January Transfer Window | Vital Football

January Transfer Window

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Our right back Connor Roberts is being linked again with Southampton. Their Portuguese right back Cedric Soares wants to move and is running down his contract, which expires at the end of the season. Roberts was linked with a Southampton move last summer which never materialised.

Liverpool’s 19 year old forward Rhian Brewster is being linked with the Swans as a loan option this transfer window. Having previously played under Cooper as part of England U-17’s World Cup winning squad in 2017, he may prefer to work with him again in preference to a clutch of other interested clubs.Liverpool’s 19 year old forward Rhian Brewster is being linked with the Swans as a loan option this transfer window. Having previously played under Cooper as part of England U-17’s World Cup winning squad in 2017, he may prefer to work with him again in preference to a clutch of other interested clubs.

Key defender Van der Hoorn is one of many Swans players out of contract at the end of this season. No word of him signing a new contract so would it make sense to consider any forthcoming offer for him in this winter transfer window rather than let him leave for nothing in the summer.

Last edited:
Swans players (12) out of contract at the end of the season:
Kristoffer Nordfeldt
Erwin Mulder
Mike van der Hoorn
Kyle Naughton
Tom Carroll
Yan Dhanda
Nathan Dyer
Wayne Routledge
Borja Baston
Jefferson Montero
Cian Harries
Courtney Baker-Richardson

Any of the above 12 players who are all in the final six months of their contract next month (Jan 2020) can be signed by another club on a pre-contract agreement for free at that time.

Loan players (4) returning to their parent club end of this season:
Aldo Kalulu
Sam Surridge
Ben Wilmot
Freddie Woodman

All 4 loan players could possibly be re-called by their clubs next month.
In fact it’s already being considered by Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe regarding their player Sam Surridge, due to an injury crisis.

some work to do in the next windows! Can see a few top earners going next month to reduce wage bill and very little coming in to replace them.

Steve Cooper says Swansea chiefs know his views on out of contract players.
The situation is one for Swans sporting director Leon Britton and chairman Trevor Birch "to get their heads around".
"They know my thoughts and what I want to do, but we don't need to cross that bridge yet. We've got three games coming up in the next week so it's not at the forefront of my mind. The most important thing in the players' minds is that they're in the team and playing well. That has to be the priority. We're working together in collaboration with all of the senior staff to come up with a consensus on what will be right for the club with a football and a business side to it."

Bournemouth Manager Eddie Howe on Sam Surridge recall option in January:
“It’s something we will assess when we can make the decision. There is no point thinking about it now.

Sam’s done well when he has played. He has had limited game time, but he has made an impact when he has played. He has made an impact off the bench, so I have been pleased with him.”

Steve Cooper commenting on interest in Andre Ayew in the transfer window:
“It’s possible other clubs will come looking. We know that. He’s probably not the only player. This league is a league that has a lot of players who can play a level above. Andre is in that category. There is no news on any interest and I hope that continues. I speak to him a lot and I know he’s happy with what we’re doing.”

Hi stevieray.
Is this who you meant?

On 9 January 2018, striker Adam Armstrong joined League 1 side Blackburn on loan from Newcastle until the end of the season and Blackburn were duly promoted to the Championship as runners up.
Armstrong signed for Blackburn permanently on 6 August 2018 on a four-year contract for an undisclosed fee. He’s scored 5 goals in 44 Championship appearances.

Leeds linked with a move for Andre Ayew in January.
Marcelo Bielsa is said to have a strong relationship with Ayew from their time together at Marseille,

Steven Benda, our goalkeeper on loan at League 2 leaders Swindon, is apparently attracting the attention of Liverpool and Aston Villa. With 5 clean sheets in 12 appearances he has been in impressive form for the Robins.

Swans linked loanee, Liverpool’s Curtis Jones, was an unused sub in Doha, Qatar earlier this evening in the Club World Cup Semi-Final, where they won 2-1 against Mexican Champions Monterray. They now meet Brazilian side Flamenco in the final on Saturday. Unbelievably Liverpool had to field their U-23’s twenty four hours earlier against Aston Villa at Villa Park in the quarter-final of the Carabao Cup because the EFL refused to reschedule the tie.
The other Liverpool player, Rhian Brewster, linked with a loan move to the Swans was injured and didn’t travel to either.

Borja Baston has drawn interest from Espanyol and Deportivo according to Press reports, both clubs looking to move for him in the January transfer window.
With 6 goals in 17 games and Cooper only playing him sporadically, a move seems likely. The only stumbling block would be the transfer fee, so a loan move more likely.

Swansea rumoured to be interested in signing 23 year old Bristol City midfielder Kasey Palmer on loan. He was signed in the summer from Chelsea for £3.5m but has only started in eleven games and made several appearances as sub so far, scoring one goal and three assists. He has worked with Cooper previously in the England set up.

........and to put a dampener on all these transfer rumours, one newspaper is quoting this from Steve Cooper:
“I don’t think we will be bringing any players in. I have said that many times in the last few weeks. We are not that club at the moment that has the ability or the luxury to bring players in. But that’s fine. We work with the players we have got and we try to get the best out of them.”

Alan Nixon on Twitter
Swansea. Surridge loan spell will end. Bournemouth want him back. Creates a vacancy ..: and turns up heat on their bid to bring in Brewster from Liverpool.
4:13 PM · Dec 31, 2019