January Window | Page 8 | Vital Football

January Window

Players with indifferent career records sometimes click with one club. Often when they move on they never reach such heights again. Think Scott Taylor and DJ. Any one of these seemingly unexciting targets could find themselves in Tangerine.

Said exactly this last night Bear and named those same 2 players...

Mafoumbi gone on loan on Morecambe to the end of season. We must be bringing someone else in, although the g/ k position was not the highest priority as I thought Howard and M were sufficient this season

Blackpool Football Club has reached an agreement with Sheffield United to extend Ben Heneghan’s loan deal until the end of the season.
The defender, whose initial loan expired yesterday, has once again been at the heart of the Seasiders’ back line this season, having returned to Bloomfield Road following a similar arrangement in 2018/19.
The 26-year-old has played 23 games in all competitions so far this term, taking his overall Blackpool appearance tally to 72 matches.

Chief Executive Ben Mansford said:
“One of our key aims in this window was to keep Ben Heneghan at the Club for a longer period. Therefore, we are all delighted to announce that Ben will stay with us on loan for the rest of the campaign. Ben’s extension needs no further comment. He’s an important part of what we have achieved in recent times and he’s staying to help us push on.”
Ben Heneghan added:
“I’m happy to get it over the line and help the Club with its ambitions for the rest of the season. The Club and the supporters have been really good to me in the 18 months that I’ve been here, and I want to continue to repay the faith the manager and the Club have shown in me since I joined.
“We’ve made good additions in the transfer window and hopefully we can continue to grow as a team and have a good second half of the season.”

Mafoumbi gone on loan on Morecambe to the end of season. We must be bringing someone else in, although the g/ k position was not the highest priority as I thought Howard and M were sufficient this season
Must admit Pete I thought Mafoumbi was a decent keeper. Like you , hope tehy bring someone in. Howard isn't up to it imo

(Bradford) CITY are being linked with a loan move for Portsmouth goalkeeper Luke McGee - but look set to miss out to Simon Grayson's Blackpool.

Richard O’Donnell was struggling with what appeared to be a hamstring injury towards the end of the Crawley game with Gary Bowyer admitting afterwards that it “didn’t look good.”

With O’Donnell’s ever-present run in the league under threat, the Bantams boss is looking at alternatives ahead of a busy run of games.
Back-up keeper Sam Hornby has just extended his loan at non-league Fylde, where he has been playing regularly under new boss Jim Bentley.

There is thought to be a recall clause in that deal to bring him back but Bowyer may decide to look in the market for a more experienced replacement.
McGee would fit that bill and is desperate to get playing again after being phased out at Fratton Park.
He is understood to have been very frustrated when a potential loan move to City’s promotion rivals Cheltenham fell through last week after they failed to agree on the amount of his wage they should pay.

But it appears that a move to Blackpool now looks on the cards for McGee.
The 24-year-old played 50 games in his first term at Pompey following a move from Tottenham in 2017.
But he lost his starting spot to Craig McGillivray last season when his only appearances were restricted to the EFL Trophy and League Cup. He has not made a senior outing since December 2018.
McGee, whose contract is up in the summer, has fallen even further down the pecking order after the emergence of youngster Alex Bass as current number one.
He did not feature for Portsmouth's reserves at Plymouth on Tuesday, sparking suggestions that he could be on the move.
Saturday’s Valley Parade visit from Scunthorpe kicks off another hectic spell for City, who also face Colchester, Mansfield and Cheltenham in the following 10 days.

Don't know anything about the keeper but he's a big lad at 6' 4". Hope he is out of contract and decent

Looks like McGee has gone to Bradford on loan. Alan Nixon says we are looking at keeper Chris Maxwell from Preston

Yussuf gone to Boreham Wood. "Thanks for all the wonderful memories" Adi Yussuf is to link up with Vanarama National League side Boreham Wood on loan for the remainder of the season. The striker recently returned from a loan spell with his former side Solihull Moors, where he made 11 appearances.

Feel a bit sorry for the likes of Yussuf. I don't know whether he could have played at D1 level as he was never given any opportunity

Looks like we'll continue to be a club that loans players and doesn't buy players.

So, as some things change, some stay the same...

Duffy rumors not going away.

Someone tw@tted:
Wilder has said he will not allow Duffy's loan to be cut short. Unless Stoke can help find new takers. I saw Blackpool linked but can't see him dropping to League One. Any Championship interest in him, Al?
Nixon's reply:
That would be accurate. Blackpool were trying. Obviously not offered enough. Yet.

Trenchcoat has posted on AVFTT that we are in for Gary Madine. Decent, but not really a fox in the box

A bad tempered lump who has caused problems whether he has been. Even Carlisle were glad to be rid

Stoke City have agreed a deal to sign Blackpool midfielder Jordan Thompson and an announcement is imminent, Football Insider understands.

The 23-year-old Blackpool midfielder was one of Stoke’s top targets during this month’s transfer window and they have beaten off competition from Championship rivals to land the Northern Ireland international.

A source at Stoke told Football Insider that Potters manager Michael O’Neill is keen to be reunited with Thompson after previously handing him his international debut.

Jordan-Thompson-Emile-Smith-Rowe.jpg

Blackpool were reluctant to cash-in on the midfielder but agreed to do so as the player was in the final six months of his contract.

Thompson joined Blackpool in 2018 on a free transfer after leaving Scottish giants Rangers and he has impressed during his time at Bloomfield Road.

The Northern Ireland international has played 20 times across all competitions this season, racking up one goal as well as registering two assists.

Thompson’s performances have helped get Blackpool to 13th in the League One table, with Simon Grayson’s side having earned 34 points from the 24 league matches they have played.

Michael-ONeill.jpg

The former Manchester United youngster will now become Stoke’s first signing of this month’s transfer window and O’Neill will hope that Thompson can help fire his side to safety in the Championship.

The Potters currently sit 21st in the Championship after only racking up 25 points from their first 27 league games of the season.