Jimmy Armfield | Vital Football

Jimmy Armfield

Nobby_66

Vital Football Hero
Passed away this morning after a long battle with cancer according to reports. Aged 82
RIP , true legend

Sad indeed but, as was pointed out, he'd been ill on and off for a while. Didn't make the '66 teams partly because of injury but due mainly to George Cohen but he's still a legend. RIP.

So much to admire about Jimmy Armfield and his understated demeanour and delivery meant that his achievements are often overlooked. A case in point was his transformation of the wonderful but unloved Leeds United of Don Revie into a free flowing side that only missed the European Cup due to scandalous refereeing. I watched that side a fair bit at the time and it was a pleasure.

A true gentleman both on and off the pitch. Oh for his wise words now to replace the complete tossers like Sutton and Savage.

PhilK66 - 22/1/2018 14:12

A true gentleman both on and off the pitch. Oh for his wise words now to replace the complete tossers like Sutton and Savage.

Agreed Phil, when I worked 8 hour shifts, I used to love my drive home on a Saturday afternoon. I would tune into 5live, whatever match was on, just to listen to his co commentary. No sensationalism, even when being critical, just straight talking polite comment. A true gent by all accounts.