Joe Bunney Left Back | Vital Football

Joe Bunney Left Back

SaskPool

Vital Football Legend
Blackpool have completed the signing of Northampton Town left-back Joe Bunney on a season-long loan deal, announced the club’s website.
The 24-year-old made just 12 appearances for the Cobblers last season after signing from Rochdale in the January transfer window.

Bunney comes in as a replacement for last season’s first choice left-back Colin Daniel who moved to League One rivals Peterborough United when his contract expired at the end of May.
The Seasider’s manager Gary Bowyer is delighted to have Bunney on board for the season.
“Joe has good experience at this level, is great going forward and also has good delivery from set-plays,” Bowyer told the club’s website.
“He’s shown a real desire to come and join us and we are delighted to have him.”
Bunney is also eager to get going at his new club, and insists his attacking prowess is one of his strongest traits.

“I’m here to create goals and see how far we can get up the table,” he told the official website.
“I’m delighted to be here and I can’t wait to get going. The lads are back in on Wednesday so we can hit the ground running, hopefully.”
The verdict
Bunney did not have a great time with the Cobblers last season, joining in January with the club already on the slide down the table.
But he impressed during his time at Rochdale where he made over 150 appearances and is a solid League One left-back, capable of creating goals as well as stopping them.
It remains to be seen whether he will be able to recapture the form he showed at Rochdale and it will be up to Bowyer to get the best out of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackpool’s latest signing Joe Bunney says relocating to the north-west was a major factor in his decision.

The Northampton Town left-back, who has played most of his senior football over five years at Rochdale, has signed for the Seasiders on a season-long loan deal.
The 24-year-old made 12 appearances for the Cobblers last season after signing for the club for an undisclosed fee during the January transfer window, having made 150 appearances for Dale.
The Manchester-born defender, relegated to League Two during a tough few months with the Cobblers, moved to Blackpool in time for the start of pre-season training this week.
And Bunney can’t wait to make a fresh start closer to home.
He said: “I wanted to come back to the north-west. I don’t think living away was really for me. “I struggled moving away, so coming back to the north-west is a good move for me if I can get settled here back in League One. “I’ve been speaking to the manager for the last two or three weeks, so I’m delighted to finally get it over the line. I can’t wait to get going now.
“The manager was really good with me. He showed an interest in me and as soon as I heard they were interested I was all over coming here.” On the books of Lancaster City as a youngster, Bunney started his career as a striker but has flourished as an attacking left-back since 2016. Bunney has also spent spells with non-league sides Kendal Town and Northwich Victoria. “I like to get forward and get as many assists as I can, as well as help out the team as much as I can defensively,” he added. “But I’m here to create goals and see how far we can get up the table. “It’s a clean slate with all the lads back in pre-season training, so hopefully we can hit the ground running and take this club back where it should be. “I’ve played against a couple of the lads quite a few times, plus I know a few through mutual friends. “John O’Sullivan and Ollie Turton I know, but I’m sure I’ll get on with everyone else.”