January Transfer Window | Page 3 | Vital Football

January Transfer Window

Gallagher is an excellent signing!

Don't see the big deal with Peterson going either, never looked good enough when he did play for us

Last day of the transfer window:
Borja Baston has signed for Dean Smith’s Premier League Aston Villa on a free transfer, his contract was up at the end of the season.
Barry MacKay has joined Joey Barton’s League One Fleetwood on loan until the end of the season.
Declan John has joined Phil Parkinson’s League One Sunderland on loan until the end of the season.
Cian Harries has signed for Ben Garner’s League One Bristol Rovers on a free transfer, his contract was up at the end of the season.
Ex-Swan, 31 year old Ki Sung-yueng has left Newcastle today after his contract was terminated by mutual consent. His contract was up anyway at the end of the season and he is now a free agent. He made a total of 23 appearances for Newcastle since leaving the Swans in July 2018.

Swans U-23’s Captain, midfielder Jack Evans, has gone on loan to Graham Coughlan’s League Two Mansfield until the end of the season. He recently signed a new contract.

This is the team that lost 5-1 to QPR in the FA Cup a few weeks ago:
Nordfelt, Roberts, Cooper, Bidwell, John, Carroll, Fulton, Dyer (Baston 58’), MacKay (Celina 57’), Peterson (Byers 57’), Kalulu
Of those that played in that match, six are now gone.
In my opinion today’s clear-out was partly as a consequence of that match, besides easing the wage bill and getting rid of dead wood.
There was a scathing reaction from Steve Cooper after that shambolic display:
“There's not many times I've questioned attitude and belief, but I have today. It's self-inflicted. We've got no-one to blame but ourselves.
Our basics of attacking and particularly defending were nowhere near the average, never mind beyond that.
Unfortunately, if you're not willing to get up to people to tackle and to intercept, you run the risk of conceding chances and goals, that's what happened today.
I thought every goal, we could have done better defensively.
There's no rocket science to defending, if you're not willing to play with a bit of heart and soul, you can get run over like we did today.
We'll get some criticism, myself included and quite rightly. But I'm fuming truth be told.
I can accept getting beat, but I can't accept not trying and not giving your all."

Last edited:
There were rumours that we wanted a midfielder in but obviously we didn't get it done. Glad to see those players leave though

Maybe we’ll sign a free agent, i.e. Ki Sung-yueng (couldn’t afford his wages though, and besides he’s another who doesn’t like to tackle).
Free agents can be signed by a club at any time during the season, if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window.”

Last edited:
So then, a real clear out of players in the January transfer window, with a total of nine players off the wage bill :
Surridge - loan recall
Carroll - contract terminated
MacKay - loan
Evans - loan
John - loan
Baston - free
Peterson - free
Harries - free

Steve Cooper on the January Transfer Window:
"We did what we needed to do early on. We hit the ground running as soon as the window opened.
I know we've brought three players in, but we were never going to be a club that was going to spend loads of money. If anything we're looking to save money, and without saying too much that I shouldn't, I think that is the case now. We have been creative, we've got players in, but I think the club might be in a better financial position with the business that we've done. That's where we're at.
I know other clubs have invested and some clubs have lost players for big money as well, but we were never going to be that club that was spending a lot of money, even if players were going for big money.
I've always said, I'll focus on the players that rock up every day and we'll get the best out of them for the games ahead.
You always want more. But whatever squad I'm working with every day, I'm a football coach and with a coaching team, we're very proud of how hard we're working in trying to put the best training and coaching programme on day in, day out to get ready for games and to give the team and the club the best opportunity of doing as well as we can in any given game."