Jay Fulton | Vital Football

Jay Fulton

KevinE

Alert Team
Hi - Vital Swansea editor here, firstly - congratulations on your League One title win!

I was hoping some of you could help me with an article I'm looking to publish about Jay Fulton and how he performed during his loan spell with you.

Any help is much appreciated! Here's a few questions...Thanks in advance.

1. How did he perform in general? Was he a regular starter or was he in and out of the team?
  2. What were your opinions on him? Would you like to see him back at Wigan?
  3. What were his strengths and weaknesses?
  4. Does he look capable of playing for the Swans again in the Championship?
Thanks for your help, see you next season!

Can’t fault his commitment, threw himself in front of everything in that City game which is rare for a loan player. Decent player, neat and tidy on the ball, good positioning and has a shot on him based on the Walsall game but nothing special about him by any means. Wasn’t as good at Lee Evans and we’ll need better going forward as will you. I suspect he’ll find a good home at a top 8 L1 club.

He scored a great goal in one game, he played real well vs city when he came on, other than that not alot to offer really, he is decent on the ball but a bit skeptical off the ball apart from the city game.

He was good against Man City on the night when everyone played to their best but was quite poor in every other game. In a couple of those games he was quite anonymous and some a liability. He was brought in to compete for the central midfield position Lee Evan vacated when he went to Sheff U but he got his chances and didn't look good enough. After covering for suspensions or international call up for Morsy a couple of games after he first arrived he fell out of the match day squads and wasn't seen again - i don't think anyone argued he should've been used more.

He won't be back at Wigan and i can't see Swansea using him either tbh.

We didnt see loads of him but from what we did see he isn't a good L1 player. On social media Oldham fans said he was poor for them when he was on loan and Swansea fans said he could do a good job for us. We got the Oldham experience.

Thanks for the replies so far all, very useful. I'm surprised and disappointed actually that he didn't make more of an impact as he looked quite solid on the odd occasion he was used in the Premier League. He always looked limited, a defensive midfielder who would sit in that position and rarely move out of it, look to regain possession and quickly get rid to more capable players. Was he the same with you?

Thanks for the replies so far all, very useful. I'm surprised and disappointed actually that he didn't make more of an impact as he looked quite solid on the odd occasion he was used in the Premier League. He always looked limited, a defensive midfielder who would sit in that position and rarely move out of it, look to regain possession and quickly get rid to more capable players. Was he the same with you?
Yep spot on. King’s being far too harsh for whatever reason, he probably wasn’t at the Walsall game. Think is we already have a player who can do that so we need someone next to him who is a little more creative and Fulton wasn’t that player. More than good enough at top level L1.

I was at all the games he played including Walsall away, with the exception of his goal that night he unfortunately wasn't that great. I'd say he was very good against City, quiet against Bury and Walsall (except the goal) and really poor against Oxford and Rochdale.

Some players need time and games to settle into a new club so maybe he'll do better elsewhere, but at that point there was no way we could justify playing him ahead of anyone after how he'd been performing when points were so vital. Maybe we didn't see the best of him but we can only judge on what he delivred in a Latics shirt, and from what he saw he wasn't a patch on Perks who's legs are fading.

Like the overall team, he was poor at Walsall until we scored goals in quick succession. His goal came at a crucial time. After his goal, like the overall team, his confidence flowed and he looked comfortable.

I thought he did okay overall. He didn't have a run of games to give him the chance to fully settle in to the way our manager players.

It is worth noting that our central midfielders have quite a unique role in that as well as being deep, possession based midfielders, they tuck in to cover the full-backs when they push on.

On the whole I'd guess he's a good squad player for you in the Championship but I'd be worried if you are aiming for promotion and are banking on him as part of your first eleven.

Had they not changed things so much, I would have suggested Barnsley being a better bet to send him out on loan to . They have had a far superior record of developing / improving players.
Not sure why he was signed unless there was a chance someone in the squad was possibly about to depart ?

Had they not changed things so much, I would have suggested Barnsley being a better bet to send him out on loan to . They have had a far superior record of developing / improving players.
Not sure why he was signed unless there was a chance someone in the squad was possibly about to depart ?

With Evans going, McDonald getting injured again in Jan and Morsy off on internationals a few games I imagine we just wanted to make sure we wouldn't be caught short. We most likely had Fulton earmarked for the Lee Evans role.

I think if we're being honest he didn't impress nor did he make much of an impact - City game aside, though everyone put their heart and soul into that. In his defence he didn't really get a run in the team as Morsy and Power were the better options. He's not a player we would be clamouring to sign and I'd be concerned if he was to be considered a first choice Championship midfielder. Nothing against the lad so hopefully he will prove us all wrong.

Thanks.

One player who you had out on loan who i thought looked good was Grimes at Northampton, he was impressive on the few occasions i saw him. Good luck for the upcoming season.
Never seen much of him play, he's gone out on loan ever since he joined us, though he did play a few cup games here and there and never looked up to it at this level. But I'm hoping he (and Fulton) can add something next season, we're crying out for something different in midfield.