John White , the ghost of White Hart Lane | Vital Football

John White , the ghost of White Hart Lane

Walthamstow wanderer

Alert Team
Staff member
Just for Fevvers .! A thread on John White ., as requested
I can remember standing in the corner , directly opposite where the players came out at the Park Lane end , watching the games through the hoops that formed the top of the perimeter wall . When we had a corner where I was standing, John White would be two foot away from me . I marvelled at his boots which resembled carpet slippers compared to the ones I played in . Mine really were boots ! We always gave him the “‘hello John “ and he would always look and smile .
Absolutely incredible player . I just couldn’t believe it when I heard the news . What a horrible day that was . I was playing Subuteo against my mate when his dad came in and told us .

He was a wonderful, special creative midfield player.
I took my accountancy training next door to the Spurs ground. My boss went to a Rotary Club meeting at The Cambridge pub in Edmonton just after John White so tragically died. Billy Nick was the guest speaker and he recounted how much of a tragedy it had been in that it had been his intention to rebuild the team around him. All at once the main man had been taken away. A sad memory.
What might have been from 1964 onwards!

I've told this story before, but seems fitting to ad to this thread.

My uncle Archie played football with John White for years before he joined Spurs. He was a family friend. My cousins back in Scotland all hang out with the Whites. Edwin White passed passed a few days ago I believe. Eddie White, son of Edwin White sent me a friend request on FB.

JW was such an inspiration to all that played around him, and to all his supporters. God only know the heights he could've reached here on earth.

Having read Pompey's post that contained a reference to Johnny white " the ghost" I thought it would be interesting to see how many on here had actually seen him in action and had memories as I have.
The fond memories, though not as many as I had thought, were great to read. Thanks for the memories!
I left England in November '61 so only had a couple of seasons worth but when number son was old enough to be interested in football he had a lot of ear bashing about Spurs players especially Johnny White and non-spursers, Eusebio and Bert Trautmann.