January 2019 transfers | Page 9 | Vital Football

January 2019 transfers

Correct Bears.
If and a big IF we do go up we will not spend enough to stay up and
do not have the squad capable of staying up even with retaining them all and adding players with potential.

I actually think DF's way of playing football is more suited to the Premier League than the Championship. I'm convinced we have a better suited squad than Cardiff and they've managed to stay out of the bottom 3 for most of the season so far. Most people were saying with certainty there is no way we would be doing anything other than fighting relegation this year, even I who was one of the few optimistic fans was saying top 10 would be a big achievement. So I think we do need to give the club some credit. If we go up I have every confidence we will do it right this time, and even if we did come back down we'd not be in the mess of last time and would be a very strong candidate to go back up again. We just need to get back into our rhythm in the league. Some massive games coming up.

A risky strategy IMO . It makes me wonder how much sheer determination and a burning desire the desire our Board have to see us back in the Prem . I hope they have but unless we see a quality signing or two to help take us up , then I think I am entitled to at least ask the question

I was referring to the scenario of if we did happen to go up with this squad - I think we would be OK in all eventualities. But I do agree. Given that we're now in January and still top 2 with a decent run in, I think we should strengthen. Not overboard but as you say, 1 or 2 quality signings could make all the difference. Worse case scenario we have them bedded in for another go next year !

I am worried that a prolonged injury to Pukki (God forbid!) would have a devastating effect on us . Rhodes tries hard but rarely looks like scoring .IF we go up then money will have to be be spent , but even that is no guarantee . Huddersfield spent millions on Mourne and he has managed a single Prem goal

Agreed, money doesn't always buy success. So many clubs have done and tried it and gotten into deep trouble. We barely spent much last time compared to others and look at the state it got us into. The trouble is for clubs like ours is once you've spent the money and tied yourself into long expensive contracts your screwed if you drop down to the Champ which seems to always inevitably happen to all clubs (look no further than Stoke, Swansea and WBA) Southampton will be the next so called "example club" to return to where they started - the money didn't get any of them anywhere in the grand scheme of things. I do believe we're heading in the right direction though. Investing in all the correct things for once.

All very true YB and Nathan.
Offloading 2 / 3 unwanted players and bringing in 2 good quality players to fit well into the squad is what we require.

Talk of Marshall going on loan to Birmingham . What shocks me about this is that they will pick up his wages costs of £10,000 a WEEK ! I didn’t know were forking out these kind of wages now . The guy has hardly played for us (not necessarily his fault) yet he costing us a fortune .( over half a million a year) I dread to think what out annual wage bill is

So he came back from Hamilton and then was loaned out straight away to Flyde? How was that sorted out so quickly? Also, the level is a massive drop from Scottish Premiership. Is it because he wasn't playing enough and at Flyde he was going to play?

Probably organised before the window opened and I'd rather our players play regularly in the non league than not get a look in north of the border.

Talk of Marshall going on loan to Birmingham . What shocks me about this is that they will pick up his wages costs of £10,000 a WEEK ! I didn’t know were forking out these kind of wages now . The guy has hardly played for us (not necessarily his fault) yet he costing us a fortune .( over half a million a year) I dread to think what out annual wage bill is

£10k a week doesn't surprise me for an experienced Championship player. You should more concerned about the £50k a week for Naismith and the amounts per week for Jarvis and Oliveira.

Seems more players going out than coming in.

Power has gone out on loan in Holland which is a good move for him.

Pinto is also another player who can cover the left wing but to be fair he isn't going to play and his deal is up in summer.

The squad will be rather thin but I guess Morris and Thompson will be back soon as will Leitner. Still, a left back would be nice and maybe one who can play left wing and has pace, please. Surely the club has its eyes open for any players who might improve us.

Birmingham have announced a 37 million loss. They are allowed just 1 loan in this window by the FA. They might be deducted up to 21 points if found guilty of breaking financial rules.

Clubs rarely get a massive points deduction.

I am surprised that Remi Matthews is on 6k a week!! Could see Yanic back at the club soon then! Surely the club will then look to either loan or try to sell.