January Transfers? | Vital Football

January Transfers?

Seems to be a strong rumour that Spike will go back to Boro for Loan Signings to bolster squad in the January window. Obviously, having been the development squad manager Spike will know the players well, so we might get some decent loanees, for a change!

Presumably, this means that Goodwin, etc will return to their parent clubs?

Yes, few people would be better placed to assess local possibilities.

Sorry, I meant to post a link to the Echo article I've quoted above, but for some reason it didn't work. Anyway, article is still there if you want to google it on the Echo site.

I thought that Lee Turnbull had been brought in to scout and recommend players proven at our level, due to his fantastic knowledge of the lower leagues. Can only think of Williams, Jackson and Burgess of previous Boro loans delivering the goods. Before them can only recall Gilchrist and Barron from way back.

Gary Liddle, Charlie Wyke were also Boro loanees at Pools.
Though, in truth, I probably only remember the decent loanees. Saying that I can't remember any decent loanees from Sunderland or Newcastle. Feel sure somebody will correct / remind me?

So, quite a lot of decent loanees from Boro. Though I don't myself see what the quality of previous loanees has to do with the players who are available today.

So....., why then go for unproven kids from Middlesbrough. Names mentioned haven't pulled up trees anywhere they have been. Although there have been some successes, as named, these are across a period of 30 years.

So....., why then go for unproven kids from Middlesbrough. Names mentioned haven't pulled up trees anywhere they have been. Although there have been some successes, as named, these are across a period of 30 years.

But who is going for unproven kids from Middlesbrough? I trust Graeme Lee to recognise potential when he sees it. If he doesn't see a man's potential, then presumably he won't sign him.

Meanwhile, Lee Turnbull is operating in different areas. But, yes, OK, let's tell Graeme Lee not to sign anyone from Middlesbrough, even if they look as tho they can do a job for us.

As we get closer to the opening of the Transfer Window, which positions do we all feel need new blood?
For me a Centre Forward is essential to complement the efforts of Cullen and Mols. I'd also like to see a combatative midfielder added to the squad.

I also believe that there are a number of players in the squad who need to be offloaded/returned to Parent clubs.

Agreed. We are desperately in need of a CF who can hold the ball and contribute with goals... someone in the style of Richie Bennett. A midfield enforcer would be great as you say, OP. Players we need to offload? Smith doesnt seem to play much and when he does, doesnt pull up any trees. Fondop is a massive disappointment and needs to go. Goodwin can go if we manage to sign a CF

What would appear to be a "hardening " of Chris Wilders attitude towards loaning players to Pools may yet scupper any plans Spike has in that direction.

What would appear to be a "hardening " of Chris Wilders attitude towards loaning players to Pools may yet scupper any plans Spike has in that direction.
I think he's just saying that he'll be putting Boro and his own players first when considering loans. Which is fair enough.

Anyone else think Pools will make a lot of noise about making signings during the Transfer Window, but that at the end of the day there'll not be any, significant, additions to the squad?

Anyone else think Pools will make a lot of noise about making signings during the Transfer Window, but that at the end of the day there'll not be any, significant, additions to the squad?
Yep. The desperate need for a centre forward has been obvious since the season's start and all the right noises were made about funds being available in the January window but the silence is deafening. One would have thought a transfer deal or two would have been sorted and ready to go as soon as the transfer window opened (given the clear and obvious need) but not a bit of it. Other clubs have been signing players but for Pools it seems to be an impossible task. I think you are right, OP. We'll wait till the 31st January and then sign a 17yr old on loan from Boro.