January 2019 Transfer Window | Page 58 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window

• Thread starter Deleted member 7310
  • Start date
Poch has said our recent injuries have not changed our transfer policy. If we can sign a player that improves the squad he will consider it as he has in the past.

Same question as the summer.

How can you not improve of Janssen (see above) Dembele (gone) Wanyama almost useless, Llorente?

How can you not improve of Janssen (see above) Dembele (gone) Wanyama almost useless, Llorente?

If. We. Can. Sign. A. Player. That. Improves. The. Squad.

Availability at the right price and salary so as not to disrupt the current salary structure in place at Spurs.

Who can we sign that WILL IMPROVE THE SQUAD and won't demand more than we are willing to pay?

Naffing no one, that's who.

The ONLY possible explanation is the one we know of - we couldn't get our first choice targets in the summer (and possibly even our second) and so Poch veto'd buying anyone he thought wasn't good enough.

The state of our squad is now entirely down to Poch in my view; whether it be for good or bad.

IF the kids he believed could come through now perform, he'll look an absolute hero - if we screw up a top 4 finish, he'll be hung drawn and quartered.

If. We. Can. Sign. A. Player. That. Improves. The. Squad.

Availability at the right price and salary so as not to disrupt the current salary structure in place at Spurs.

Who can we sign that WILL IMPROVE THE SQUAD and won't demand more than we are willing to pay?

Naffing no one, that's who.

Christ, every other club in world football must have a magician if they can get transfers done with a host of them being “better than we have got”

Honestly, you would think people are being unreasonable in wanting players in.

The ONLY possible explanation is the one we know of - we couldn't get our first choice targets in the summer (and possibly even our second) and so Poch veto'd buying anyone he thought wasn't good enough.

The state of our squad is now entirely down to Poch in my view; whether it be for good or bad.

IF the kids he believed could come through now perform, he'll look an absolute hero - if we screw up a top 4 finish, he'll be hung drawn and quartered.

That’s a flaw of the manager, does he think at a bigger club he will get 100 percent who he wants?

Jose a manager that has won things that mopo can only dream of didn’t even have that.

"we are trying to do something" says Poch.

So, we may well be doing 'something' after all....

Isn't it great to be a Spurs fan?

Non stop improvement in recent years both on and off the pitch, punching above our weight - yet still ensuring that it's 'never enough'...

"we are trying to do something" says Poch.

So, we may well be doing 'something' after all....

Isn't it great to be a Spurs fan?

Non stop improvement in recent years both on and off the pitch, punching above our weight - yet still ensuring that it's 'never enough'...

Come on now

Signing a player is not “it’s never enough” stuff.

It’s wanting is to maintain where we are and heaven forbid win something

Come on now

But we bitch and complain and still maintain our competitiveness. We, for the most part, love this group of players and watching Spurs play is always enjoyable.

This year's plans are a mess because of the stadium. And we are still doing well. Am I happy? Yes and no. But only no because of the overly aggressive and optimistic time frames we were given for the stadium to be ready.

What happens in February will allow us to judge what happened last summer....or, more appropriately, what didn't happen.

Come on now

I completely agree about 'maintaining where we are' but I have also maintained for years that until we are in a position to compete off the field (in the financial revenues war), the chances of us winning anything against the likes of the financial might of our peers - is slim to none.

(But I know our day is coming).

I'd love to be proved wrong, but as good as our first 11-14 might have been, injuries, fatigue etc etc means today you have to have complete depth in your squad at an incredible quality that the bin dippers, Man C the chav's and Manure have, to be able to compete consistently at the key crunch points in ALL competitions. It's why they have continuously resisted all attempts by the rest of the PL's attempts to increase the 'home grown' quota for years now.

So, I am different to you and many others, I've monitored our financial position and taken a view of the PL ever since I held a large chunk of shares in the club and attended all the AGM/EGM's - and that reality never leaves me - we've never had a sugar Daddy, so we've had to run the club like a business that has to make a profit to be able to re-invest in both tangible and non-tangible assets.

And I know for many that's a tough one to swallow. Worse still, unquestionably in my mind it's meant that we've always erred on the side of caution rather than at times thrown caution to the wind (as so many of demanded).

Other clubs have had sugar daddies that have transported them into something different, and it's no surprise to me that the only other club that hasn't relied on a sugar daddy owner is now not the once great North London Rival it once was.

Since the PL was started, the traditional top5/6 have a capital investment in players and wages that cumulatively dwarfs ours.

So, the one reality I will not deny is that when money talks bullshit walks - and the only way for us to catch up is to keep doing what we're doing - at least for the next 2-3 years.

After that, as Poch says, we have to be doing it differently from how we've done in the last 5 years - and he seems convinced that we will be.

If my budget projections are anywhere near the reality, then I am certain we will be.

After that, it's about buying the right players and paying the inflated fees and vast salaries and taking the risks that our rivals do.

So, yes, like you, I'd love to break the financial reality and win something/anything, but in my book, it just isn't going to happen with the squad we've got - at least not this season, next or the one after...

Last edited:

Well, not entirely. We are still not paying the big wages that our closest rivals pay and we are still not spending the same sums on incomings that our closest rivals are. Levy is still giving Poch limitations to deal with that our rivals do not have. If it were all down to just Poch, we'd have actually signed some of our top targets, like Zaha or Batshauyi.

Levy and Poch were made for each other :ROFLMAO:

One other point:

If UEFA really does enforce FFP we will be moving up as the "funded clubs" are forced down.

This will accelerate our move to a financial contender.

Poch has to operate with players of potential initially and turn them into the finished article. The trouble is how far down the ladder are they to buy at a reasonable price. Look what we paid for Sanchez and he still has a way to go. Grealish would have cost possibly 35 mil , 25 wasn't enough for a promising championship player.

Out of curiosity... to date, are Spurs the only team in the PL era to be deducted points?

I think Portsmouth were deducted loads (but can't remember if it made a difference) 'Boro got deducted, I think - can't remember anyone else?

POCHETTINO: I WON'T USE JANSSEN

Despite a shortage of attacking options, Mauricio Pochettino is insistent on not using out-of-favour striker Vincent Janssen.

The Dutchman signed in the summer of 2016, but has not played since August 2017. He has been linked with a move away from the club this month, with Pochettino saying there is no way back for him in north London.

"I think it's so clear that now it's one year and a half that he's not in our plans," he said. "He's not in Tottenham's plans. Not in just the manager's plans but the club's plan.

"Eighteen months ago we took the decision for him to try to find a different place to play because for different reasons it didn't work. That happens in football.

"It's not a personal problem, it's about the professional side. For different reasons that professional relationship isn't working and we need to find a solution. We are trying to find the resolution.

"He got the injury months ago and we're helping him, trying to find the right place for him to feel again like a player and play football

lol - for me, this is like a car owner telling the whole world that their second hand car hasn't had one careful lady owner, has had the mileage rigged and is a cut and shut.

Good luck selling Janssen when our manager can't even throw in a bit of spin or say nothing at all.

Kevin Price Boateng has done a Paulinho and joined Barcelona :-)

Talking of which, little reality check for Spurs today seeing the money that Frenkie de Jong is joining Barca for.

lol - for me, this is like a car owner telling the whole world that their second hand car hasn't had one careful lady owner, has had the mileage rigged and is a cut and shut.

Good luck selling Janssen when our manager can't even throw in a bit of spin or say nothing at all.

What's a cut and shut?