January 2021 Transfers | Page 10 | Vital Football

January 2021 Transfers

We played a right winger (Jamal Lewis) as a left back for a few seasons.

Sorenson played as a LB so there was cover.

I use to have the view of rigidity as to where players played but after Lewis going from his normal right wing role to play as a left back, I feel there is more flexibility.

BTW. anybody remember Total Football played by the Netherlands international team?

As for McCallum, I suspect he has been playing further forward than a LB for Coventry.

As for Mumba, midfield, right back or on the left?
I'm not sure he was ever a right back. I followed the youth team closely for a while and he was the left bsck then. He is left footed too. I think he was originally a left winger as he was a quick player but she he came to us a a youngster he was moved to a left back.

I was replying to your post about Lewis being a right winger.

I never said Lewis played at right back.

In a reply to DG i did mention the right back position in the line about Mumba.

I and others have seen Lewis play as a right winger for the various Academy teams and hence my surprise a few seasons ago when he appeared at left back for the first team in pre season frendlies. I did query his left back position on here.

Mind you players do get moved around within a team. Did Kamara say (in the Youtube piece on him - like Rowe's interview) he played in a different position and got moved up front

Interesting to see that McCallum has played as a LB, in left and right midfield (6 appearances - I suspect 5 starts and 1 sub in RM) for Coventry.

Last edited:
So do any of you think we are missing a trick not signing anyone (yet) in Jan? It seems lots if clubs around us are bringing in new players but once again we seem to be doing nowt.

I never said Lewis played at right back.

In a reply to DG i did mention the right back position in the line about Mumba.

I and others have seen Lewis play as a right winger for the various Academy teams and hence my surprise a few seasons ago when he appeared at left back for the first team in pre season frendlies. I did query his left back position on here.

Mind you players do get moved around within a team. Did Kamara say (in the Youtube piece on him - like Rowe's interview) he played in a different position and got moved up front

Interesting to see that McCallum has played as a LB, in left and right midfield (6 appearances - I suspect 5 starts and 1 sub in RM) for Coventry.
Yeah I think Rowe has played as a number 10 and more often as a left winger. Kamara is a forward but I think only converted this season as he is down on the official website as a midfielder

McCallum is very versatile

So Fredrik Andre Bjorkan could be the left back we are after. He is Norwegian and has played for the Norwegian u21 side. He is currently at Bodo/Glimt. He is 22.

Simon Power is apparently going to have his loan at lynn terminated by the club and he will move to league 2 Harrogate. The club will get no transfer fee but will add a sell on fee.

Shame as I though he could make it. To get no fee either is a shame.

Cambridge and Bromley also interested.

Last summer Borussia Dortmund, Lyon, Ajax and PSV Eindhoven all scoured him be a use of his super pace.

We tend not to let anyone know until there’s a done deal.

I dont want to go back to the days of the "enquiry" for Rob Hulse at Crewe.
I think he moved for £750,000. Anyway we probably suggested 10p and a cookbook!!

Are we going to get a surprise signing for a back up GK?

Last edited:
Im not sure if we do tbh, but 8m for him wld be double his worth in my opinion!

did you remember to take British player tax into the equation? Home grown players prices were already inflated and that's before the new rules making it more difficult to search abroad. with the new rules in place a British player of his standard for 8 million would be a good price.

So do any of you think we are missing a trick not signing anyone (yet) in Jan? It seems lots if clubs around us are bringing in new players but once again we seem to be doing nowt.

if we are struggling to find the correct target I would rather we hold off than waste money on someone just because we could. we already have a large squad and with quite a few players returning from injury recently and a few more seemingly close to coming back I'm not sure who I would swap our squad with in this league.

The Podcast with Phil Lythgoe (I am giving my age away when I say I remember him playing for City) is interesting with some good stories. He is the player liasion and helps players when they join the club and during their time here

Timing of transfers - a number of transfers will be late in the window just like other transfer windows. Clubs trying to get the best prices they can if selling and buying clubs trying to haggle.......nothing new other than less cash being around due to Covid 19 cutting revenues.

The Podcast with Phil Lythgoe (I am giving my age away when I say I remember him playing for City) is interesting with some good stories. He is the player liasion and helps players when they join the club and during their time here

Already listened to this.
My concern was the delight he had in the amount of money wasted on
players partners / children in hotels , meals etc for play off final.
This shows how Smiffs priorities are often wrong.