January Signings | Page 13 | Vital Football

January Signings

@Gids1980

#sufc manager Chris Wilder says there's nothing to update fans on re progress in the transfer window. (Which closes on Monday).

Second interview on trot, short and to the point about transfers, strong indicator the board have told him no more cash for you lad, jog on, could be a smoke screen mind.

Surely the board will at least sanction some cash to help us avoid being a total embarrassment.

If they refuse to allow us to build for next season they're only damaging us. There are numerous opportunities to be taken now that might not be there in the summer.

Surely the board will at least sanction some cash to help us avoid being a total embarrassment.

If they refuse to allow us to build for next season they're only damaging us. There are numerous opportunities to be taken now that might not be there in the summer.
I could not agree more. It would be foolish to leave it all while the next window.
Worryingly i think this signals just how tight the finances are at the club. Too many plates spinning at too many clubs with finances stretched to breaking point.
Now we know why the board talked Wilder into staying. No other manager would accept the job on this basis.

Just looking at the business Derby did in January 2008. They brought in 7, including Robbie Savage, Danny Mills and a punt on the Argentine striker Emanuel Villa, and let 7 go.

Now because of the Chinese virus this window has been slow across the whole of western Europe, only two players have transfered for over £20 million and across the big five leagues less than 130 million has been spent. Clubs are cutting their cloth with what they've got and making do.

That being said I didn't think it was too much of an ask for CW to bring in the two players on loan he wanted. If they don't materialise, and I'm half of the opinion we've left it so late what's the bloody point, that's a real indictment of the faith the board has in CW.

Just looking at the business Derby did in January 2008. They brought in 7, including Robbie Savage, Danny Mills and a punt on the Argentine striker Emanuel Villa, and let 7 go.

Now because of the Chinese virus this window has been slow across the whole of western Europe, only two players have transfered for over £20 million and across the big five leagues less than 130 million has been spent. Clubs are cutting their cloth with what they've got and making do.

That being said I didn't think it was too much of an ask for CW to bring in the two players on loan he wanted. If they don't materialise, and I'm half of the opinion we've left it so late what's the bloody point, that's a real indictment of the faith the board has in CW.

Could be that the quality of loans willing to come aren't going to make a difference so why bring them in and pay part of their wages ?
Without the impetus of 2 top class players, as CW wanted, ( again reluctant to join and work hard to give us some impetus) then our fate is sealed barring a miracle so the board have settled for the status quo.

Short sighted, penny pinching or pragmatic and cautious in the current world?

What would have been interesting is to see what the backing would have been like with,say, 10 points under our belt- and then, maybe, we could also have attracted the type of player CW wanted.

Could be that the quality of loans willing to come aren't going to make a difference so why bring them in and pay part of their wages ?
Without the impetus of 2 top class players, as CW wanted, ( again reluctant to join and work hard to give us some impetus) then our fate is sealed barring a miracle so the board have settled for the status quo.

Short sighted, penny pinching or pragmatic and cautious in the current world?

What would have been interesting is to see what the backing would have been like with,say, 10 points under our belt- and then, maybe, we could also have attracted the type of player CW wanted.
That’s where we’re at for mr TT, I thought this would be the problem even before the window opened thats why I’ve not contributed much to this thread. If we’d picked up a few more points from the recent ‘easier’ games, I think the board might have pushed the boat out and better players would have been more likely to come. As it stands though, what decent player would want to come to us knowing that there’s little chance in him enhancing his reputation (except for the money)? The last thing we need right now is players wheeled in on big bucks with no intention of staying here?

I’ll be very surprised if we get to loan a good player who’s fit and in decent nick. I certainly wouldn’t pay over the odds for one.

I would think it's the recruitment team, whoever that consists of, has damaged us not the board. Not just in the summer window but probably two of the previous windows. The board have sanctioned the finances the reality is it hasn't been used wisely. If there is to be no more money spent I don't blame the board one bit.

I ask again, is the Prince our man?

I also think one eye is on next season now, the prince said everything would be hunky dory as long as we stayed in this division finance wise so that’s about to sink without trace my guess is we’re already tailoring to suit that’s without what TT and gray mentioned above which must also be a big factor

I ask again, is the Prince our man?
Well we haven't had to bow to any player's demands to leave or offers that 'were just too good to turn down' yet and nobody's had 'their head turned' although that may well be because none of them are turning heads anyway.

And I don't recall there being a pandemic about when we did roll over for peanuts.

Last edited:
I would think it's the recruitment team, whoever that consists of, has damaged us not the board. Not just in the summer window but probably two of the previous windows. The board have sanctioned the finances the reality is it hasn't been used wisely. If there is to be no more money spent I don't blame the board one bit.

No doubt Wilder and his alehouse recruitment team are to blame for getting into this situation, but as I've said many times now, the Championship isn't the PL and it will be far easier for us to have a high success rate with signings when recruiting for that division. We have done well before and should do well again from our position of relative financial strength.

Money spent now is only money saved in the summer. Unless we're planning to spend nothing in the summer, there's no reason we shouldn't start buying and building now.

Must we really wait until we sell players? We know we'll be able to get decent money for Berge and one or two others.

And if we do go on to break the record, the board are massively responsible for it.

It was totally avoidable with just a bit of modest recruitment this month.

At this point, no signings = completely surrendering and accepting record breaking embarrassment.

It will be a big regret.

No doubt Wilder and his alehouse recruitment team are to blame for getting into this situation, but as I've said many times now, the Championship isn't the PL and it will be far easier for us to have a high success rate with signings when recruiting for that division. We have done well before and should do well again from our position of relative financial strength.

Money spent now is only money saved in the summer. Unless we're planning to spend nothing in the summer, there's no reason we shouldn't start buying and building now.

Must we really wait until we sell players? We know we'll be able to get decent money for Berge and one or two others.

Hasn't the club already taken a mortgage out in buying the ground etc, they have also taken another loan out against future Sky/Premiership payments so I'm not sure we are flushed with cash. The board might not trust Wilder to recruit anyone else. Think the first job is to revamp the recruitment team, not throw more money away on their recommendations.

And if we do go on to break the record, the board are massively responsible for it.

At this point, no signings = completely surrendering and accepting record breaking embarrassment.

It will be a big regret.

Wilder his coaching staff, recruitment team and the players take total responsibility, but it's all about opinions.

It will be a big regret.

Not only for the board Herbs, Wilder just pissed away any chance of a better job down the line with one of the big 6.

Wilder his coaching staff, recruitment team and the players take total responsibility, but it's all about opinions.

They do, but at this point we can still do something about the points record yet it looks like the board won't allow that.

It could be something very hard to forgive when looked back on in the future.

ohhhhhhhhhh well, it was inevitable ,it is sheffield united after all. disappointment ,disillusion, hope gone ,bad moods, hatred , frustration, disppondent ,clap trap, lies, let down, embarrassing , UP THE BLADES. WORST TEAM IN PREMIER HISTORY

Hasn't the club already taken a mortgage out in buying the ground etc, they have also taken another loan out against future Sky/Premiership payments so I'm not sure we are flushed with cash. The board might not trust Wilder to recruit anyone else. Think the first job is to revamp the recruitment team, not throw more money away on their recommendations.

They have to be careful in that case because too little trust in Wilder is what is most likely to lead to his departure.

The recruitment team definitely needs revamping, and I'd be angry and disappointed if Wilder wasn't open to change in that department. He's in no position to resist.