you can tell Alan didn't want Johnson punished by the FA because closer scrutinization of his part in the mele and further injury to Johnson (scratch to right side of his neck) would implicate himself in matters which demanded retrospective punishment by the FA.

It seems to me that we never do well when an opponent goes down to 10 men. QPR at Wembley springs to mind but I think this has happened a few times since. Is it some sort of divine retribution for the "we only had 10 men" aeroplance against the red dogs?

Stoke were defending for their lives as the posession stats prove but we simply didn't have the speed or guile to get in shots.

All too often attacks stopped when Malone got the ball on the sideline with his back to it. For some reason he didn't try to beat the full back. He was either unwilling to, or simply can't, use his right foot. The one time he did put a right foot cross in it sailed harmlessly over the line for a goal kick. His one decent left foot cross saw Marriott hit the bar. Malone can and must do better. He has done better in a Derby shirt and needs to do that again starting with Swansea tomorrow.

Latest Rams News