Jason Shackell | Page 2 | Vital Football

Jason Shackell

Shackell could still be one of the best defenders in this league.
I have no doubt as a highly experienced defender he was more comfortable playing on instinct rather than shackled by a rigid sideways and backwards approach.

Really????? Not sure the style of play has anything to do with the basic defensive mistakes he’s been making. Sunderland away, Gillingham away, Accrington away all saw errors which led directly to goals for the opposition which had nothing to do with our change of style.

Interesting I'm sure he wasn't there yesterday, while other senior players (TJJ, Morrell, Max M, Pett) were, despite presumably having a few days off with no game next week.

Interesting I'm sure he wasn't there yesterday, while other senior players (TJJ, Morrell, Max M, Pett) were, despite presumably having a few days off with no game next week.

Well it might be as simple as that, having a break away.
If he had a niggle for example and knew early in week he would be out, it might have been deemed a chance for a fortnight in the US of A perhaps?

Anyway, we shall find out in due course.
He did have a superb season last year, let's not forget.
And how many players have captained us to League Championships ?

….
He did have a superb season last year, let's not forget.
And how many players have captained us to League Championships ?
Not knocking Shackell's contribution but would be interesting to see the armband stats. Frecklington has not always been in the treatment room plus Rhead & Eardley took over when neither were available.

Really????? Not sure the style of play has anything to do with the basic defensive mistakes he’s been making. Sunderland away, Gillingham away, Accrington away all saw errors which led directly to goals for the opposition which had nothing to do with our change of style.
Probably right but that wasn't really the point I was making

All the signs we will bring in another experienced ball playing CH who is a free agent in the near future.

All the signs we will bring in another experienced ball playing CH who is a free agent in the near future.

jake Wright perhaps the ex Sheffield United and MA’s captain at Oxford.

free agent and fits the bill

That was who I was told was signing before the chairman came on here saying that it wasn’t right! Guess the time could well be right now as he left Sheff Utd by mutual consent at the end of January (We just played them in a friendly too!?)

If Shackell does indeed leave/has left, will he be the first City player to have scored in his first (Port Vale, Aug 14, 2018) and last (Accrington, Feb 15, 2020) away matches for the club? Or are there are others?

That was who I was told was signing before the chairman came on here saying that it wasn’t right! Guess the time could well be right now as he left Sheff Utd by mutual consent at the end of January (We just played them in a friendly too!?)

Clive is usually right, I think he has inside Knowledge. The last time I saw this CH play I remember he enjoyed an early bath

maybe wasn’t correct at the time due to it being Scully that was signing but things change and with shackells poor form perhaps he is now on Appleton’s radar.

who knows what’s happening with shacks

it would certainly make sense to get shackell out if there is no intention to keep him next season, if a free agent that appleton wants for next season is available to practice the suicide pioftb tactic over the next ten games.

it would certainly make sense to get shackell out if there is no intention to keep him next season, if a free agent that appleton wants for next season is available to practice the suicide pioftb tactic over the next ten games.

One thing is certain that Shacks contract runs out at the end of the season and he is not, as a 37 year old, in MAs plans for next season.

He may have taken the decision into his own hands or he may, literally, just be biding his time to season end and leaving then.

Whatever way, he is not here next season.

I thought Jason Barnett did that too. Away at Exeter (28/10/95) in first, and away at Hull (20/4/02) in last.

Spot on! Great response. Was it really 25 years since Barnett signed for us? Jesus. I can't believe his career petered out when he left us. He was only 26 when he departed. Surely he could have found a better club to go to the Lincoln United at the time?

If Shackell does indeed leave/has left, will he be the first City player to have scored in his first (Port Vale, Aug 14, 2018) and last (Accrington, Feb 15, 2020) away matches for the club? Or are there are others?

I think all 3 scorers v Accrington currently qualify for that!

An interesting suggestion, although he is 34 next month. His age suggests he is not an Appleton target player long term, so would we really bother signing a player for a few months only? Especially since we are supposedly working on method for next season and are blooding the younger players with that in mind.