Jason Shackell | Vital Football

Jason Shackell

libertine

Vital Squad Member
A few posts on Lincoln City Banter are suggesting that Shackell may have left the club. No idea if this is true, but it may fit in with Appleton deciding not to even have him on the bench this weekend. If it is true, I really don't see it as a huge loss baring in mind his performances this season though.

A few posts on Lincoln City Banter are suggesting that Shackell may have left the club. No idea if this is true, but it may fit in with Appleton deciding not to even have him on the bench this weekend. If it is true, I really don't see it as a huge loss baring in mind his performances this season though.

No loss whatsoever, a season too far for him, and a fair wad of the wage bill too I’d suspect.

A decent campaign last term, but won’t go down in the annals of greatness alongside the likes of Ellis, Peake, James, MacAuley etc ....

He was a major reason for promotion last season as he was class above the L2 forwards he was up against.

Even then he had some major aberrations of temperament. At Swindon he left us down to 9 men and at Carlisle he compounded an idiotic second booking in the first half with an altercation with the fourth official, as if we was trying to get an extended ban.

That said, he was probably the most influential player in a title winning side.

This season, unfortunately, he hasn't often looked the part and in some games (eg Sunderland away) he was woeful. Never looked like he wanted to be part of PlayItOurFromTheBack TM.

I did suggest similar to my mate earlier today. I'd imagine his career has him as pretty much financially set for life. You'd imagine he was right in the crosshairs of the Monday morning hairdryer. It's entirely possible that he could just say "feck this".
Maybe bollocks from banter, but it wouldn't surprise me were it correct.

Also heard rumours to the nature from another source other than vitals, could all be hearsay.

Very good in L2, I was surprised he stayed with us for this campaign to be fair, especially with the offering of America.

I think, like Pett, whether he has left the club or been told he won't feature again (and the agreement, if he has left, maybe payment in lieu of notice- in other words, we would pay him some of his remaining salary).

He's 36 and don't get the impression he will remain as part of a squad but not even getting on the bench.

I think we lost Shackell when DC left- it's football. As someone said- he was a strong part of a L2 title team but he won't ever be in the same breath as Peake, Thompson etc.

Was excellent last season and was an important part of our promotion winning team. I think like all players father time has caught up with him. He was never the quickest but has slowed considerable this season.
I think the stats will bear out that Boswick and Bolger have been our best defensive pairing this season. I await the stat experts on here to either confirm or deny that.
Bit of a strange guy for me as Club Captain he never seemed to have much rapport with the fans. Always one of the first to walk of the pitch and cannot remember him walking over much to the fans at the end of matches. I dont know how he interacted with fans when approached for autographs or selfies? Just also seemed aloof and remote.
Perhaps , sadly for these reasons might not be remembered as one of the heroes from last season.

Was excellent last season and was an important part of our promotion winning team. I think like all players father time has caught up with him. He was never the quickest but has slowed considerable this season.
I think the stats will bear out that Boswick and Bolger have been our best defensive pairing this season. I await the stat experts on here to either confirm or deny that.
Bit of a strange guy for me as Club Captain he never seemed to have much rapport with the fans. Always one of the first to walk of the pitch and cannot remember him walking over much to the fans at the end of matches. I dont know how he interacted with fans when approached for autographs or selfies? Just also seemed aloof and remote.
Perhaps , sadly for these reasons might not be remembered as one of the heroes from last season.

I agree he seemed a strange choice of captain. It really annoyed me when he made mistakes and then blamed the young players around him.

He was a major reason for promotion last season as he was class above the L2 forwards he was up against.

Even then he had some major aberrations of temperament. At Swindon he left us down to 9 men and at Carlisle he compounded an idiotic second booking in the first half with an altercation with the fourth official, as if we was trying to get an extended ban.

That said, he was probably the most influential player in a title winning side.

This season, unfortunately, he hasn't often looked the part and in some games (eg Sunderland away) he was woeful. Never looked like he wanted to be part of PlayItOurFromTheBack TM.

Definitely a class above L2 last season, although given his pedigree and the wage I'd imagine he was on, perhaps that should have been regarded as a given?

Sadly well off the pace this season, and while I didn't agree at the time, those who said at the start of the season that we were better off with Bolger and Bostwick were right.

I'm a long way from Bolger's biggest fan, but his performance seemed to go up a good few notches alongside Bostwick yesterday. As for Bostwick himself, of all the older players whose contract is coming up, he is looking like the one we absolutely HAVE TO sign up for next season. Would be really gutted if he was let go.

Not privy to Shackells wages - however if he has moved to an MLS club which has been muted. I would imagine that has saved a hefty one off the wage bill.

We are almost going to be starting with a clean slate in the summer which is what 🍎 wants. He did say in the forum he expected a lot of permanent additions.

Well I for one, will remember him in a positive way.

He played an important in last seasons promotion and I was delighted when he decided to sign for another season instead of going to the USA.

Instead of knocking him for his recent mistakes (and he wasn't the only one to make unforced errors) we should thank him for his time here and wish him good luck in his future career.

Shackell, Eardley, Bostwick, Frecklington and to a slightly lesser degree Pett. These are the remaining players who command my respect for the way they have represented the club. If any leave the club under a cloud I would find that highly regrettable.
The others are still unproven for me. None have let the club down in their performances or their conduct but have a long way to go.

Shackell could still be one of the best defenders in this league.
I have no doubt as a highly experienced defender he was more comfortable playing on instinct rather than shackled by a rigid sideways and backwards approach.

May even go to Huddersfield , who are slipping away now, wouldn't put anything past Cowleys, shore up their defence line with HT who knows???

Shackell, Eardley, Bostwick, Frecklington and to a slightly lesser degree Pett. These are the remaining players who command my respect for the way they have represented the club. If any leave the club under a cloud I would find that highly regrettable.
The others are still unproven for me. None have let the club down in their performances or their conduct but have a long way to go.

Shackell could still be one of the best defenders in this league.
I have no doubt as a highly experienced defender he was more comfortable playing on instinct rather than shackled by a rigid sideways and backwards approach.

Shackell and "shackled"- I see what you did there.

I agree he is more comfortable (at his age) relying on his positioning nous than speed or a rigid sideways and backwards approach- and if he ever plays for a team which has that rigid sideways approach then he will not be happy. Meantime, he looks like age has caught up with him - ironically yesterday, against big immobile forwards, he may have been better suited.