January Transfers (hopefully not lack of) | Vital Football

January Transfers (hopefully not lack of)

RedRoss

Vital Squad Member
Anyone know the latest on Spence & Lowe?

what are our chances of keeping them and why? I get a feeling they will stay either a buy or a continuation of their current loans.

I’ve been saying this for quite some seasons and been disappointed for loads as well but we need at least 2 good quality strikers.

your thoughts?

I would say the chances of signing Spence permanently have reduced slightly with Warnock getting fired.

I think we must have a great chance of signing Lowe permanently; he would still be 3rd or 4th choice left back at the Blades, and he has indicated that he would like to sign.

I am not sure we will try and make him a permanent signing in January though; I cant see much changing with his position over the next six months.

I would like us to go back in for Fleming; he is back playing for Sittard, who sit second bottom of the league and are in desperate need of hard cash - a decent forward minded player who can score goals would be very welcome.

A decent forward should be the number one target, but I am not going to hold my breath on that one.

All Clubs want a decent forward and January is a desperate window to be shopping in; why clubs should want higher fees and players want higher wages than in the summer window is one of life's great mysteries, but it seems to be the case.

Heckingbottom has been appointed with a remit of reducing the squad size and wage bill. They are now planning for at least another year in Championship.

I think we could get Lowe for around £1m, but all depends upon his wage demands, as he has 2.5 year on his contract to run.

Spence signed a contract extension before he joined us on loan, I'd hope we manage to keep him but would think it's 50-50 at best now Wilder appointed.

Yet again for Forest, it will be about who we manage to ship out (that we don't want), whilst trying to hold onto players we want to keep.

Heckingbottom has been appointed with a remit of reducing the squad size and wage bill. They are now planning for at least another year in Championship.

I think we could get Lowe for around £1m, but all depends upon his wage demands, as he has 2.5 year on his contract to run.

Spence signed a contract extension before he joined us on loan, I'd hope we manage to keep him but would think it's 50-50 at best now Wilder appointed.

Yet again for Forest, it will be about who we manage to ship out (that we don't want), whilst trying to hold onto players we want to keep.

If we can pick Lowe up for as little as 1m, there should be enough left in the kitty to compensate him for any drop in pay; although I am not sure he is on that great a deal at Sheffield.

I shall be placing a few more on this vile vile forum FIRMLY on ignore as the total unrealistic demands of folk whinging about the CEO & ambition

That’s even before we get the usual clique with their topz off gay gaaaiiii shit turning this into a social network rather than a safe space to talk Forest without the BS.

I hate transfer windows

Hopefully we can get a few quid for Johnz so he can take his diving to the PL, he’s the fastest player in the championship you know, over his preferred distance 6ft directly downwards

If we can pick Lowe up for as little as 1m, there should be enough left in the kitty to compensate him for any drop in pay; although I am not sure he is on that great a deal at Sheffield.

It's all relative though, his salary is still likely to be towards the top end of our supposed pay cap, he's 25 next year and was signed when Blades were an EPL club.

I thought Djed had 18 months left on his contract?

So at the end of this season he's in his final year. At his age, it would be daft to buy him until the summer or even beyond that

It's all relative though, his salary is still likely to be towards the top end of our supposed pay cap, he's 25 next year and was signed when Blades were an EPL club.

The Blades do not pay big money; I heard Lowe is on 25k per week.

If we really want him but will not break the rumoured wage ceiling, they could compensate him with a bigger signing on bonus.

I do not think anyone would complain if we signed him for 2m; what would be wrong with 1m for the Club and 1m for the player?

I thought Djed had 18 months left on his contract?

So at the end of this season he's in his final year. At his age, it would be daft to buy him until the summer or even beyond that

He was entering his final year but there is talk that he signed a new deal before he was let out on loan.

Looking at Transfermarkt he is out of contract in June 23, which means he will have a year left when his loan is up.

He was entering his final year but there is talk that he signed a new deal before he was let out on loan.

Looking at Transfermarkt he is out of contract in June 23, which means he will have a year left when his loan is up.

I think his extension was 2020, so they do have a, player basically entering his final 12 months.

Definitely a deal to be add, and he's on 4500k pw

Spence, Lowe and Buchanan in on perms? Dragger and Back as your back up… I like that. Shouldn’t be too expensive in truth.

That then leaves a number 10 type player and a forward. Expensive positions, but probably the difference between mid table and play offs.
That would be ideal but I am not convinced that bringing them all in would fit within the budget they have set. Shame if that is the case because there is decent potential resale if necessary and they are all improving players.

With Ely and Soh injured we are short a centre back and we need a striker and a couple of forwards so either way we will get an idea of the clubs ambition in January.

I’d be amazed if we sign Spence on a permanent deal. He’s 21, his performances have been fantastic and his potential is huge. I’d say the only prospect of bringing him to Forest permanently is if we get promoted. I don’t see how we can afford the kind of transfer fee that Boro will want otherwise - or how we will be able to fight off interest from other clubs in a better position. With Lowe, the prospect of a permanent signing seems more realistic.

In general, I doubt there’s much room for manoeuvre without players going out of the door first. It seems like we may have reduced the wage bill in the summer, but over the past two seasons we’ve also signed a lot of players who have had no impact or disappeared without a trace. I’d be surprised if there’s more than one signing (an up-and-coming forward) and one existing loan being made permanent (Lowe), unless we sell Brennan or Worrall, or find a way to get fees for people out of favour like Carvalho, Cafu or Jenkinson (seems unlikely).

Last edited:

That was the reason his signing for us went right to the wire, as he signed a new deal with them first.