Japhet Tanganga - Player Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

Japhet Tanganga - Player Thread

Hi all my first post on here so go easy on me...

We all know that we have been struggling leaking goals but for me defence is not the problem I still think we have a good defence I am sure some will disagree.

For me the problem is our midfield or lack of midfield. I don’t rate Winks or Dier they are both headless chickens. When they play together our midfield gets outplayed and overrun and they put so much pressure on the defence it’s criminal. Even when they don’t play together whenever one of them is in the team we struggle

I think Tanganga would/could possibly make a great defensive midfielder he has the attributes to do so. He has done well at both fullback positions but it’s not him. Can you imagine Tanganga and Ndombele with Lo Celso pulling the strings in front of them.

Would like to know other people’s thoughts.

Hi all my first post on here so go easy on me...

We all know that we have been struggling leaking goals but for me defence is not the problem I still think we have a good defence I am sure some will disagree.

For me the problem is our midfield or lack of midfield. I don’t rate Winks or Dier they are both headless chickens. When they play together our midfield gets outplayed and overrun and they put so much pressure on the defence it’s criminal. Even when they don’t play together whenever one of them is in the team we struggle

I think Tanganga would/could possibly make a great defensive midfielder he has the attributes to do so. He has done well at both fullback positions but it’s not him. Can you imagine Tanganga and Ndombele with Lo Celso pulling the strings in front of them.

Would like to know other people’s thoughts.
Hey man. We had a similar discussion about putting Foyth in there before Christmas. I don't know if Tang is the answer in that role and I can't see Jose trying it, but one thing is for sure; sorting out the midfield should be top priority in the summer.

We have to be careful about ruining players development by sacrificing them to the defensive midfield position. I was one of those who thought Dier could be the next Bobby Moore. Put him in DM, let him raise his awareness for a few years. become cultured, become more mobile. Then put him back into CB when Vert and Toby age and we have the next decade sorted. But it hasn’t done that. He has declined as a player. Whenever he has gone back to CB his awareness of what’s going on around him is non existent.

I’m not saying this will be the case for everyone but I feel more comfortable with Tanganga covering FB than DM position. At least then he is still a defender and learning to appreciate who that links with CB. I see where you are coming from with Dier and Winks. I too cringe if they are both in the team as I expect poor ball retention and regardless of possession figures I find it stale possession. I said it a few years ago with other players and it is creeping back in. They should pass to another player the way they would hope to receive it. I’m getting sick of seeing balls bouncing at knee height to be controlled before anything can be done.

I think we have the nucleus of a good midfield and I hope winks is in it but he needs to improve. I am not sure Dier has a future at the top table. Maybe he could reinvent himself as a CB (long term loan) or even a RB as he does have natural speed.

We have to be careful about ruining players development by sacrificing them to the defensive midfield position. I was one of those who thought Dier could be the next Bobby Moore. Put him in DM, let him raise his awareness for a few years. become cultured, become more mobile. Then put him back into CB when Vert and Toby age and we have the next decade sorted. But it hasn’t done that. He has declined as a player. Whenever he has gone back to CB his awareness of what’s going on around him is non existent.

I’m not saying this will be the case for everyone but I feel more comfortable with Tanganga covering FB than DM position. At least then he is still a defender and learning to appreciate who that links with CB. I see where you are coming from with Dier and Winks. I too cringe if they are both in the team as I expect poor ball retention and regardless of possession figures I find it stale possession. I said it a few years ago with other players and it is creeping back in. They should pass to another player the way they would hope to receive it. I’m getting sick of seeing balls bouncing at knee height to be controlled before anything can be done.

I think we have the nucleus of a good midfield and I hope winks is in it but he needs to improve. I am not sure Dier has a future at the top table. Maybe he could reinvent himself as a CB (long term loan) or even a RB as he does have natural speed.

Son of Ledley made his name and raised eyebrows playing as a b2b midfielder and DM'er with us, the CB role was later. I promise you he is the complete player, we just have to trust him now and he won't let us down.

Play him FFS....he is a class above Aurier already based on his limited appearances and mixed position he has been tasked to fill, He is obviously totally flexible in where he can play and is keen and eager.....we need him at right back sat...but that does not mean he has to remain a right back does it!

We've surely don't everything right to get him to sign a new contract. He's played a fair bit and it's all there for him to become a regular.

It will be interesting to compare his career with Luis Binks in the long run.