JED - stick or twist | Vital Football

JED - stick or twist

'How long has JED got ?'

I got asked this by a spurs supporter who was surprised we have kept faith with JED; I assume he meant that its the norm to swap managers like underwear rather than Gills itself being an issue.

It took me by surprise and all I could do was smile and make a joke about it, but its a valid question and one that has had me thinking for the past few days.

For me, I would give JED the entire season (even if we are in the bottom 4 come Christmas), at some point you have to stick and go for it; like Barnsley did last season, struggling in December, come May all is good with the world.

So, I say stick with JED, whatever the season brings.

I hope he's learnt from last season whether it be tactics or squad make up. To me, it was simple; we didn't have a consistent striker.

Ive been keeping an eye on the euros, to see if I can spot anything to improve our frontline ... nothing better than what we already have, Cody for England I say!

:-)

Of course this assumes that he will not do well. He might do really well. In that case he has as long as we can keep him :D

However in the unfortunate event we don't do well, I don't think it would be a surprise to say it completely depends on 'how' badly he does. Clearly if we're fighting relegation then he could be looking to receive his P45 around xmas. Or if we're in the low mid table I think most would give him a little longer to show that he's building something with potential for next year. if we are low mid table, seemingly out of sight of the playoffs, and it doesn't look very bright for the next year, then I would want to give him until about March, which then gives us tonnes of time to search for the right man for the job to take us forward, it also then gives the new manager to see the players before the end of the season. He could get to know them and work out which ones he wants to keep to build the team for the next year in good time before the season finishes. For those reasons, March has to be the best time to get rid of a manager if you have to.

I don't think it's up to the club, I think JED is his own man and I'd expect him to move before Christmas unless things change soon or have changed already.

The only explanation for our sudden steep drop in form towards the end of last season was that something was going on behind the scenes. Forget injuries, age and all the other incidentals, something happened at the club around Jan/Feb time that altered the dynamic.

I wasn't sure about him when he first came, but I soon got to like the way he was going about things and the way he had got us playing. But the difference between the way the team played at the start and that which limped across the line at the end was startling.

And yes, I'm prepared for the disagreements and abuse. However I'll stick to my guns because I know I'm right. I don't have an "in" to the club, but something significant changed there and I would be surprised if he hasn't walked before Christmas. And he'll go with my good wishes.

It`s true that our season went south in a big way in Jan/Feb. You could be right about the off-the-field situation; the comment about "over-achieving" might not have gone down well with all at the club. On the other hand, it could simply be that our team, including the management, were unable to deal with the expectation and mounting pressure that inevitably accumulates toward the season end.

I`m hoping that all concerned will have learned lessons. JED ended his first spell with us very well; if he can weld that to the start made last time then 16/17 season could be superb. So it`s a Stick from me.