Joey B in trouble - old news? | Vital Football

Joey B in trouble - old news?

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
Apparently Barton is in court tomorrow on a charge of “beating” a lady a month ago in London

This seems like 3 month old, 1 year old, 5 year old news to me. But was it actually known about before today?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport...n-court-5696359.amp?__twitter_impression=true

In the readers replies (and on twitter), it sounds like even the Rovers fans that supported him before are now completely off him. And questions raised why the club and newspapers haven’t reported it until today when he’s been actively recruiting for the club right up until now.

It does appear that Barton has anger issues.
I think that he maybe needs a bit of time away from the game.
What surprised me was Rovers board allowing him to sign players with this hanging over his head, as well as the previous deferred charge.
Maybe they were not aware but the report said that the charge was from early June.
All pretty strange.

It does appear that Barton has anger issues.
I think that he maybe needs a bit of time away from the game.
What surprised me was Rovers board allowing him to sign players with this hanging over his head, as well as the previous deferred charge.
Maybe they were not aware but the report said that the charge was from early June.
All pretty strange.

The Rovers chairman is minted but clearly can’t run a football club. They change managers more frequently than I change underwear, poor appointments, huge and unbalanced a quad, bad player acquisitions. Very much a case of more money than sense.

I will absolutely not be defending him! A man who assaults a woman is a scumbag! I have defended him before, but these are different circumstances! By all accounts, the person he assaulted was his wife! Not acceptable!

I will absolutely not be defending him! A man who assaults a woman is a scumbag! I have defended him before, but these are different circumstances! By all accounts, the person he assaulted was his wife! Not acceptable!

Pleased to hear it, after you’d defended all his other misdemeanours :grinning:

Such a nice lad, his parents must be so proud of his woman beating. What has happened to the other incident when he allegedly attacked the other football manager (name escapes me) about 18 months ago?

Such a nice lad, his parents must be so proud of his woman beating. What has happened to the other incident when he allegedly attacked the other football manager (name escapes me) about 18 months ago?

I think there is another case waiting trial. Not sure if it’s the manager one or another incident.

The trial was postponed. Tried to do it via video link with the other manager, now based in Germany, and proved too difficult. They'll try again when he can come to the UK to give evidence.

In other news Giggsy kicks partner in the back, coercive behaviour etc. Football needs a champion to address a longstanding issue.

Although based upon prior behaviour I would not be surprised of the outcome, the fact he hasn't been to court yet means he is still technically innocent until proven guilty, even if in the age of social media a person is guilty until proven innocent**

If you think back to Nile Ranger being accused of rape back in the day with people demanding Swindon fire him and that he was banned from football for life, after going to court he was found not guilty and acquitted.

His club was probably aware of the new charges and will probably know more details than currently reported in the media. Their hesitation could be down to:

a) based upon additional knowledge they believe he will be found not guilty. If they fire him and he is cleared then he could probably sue for wrongful dismissal.
b) as a result of the prior charge from 2019 they put a clause in his contact to say he can be fired without compensation if convicted and will wait for a guilty verdit.

Even if they think he could be found guilty, the fact he wasn't fired despite relegation suggests they have confidence in his manager ability and trust him to put together a good squad for whoever would take over. If they didn't trust him to spend the cash and he was fired at the end of the week upon being found guilty then the new manager would only have a week to put together a squad.

** and even if found innocent they are still probably guilty and it is fault of the police to get a conviction.

That’s exactly why people are suspended on full pay pending enquiries Rob.
It’s quite normal business practice.
It does appear that Rovers directors have either tried to brush it under the carpet or actually didn’t know.

Today - Bristol Rovers owner, speaking about violence. He said, any club employees who are convicted of such offences "will be dismissed immediately"

Pretty clear.