Joey Barton (n/g) | Vital Football

Joey Barton (n/g)

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Will be taking over the reins at Fleetwood in the summer. Either going to be a masterstroke or he'll be gone before the leaves fall off the trees.

Masterstroke...Brilliant appointment for Fleetwood Town

I went to Blackpool vs Fleetwood on Saturday and the view up there is he’s more of a stop-gap and won’t be in it for the long-haul as they’re looking at one of the current coaches long-term. Though that was before today’s announcement.

I think that’s what the cab driver was saying, anyway!

With his legendary inability to hold his tongue with those who annoy him, I am thrilled at the prospect of him coaching Fleetwood. Sweepstake on the first player he has his first altercation with?

With his legendary inability to hold his tongue with those who annoy him, I am thrilled at the prospect of him coaching Fleetwood. Sweepstake on the first player he has his first altercation with?
Paddy Madden hands down. Paddy booted a bottle in front of me when subbed, then sprayed the home fans with water when they scored, causing a bit of a scene including two Blackpool teens emptying their soft drinks over the away bench:whist::unsure:

What a great role model for young pros

Agreed - everyone looks at the off field issues, but he was hard worker, committed to his teams, and he made the most of his ability. Gillingham could do with a Joey Barton on the pitch.

I always found Robbie Savage to be a similar sort of player. Everyone hated him but I always held out a very slim hope that we could get him one day.
I would hazard a guess that Hess had a similar rep amongst some of our opponents but he always put in 100% for us.

Agree Nobby. I love the types of players like Hess, Gregan, Savage, Vinnie Jones etc. who, whilst not the most technically gifted, gave their all for the team.

The Fleetwood Chairman knows him well and the Burnley fans love him. Give him the benefit of the doubt, I say.

There's also lots of people/clubs that hate him? I don't quite see your point Wayne.
My point is that at Burnley where he made a real impact the fans speak highly of him. Those that hate him are the usual small minded football fans who simply jump on the band wagon without really knowing the reason why. Even Fleetwood fans who were challenged on a local news programme couldn't explain why they disliked him. I can; it's small mindedness.

My point is that at Burnley where he made a real impact the fans speak highly of him. Those that hate him are the usual small minded football fans who simply jump on the band wagon without really knowing the reason why. Even Fleetwood fans who were challenged on a local news programme couldn't explain why they disliked him. I can; it's small mindedness.

Nothing to do with his thuggery then? For which he now has a criminal conviction as well.

Nothing to do with his thuggery then? For which he now has a criminal conviction as well.
It's like he's the only footballer ever involved in incidents but I never hear people talk of others. That's because the great unwashed, including those on this forum who have condemned him, can't be arsed to dig a bit deeper and name others.

Erm apart from maybe Nile Ranger I don't think there's many footballers with such a record of repeatedly being a prick.

Add to the list Barton's ban for betting on football which doesn't even make Madrid's list.

Marlon King?

Also left off the list was that strange French accent he put on while he was playing for Marseille, Christ knows what that was all about.

It's like he's the only footballer ever involved in incidents but I never hear people talk of others. That's because the great unwashed, including those on this forum who have condemned him, can't be arsed to dig a bit deeper and name others.

No. I merely indicated a valid reason why some people may dislike him as that is what the thread is titled. You need to learn that people who don't share your exact views are not all imbeciles. Not everyone is a Wayne Kerr.