Johan Lange Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

Johan Lange Thread

Or just simply let go without even a nominal fee coming in as we let the contracts drain down.

It all helps and counts and it's been a trick we've consistently ignored for some bizarre reason.

I'm liking this. If you ask me why Randy failed I would say it was his poor appointments and club managerial/Director level.

I like the way these guys work. They may pluck some obscure (to us) geezer from who knows where but this "recruit, us, fire, recruit" approach seems to work for some of the top clubs in Europe.

Hire 'em, bleed 'em dry and fire 'em. I hate the ruthlessness but it works.

Don't think it can be the same remit, at least as regards recruitment. A key aim of ours is to build a team which can compete in the upper levels of the PL, not make a profit on players to sustain the financial side of the club. However, maybe it's thought that his overall recruitment experience and contacts will be good for us.

Dortmund are the model to follow (if you can take away whatever weird bias held toward Bellingham).

We have an advantage over Dortmund in that the EPL is where the eyes are. We could build, sustain and blow past Dortmund as a model. I dont think they will ever be able to outgrow their position they are in because German Football just doesnt have the same appeal.

The flip side and biggest disadvantage we have vs. Dortmund is that if a player gets good enough we might have to face them regularly.

Copenhagen doesn't fill you with glee who are they in the football world someone from Brazil might make me sit up or germany or dutch even we'll see .wolves binned him then they got there better players

Had a little read of a couple of articles there, seems he's done magical things with Copenhagen in terms of buying extremely cheap players and turning over a huge profit from their sales. Hopefully the owners aren't planning on turning us into a selling club again.

I do agree but ultimately virtually every club in the world is a selling club to some degree, I hope it’s not the business model as such but inevitably at times we may do that. Sounds like he did a good job at Copenhagen, difference here is hopefully we hold on to the majority is successes rather than sell, but no doubt exceptions to the rule.

As for his CV and size of club, Suso had a good CV on paper but general consensus was that he was poor. It’s about his systems and processes to identify the players and make sure they are suitable, rather than his CV.

I don’t think most players will give a flying fuck as to who he is, when it comes down to the transfer negotiation. More about the owners (wealth) and the manager.

I do agree but ultimately virtually every club in the world is a selling club to some degree, I hope it’s not the business model as such but inevitably at times we may do that. Sounds like he did a good job at Copenhagen, difference here is hopefully we hold on to the majority is successes rather than sell, but no doubt exceptions to the rule.
As long as we aren't developing players and then selling them at their peak like we did under Lerner. It's incredibly heartbreaking for us fans to get so close to champions league football only for an owner to sell the stars to make a quick buck.

As long as we aren't developing players and then selling them at their peak like we did under Lerner. It's incredibly heartbreaking for us fans to get so close to champions league football only for an owner to sell the stars to make a quick buck.
We havent been any where near Champions League football since MON left.

Had a little read of a couple of articles there, seems he's done magical things with Copenhagen in terms of buying extremely cheap players and turning over a huge profit from their sales. Hopefully the owners aren't planning on turning us into a selling club again.
Buying players and selling for a profit is a sign you got your recruitment right, so I’d look at that as a positive that he has a proven record of good recruitment rather than as an immediate sign of us becoming a selling club.

Obviously the financial situation is very different in the Danish League, they probably have very limited budgets to start with and rely on these transfer profits to survive and progress which a a far cry to the insane money that flows around the PL

Given the phase of life we're in as a club I feel like we need to change our perspective. FFP is essentially a barrier to entry and modern football has really taken a turn because of it.

- Look at Kelechi Ihenacho - it seems as though he is being touted at 30MM. 30MM for a 23 y.o. kid who has 117 apps and 21 goals in the Premier League.
- Nathan Ake is a good defender with time to grow but again 40MM for a central defender who has just been relegated with his club.

Striking a balance between value and quality today is insanely difficult. Everton have poured money into that team, they certainly have not got value for money there.

The only concern is the same type of concern you'd have employing an off-field person from Brentford. This guy is now in a whole different ball game. Even if you bring the transfer fee's down relative to the club, the conditions/expectations and definition of success is wildly different.

personally id like to give the guy a go before we start running him down. To be fair the majority of scandinavians who have come into english football has been overall successful.

Until we see what he does we wont have an idea of how good he is, but to be honest he cant be no worse than the last few blokes we've had. I read somewhere on here that it would have been better if hed been brazilian, that baffles me. As long as he can spot a good player, and remember we cant attract the huge names at the moment, however much we want to think we can, i'll be more than happy

I’ve no idea about the roles and responsibilities of a Sporting Director, but the job title suggests it’s on the top board of a club. I don’t know how the manger fits into that, but all too often it seems Sporting Directors act like they’re more important than the manager. I would hope he works to make Deano’s like easier, but they work together to get the players in for the style of play and formation - not like us who seem to have a transfer policy of buying players who fit into a 4-4-2.

I get the logic of a Sporting Director to get the infrastructure, scouting and processes in place for continuity with the manager merry go round but for me, that relationship is important.

Haven't heard of the guy but as with any Villa appt wish him all the luck in the world. From what I've read he certainly seems to be held in high regard so that'll do for me....until we're in the bottom 3 next April with virtually no chance of survival....but if so Mr Purslow will have something to answer for....big appt for him me thinks. Judging by the owners comments today, which I found very encouraging, they wont accept mediocrity and struggle for too long so here's hoping Mr Lange transfers the success he's had at Copenhagen to the bigger stage. Wouldn't it be great if a Villa appt off field turned out to be an inspired one.... we're due one by the law of averages surely!

Given the phase of life we're in as a club I feel like we need to change our perspective. FFP is essentially a barrier to entry and modern football has really taken a turn because of it.

- Look at Kelechi Ihenacho - it seems as though he is being touted at 30MM. 30MM for a 23 y.o. kid who has 117 apps and 21 goals in the Premier League.
- Nathan Ake is a good defender with time to grow but again 40MM for a central defender who has just been relegated with his club.

Striking a balance between value and quality today is insanely difficult. Everton have poured money into that team, they certainly have not got value for money there.

The only concern is the same type of concern you'd have employing an off-field person from Brentford. This guy is now in a whole different ball game. Even if you bring the transfer fee's down relative to the club, the conditions/expectations and definition of success is wildly different.
Transfer fees are crazy at the moment. I don’t think anyone knows what real value is, clubs are refusing to sell in fear of missing out on potentially higher bids, which is pushing prices up further which then exacerbates the situation and I don’t think anyone knows where it will end.

This guys job will be to unearth talent which is not currently appreciated by other clubs. If we go for “obvious” talent you’d easily start dishing out 70m+ on players like Zaha... good players but would burn through the budget in an instant. We’ve got to find our edge by being smarter in our transfers not just by spending more. Some might call it “moneyball” but using modern advanced methods to identify players in different ways is how we can compete and is what this guy will be judged on based on his previous record of identifying undervalued talent.

Last edited:
I dont suppose its the sell on fee's part that has interested us, more the unearthing gems. In modern football its critical you can identify players who aren't household names with ridiculous fees attached to them. We've tried it for years now, but not been very good at it. At least we have finally appointed someone who has proven success in it.
I know nothing about this guy but I agree with your sentiments completely!

Nothing the owners have said or done so far suggests to me they aren’t willing to splash the cash on top players if we can attract them. But that alone is not enough these days...

No but we have to make more of our own talent instead of letting them go for free - as you know Dumble.

Get a few gems for 50k - £1m and even if we decide they aren't good enough for us, bring in £500k for the £50k signings and £5m for the £1m signings and we're printing our own money for FFP purposes.