January Window | Vital Football

January Window

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
Last edited by a moderator:
Think we're in a rare position of needing to make moves for the 'right' players. We can afford to be picky, another centre mid or full back would be handy. Similarly we might look at younger players for the future to replace the lost talent from last year.

If we lose a player, even then, we're not in a particularly weak position in most areas. Other than right back/midfield we could absorb the loss of one or two players. I think it would only be the loss of players like Keane and Wyke that would be a major problem - neither of which I think is particularly likely.

Perhaps worth looking at the lad Stockton at Morecambe. League’s joint top scorer and banged in a last minute winner from inside his own half today.

A strange one this Feller….I have been noticing his goal scoring 12 in 17 this season probably playing at the highest level he’s been at (certainly in England)….saw his spectacular winner yesterday, apparently the second such ‘half way liner‘ he’s got this season.
However he’s 27 and if you look over his record (prior to last season) it’s not even mediocre ….it’s very poor.
Is he just having an unsustainable purple patch….or has he finally matured or got his attitude right after a few years of wandering about ?

I don’t know but you can’t argue with his current form and the sheer quality of his finishing, also looks like a big but mobile striker, so I’d be surprised if someone doesn’t go shopping for him in January.
Unlikely to be us but as he’s a Scouser P Cook might have a look ?😀

(I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bolton sniffing after him either)

It's obvious we have a few weak areas that we need to strengthen if we can. I would also see this as an opportunity to potentially try and weaken our promotion rivals if possible. So some of the options could be:

RB - Peter Kioso at MK who is on loan from Luton. Contract up in summer not sure if they will renew it so may want to sell rather than let go on a free.

DM - Panutche Camara from Plymouth, they won't want to sell but his contract up in summer so if he indicates he won't renew they may be willing to sell rather than lose for nothing.

AM - Ryan Broom at Plymouth on loan from Peterborough. Contract up in summer so may want to sell rather than him go for nothing.

RW - Marcus Harness from Pompey in his final 6 months and he probably wont want to renew his deal since all Pompey players getting pay cuts. Could be able to do a deal if they risk losing for nothing in 6 months.

Striker / target man - Stockton at Morcombe obviously having a great season. His previous record and age need to be factored in but considering Morcombe sold Lavelle for a very low 200k I'm not sure what type of fee they'd look for. Might be very reasonable.

Kyle Joseph former Latic on loan at Cheltenham from Swansea. I thought he looked good against us and seems to be doing quite well. Maybe get him on loan for second half of the season or since they had a management change at Swansea may be available.

Chuck Aneke or Lukas Jukewitz at Birmingham. Both not having good seasons in champ but would prob thrive in L1.

Ambitious but real outside bets as loans - Dowell from Norwich or Knockheart from Fulham. Both not playing much but not sure it would be do able. But I'd have thought the same about McClean and Wyke so you never know.

Good shouts but probably not available: Bishop from Luton and O'Reilly from MK Dons - both under long term deals so imagine asking price would be too high.

Do you really think we have that much cash. I don’t think we have. Think it will be a couple of loans. And that’s it. Still think we are getting a bit carried away. Do we think this team is as good as past teams. We have had a this level.

No I don't expect us to go for all 12 or so of the players I listed - we wouldn't need anywhere near that many. I am not expecting us to necessarily go for any of them. They are just some of the players who stood out who are potentially interesting targets due to their circumstances.

My first call would be to MK Dons regarding that CM who ran the show against us at the DW. Top player him.

David Kasumu - he was very good but MK turned down a significant bid from Huddersfield in the Championship for him last window so I think if he was available they'd probably be back in and able to offer him a step up we couldn't this season.

Think him and O'Reilly will both be attracting bids from Championship sides in January.

I think we're fine up front, don't really need cover & can rotate if needed, ie Lang or Keane as main striker if Wyke is injured etc. Definitely need a couple more midfielders & a RB as cover.

If we can get some decent midfielders who are good on the ball, and greedily, that type of attacking midfielder, then our weaknesses will be patched. Like others have said, our attacking players are as good as you are gonna get in this league.

I think we're fine up front, don't really need cover & can rotate if needed, ie Lang or Keane as main striker if Wyke is injured etc. Definitely need a couple more midfielders & a RB as cover.

Our style of play is heavily reliant on Wyke bullying centre backs though and no one else in the squad can do that. If Wyke went out injured for weeks we'd either have to completely change our style or we'd struggle with any one else trying to play target man.

Losing any first teamer to injury hurts you but Wyke is a player we don't have anything resembling a like for like replacement. I think someone who can play that role is probably more important than any other position.

Wigan Athletic boss outlines January transfer plans
Wigan Athletic are ready, willing and able to strike in the January transfer window.

That’s the message from boss Leam Richardson, who admits work is already well under way to bring in the reinforcements he needs for the second half of the campaign.

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/wigan-athletic-boss-outlines-january-transfer-plans-3462396

Just a reminder fine folks, please don't cut and paste the whole article, just a bit and then put the url to the source. If not, it is a copyright breach. Only fair they get the page impressions from their articles.

Edited the above to illustrate.

Thanks!

:thumbup:

Just a reminder fine folks, please don't cut and paste the whole article, just a bit and then put the url to the source. If not, it is a copyright breach. Only fair they get the page impressions from their articles.

Edited the above to illustrate.

Thanks!

:thumbup:

Fair enough
but I think you will find wigantoday.net do exactly the same as shown in this example with just a reference to "the Oxford website"
and then accumulates a charge to you.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...ens-up-on-wigan-athletic-postponement-3465842

Fair enough
but I think you will find wigantoday.net do exactly the same as shown in this example with just a reference to "the Oxford website"
and then accumulates a charge to you.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...ens-up-on-wigan-athletic-postponement-3465842

Yup, just read it, and they are totally wrong doing it like that and could be up for a copyright charge themselves. We get things lifted off the forums / our front page articles as well, and barely get a mention by most. But we are better to follow best practice so I don't get the emails from their legal rottweilers asking for £££

The January window is notoriously difficult to find quality players at an appropriate price. What you're looking at are players that have fallen out of favour, along with youth players and older players who are out of contract and able to negotiate with new clubs (e.g. players who aren't necessarily wanted).

I think we're correct to be looking at adding one or two in January but I don't expect this will be to improve our first XI, but maybe some youngsters from local PL teams who are low risk/high reward e.g. Robinson, Dowell etc, and maybe some full-back cover. We have players returning from injury who will improve our squad and we have a pretty good atmosphere in the squad (from what I can see) so I don't think we'll be signing a first choice RB or a first choice CM. We need to think a little longer term because if we chase promotion but fall just short we'll end up overextended and with Championship quality players who are now getting glances from bigger teams which risks disrupting what we're building.

I'd like a young RB to come in, and maybe a speedster forward in the Jamal Lowe mould who can offer something a bit different to our attack.

• Harry MaiL as reported in the Sun on Sunday (28.11.21, pg. 59).

Wigan Athletic are eyeing a move for Dundee United midfielder Jeando Fuchs.

Wigan Athletic have sent scouts to watch the Cameroon international in action recently,
Fuchs, 24, has been a key player in the Scottish Premiership for Dundee United for the past season-and-a-half.
The Latics are going for promotion to the Championship this term and see him as someone to bolster their ranks for the second-half of the campaign.
Leam Richardson’s side have been left a little short in midfield over recent times due to injuries to Tom Naylor and Jordan Cousins.

Fuchs made the move to Dundee United in October last year and has since become a regular in the middle of the park for Tam Courts’ side.

He has made 44 appearances in all competitions altogether since his move there and The Sun on Sunday say his side will want over £1 million for his signature.
Career to date

The tough-tackling midfielder started his senior career in France at Sochaux and played 120 times for their first-team in Ligue 2.

He was then snapped up by Spanish side Alaves last year but struggled for game time with the La Liga outfit and was loaned out to Maccabi Haifi before his move to Dundee United.

Wigan are keen now and it will be interesting to see if they make a move for him this winter.

We've got a class left back who's been in the Massey room for 3 months and 2 back ups.
Anyone know what the latest with Joe Bennet is ?
Only need a striker if Wyke is out long term
Centre mid is where we are short IMO