Johan Lange Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

Johan Lange Thread

Dendoncker is a regular squad member and is a good value signing on that basis.

With a single manager-signing in Moreno we shot up the league under Emery. So has Emery made all these bad signings look good or could it have been that the previous manager was making good players - even McGinn, Ramsey, Konsa - look bad?

As for making mistakes in signings, we were a lower mid-table club having to gamble on players who weren't going to go to top 6 clubs. Look at basically everyone in that part of the league as realistic comparison. Lange did fine.

I think we all suspect Gerrard was Purslow's man but fine put him in Lange's "against" column but if you're going to do that, put everything positive that happened here during his tenure in his "for" column. Fair's fair.
I've given the man his dues, I think he is highly responsible for the structure of the club in its current form. I don't want him to leave because the arse could fall out of this whole thing if/when Emery goes. I think the reason we have stability is because of him. I don't think we had any of the structure a modern football club needs prior to his arrival.

Lange was hardly here a wet week when we signed the core of the first XI. Bar Kamara, Diego's injury and for fairness Digne. The rest of Langes men are in and out of the team.

I do think Emery is as much a factor as the prior managers too. It feels like the players were played -20% under Gerrard and Emery is getting +10% out of them.

We will miss him but I don't think we'll miss him too much from a recruitment standpoint. I think thats the plus and minus of Monchi vs. Lange. It'll be interesting to see the difference in talent ID between Monchi and Lange. My feeling is Lange excels at cold hard data and the type of things you'd associate with the corporate and business world. While Monchi likely has the stronger skills of a traditional football man.

I've given the man his dues, I think he is highly responsible for the structure of the club in its current form. I don't want him to leave because the arse could fall out of this whole thing if/when Emery goes. I think the reason we have stability is because of him. I don't think we had any of the structure a modern football club needs prior to his arrival.

Lange was hardly here a wet week when we signed the core of the first XI. Bar Kamara, Diego's injury and for fairness Digne. The rest of Langes men are in and out of the team.

I do think Emery is as much a factor as the prior managers too. It feels like the players were played -20% under Gerrard and Emery is getting +10% out of them.

We will miss him but I don't think we'll miss him too much from a recruitment standpoint. I think thats the plus and minus of Monchi vs. Lange. It'll be interesting to see the difference in talent ID between Monchi and Lange. My feeling is Lange excels at cold hard data and the type of things you'd associate with the corporate and business world. While Monchi likely has the stronger skills of a traditional football man.

The arse has fallen out of Villarreal since Emery left.

Yep, the structure was Lange's work. Manager aside, the sporting side of the club came on leaps and bounds under him.

Big Cuts tells the story about him taking Martinez's name to Lange and ensuring he was in the mix and Lange did the right thing and listened to the expert, so he had a direct hand in Emi's signing - a different SD may not have done that. No other players were coming here without his sign-off and in fact he did stop some signings happening if the stories about Tarkowski are true. Every player who came here under Lange had to be okayed by him.

Totally agree about the underperformance under previous managers and Emery bringing the best out of them, but you can't make crap players good.

Don't get me wrong, I think the set up we have now will be better, I'm just trying to get a little respect put on Lange's name for getting the club to a position where someone like Emery thought us worth a go.

Last edited:
Think today was his last day . I know he didn't get everything right but overall he's been a part of the journey and helped us , things have moved on though. So good luck to him personally but obviously don't want him doing too well at Spurs .

Think today was his last day . I know he didn't get everything right but overall he's been a part of the journey and helped us , things have moved on though. So good luck to him personally but obviously don't want him doing too well at Spurs .
I think the biggest contribution from him was helping to build a good structure and solid foundation around what we do. Whatever mistakes we made with him overall its probably like a B+ from him.