Johan Lange Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Johan Lange Thread

No but we have to make more of our own talent instead of letting them go for free - as you know Dumble.

Get a few gems for 50k - £1m and even if we decide they aren't good enough for us, bring in £500k for the £50k signings and £5m for the £1m signings and we're printing our own money for FFP purposes.

Problem is them players who are worth £1m as soon as a prem club makes an enquiry they are £10m to buy

I know bugger all about this bloke and don't fully know what his role entails. But, if in 3 years time I'm not seeing our 'dregs' and 'cast-offs' playing for 'lesser' teams at our level or above, then I'll be happy.

That would require decent signings, decent training and development and a team with some sort of cohesion.

Hopefully, this guy can help with that.

No, disagree mate. It's about finding the gems and clocking early - Mahrez took 3-4 yrs to hit the ground for Leicester. With a better track record Vardy still took 2/3 seasons etc.

I agree there will be a price inflation when we look back at older deals so maybe £50K wasn't the right level - but you can still get them at that level ish when 16-18 etc and that has to be what we are now looking for.

That's how the Academy should work and don't forget, over a decade ago maybe more we paid £1million for Mika Aaritalo (sp) and he ran his contract down and left for free. We could've at least, based on his talent and hype, got £1.25m back.

It all nullifies the cost of development and creates profit.

People wonder how Leicester dealt with FFP given their spending and revenue - Vardy came in for £1m. Mahrez came in for either £250K or £450K. They sold him for what 60+ million? That is pure unadulterated profit on FFP.

I wasn't saying expensive signings, Mike. I was suggesting ones that could be developed or would fit our style of play (I don't believe we have one, yet).

Ones that we wouldn't have to cast out because they hadn't had the opportunity to develop enough. Football is littered with ex-villa players and it's gutting to see how many were ones we thought were no good yet have gone on to equal and often better what our teams have done.

To back up my point, as far as I can tell, all the players listed below were let go by the Villa, not wanted to go (i.e. not included Benteke as he wanted to leave us).
They all played this season in teams that finished above us.

Leicester - Albrighton
Burnley - Lowton, Westwood
Wolves - Traore
Palace - Ayew, Cahill (Chelsea)
Sheff Utd - Enda Stevens, Callum Robinson

So we employ someone from a small club in a foreign small league With a remit to buy cheap and sell at a profit.

No wonder Jack is undecided as to his future.

They are the biggest team in Denmark and own their own stadium which is only a little smaller than Villa Park. They're certainly not Barcelona but play in Europe regularly, having even reached the group stages of the Champions League. In all, they've played 84 Champions League/European Cup games and have won 37 matches.
Not entirely small beer.

To back up my point, as far as I can tell, all the players listed below were let go by the Villa, not wanted to go (i.e. not included Benteke as he wanted to leave us).
They all played this season in teams that finished above us.

Leicester - Albrighton
Burnley - Lowton, Westwood
Wolves - Traore
Palace - Ayew, Cahill (Chelsea)
Sheff Utd - Enda Stevens, Callum Robinson

The Cahill and Albrighton ones were both criminal in my opinion. Cahill especially as none of the centre backs MON bought himself were even a quarter as good but were shit on the ball so he preferred them.

I’m wondering if this appointment is even bigger than I first thought.

The board statement came from NSWE not Purslow. Yes he is CEO so why did he not announce this? Have his knuckles been rapped due to his appointment of Pitarch.

Reading the statement again, it seems that Lange‘s remit stretches across the whole club and he really is in effect in charge of recruitment and all football matters leaving Purslow to concentrate on the commercial and operational issues. So DS reports to Lange as does the Academy boss. This is a massive job and makes Lange the guy that we will focus on, rather than 57’s Mr Slimy.

it seems the owners aren’t so happy but are totally committed. I wonder what connections Lange will have with Vittoria or whatever NS’s Portuguese club is called. At least that deal seems more practical than Dr T’s plans for India.

The Cahill and Albrighton ones were both criminal in my opinion. Cahill especially as none of the centre backs MON bought himself were even a quarter as good but were shit on the ball so he preferred them.
Classic MON, thinking of the here and now. Cahill for what it's worth took a few years to get going at Bolton but it's funny to think we had a centre half on our hands who went on to have 60 odd England caps and win two leagues and a champions league.

Like most on here I'd never heard of this guy before yesterday so I'll reserve judgement til he's been in the job for a good amount of time.

His record at Copenhagen is impressive but its totally different circumstances. They are the biggest and probably richest club in Scandinavia let alone Denmark so finding and persuading the better young players from the region to come there probably isn't a particularly difficult task.

Presumably his job here will be to identify both players for now and for the future. Will we become something like Chelsea, loaning players out till they're ready for our own first team or to be sold for a profit? Does his record suggest that he's solely going to be looking for these hidden gems whilst whoever the manager is has more power over signings for the first team?

Good luck to him.

Like most on here I'd never heard of this guy before yesterday so I'll reserve judgement til he's been in the job for a good amount of time.

His record at Copenhagen is impressive but its totally different circumstances. They are the biggest and probably richest club in Scandinavia let alone Denmark so finding and persuading the better young players from the region to come there probably isn't a particularly difficult task.

Presumably his job here will be to identify both players for now and for the future. Will we become something like Chelsea, loaning players out till they're ready for our own first team or to be sold for a profit? Does his record suggest that he's solely going to be looking for these hidden gems whilst whoever the manager is has more power over signings for the first team?

Good luck to him.
Well the first team coach at Copenhagen seems to have little to no say over recruitment but 100% say over style of play, and it was Lange's job to sign players that fitted into that.

I'd say he will slot straight into that role, presumably the same role that Suso was doing, looking at Dean Smith's tactical style, the sort of players he gets the best out of and fit the squad, young players with potential to increase in value.

Albrighton was ridiculous yes, but remember Cahill was demanding a starting spot when he wasn't in the top two CBs at the club. As promising as he was you can't have (especially young) players making demands like that to a manager's authority.

Albrighton was ridiculous yes, but remember Cahill was demanding a starting spot when he wasn't in the top two CBs at the club. As promising as he was you can't have (especially young) players making demands like that to a manager's authority.

Yes, people forget we were a top 6 club and Cahill left for £5m which was a good price at the time, he took 4 years to develop at Bolton and helped them to get relegated before Chelsea deemed him good enough. We wouldn't have been top 6 if he'd been given a chance we'd have been Bolton. one of the few we've actually got money for.

They are the biggest team in Denmark and own their own stadium which is only a little smaller than Villa Park. They're certainly not Barcelona but play in Europe regularly, having even reached the group stages of the Champions League. In all, they've played 84 Champions League/European Cup games and have won 37 matches.
Not entirely small beer.

So smaller than us.

When citeh went for it they grabbed the guy from Barcelona.

We have now become small time despite the bollocks being spouted by our owners. Even some of our fans are happy for us to become the new Burnley.

I’m wondering if this appointment is even bigger than I first thought.

The board statement came from NSWE not Purslow. Yes he is CEO so why did he not announce this? Have his knuckles been rapped due to his appointment of Pitarch.

Reading the statement again, it seems that Lange‘s remit stretches across the whole club and he really is in effect in charge of recruitment and all football matters leaving Purslow to concentrate on the commercial and operational issues. So DS reports to Lange as does the Academy boss. This is a massive job and makes Lange the guy that we will focus on, rather than 57’s Mr Slimy.

it seems the owners aren’t so happy but are totally committed. I wonder what connections Lange will have with Vittoria or whatever NS’s Portuguese club is called. At least that deal seems more practical than Dr T’s plans for India.
As much as the January window was a disaster, I honestly think those comments that Pitarch made in the media during lockdown are the reason he was sacked. Certainly they would have been the straw that broke the camels back.... And that's why the owners made the statement in my humble opinion. Pitarch's public comments were as a senior employee of Aston Villa and were a direct contradiction of the club's stance. I give the owners credit for waiting until the end of the season....

Yes, people forget we were a top 6 club and Cahill left for £5m which was a good price at the time, he took 4 years to develop at Bolton and helped them to get relegated before Chelsea deemed him good enough. We wouldn't have been top 6 if he'd been given a chance we'd have been Bolton. one of the few we've actually got money for.
We sold Cahill for 5m and replaced him with Davies who was 12m though. Davies wasnt a bad player either to be fair.