January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts | Page 73 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts

I'm not sure he's showing all his cards. I think a CM is still on the wish list. It's okay Bossie playing 2 positions but if he drops back to defence our CM options are still restricted.

It could be interesting though if a new striker came in soon as you look at our bench tonight and it is very well balanced. The assumption would be that if he is fit Akinde starts every game so unless we suddenly go 4-4-2 any new striker will start on the bench.

So if you consider those warming it tonight there is a balance of 1 keeper, 2 defenders ( Wilson/Brown) 2 Midfielders ( Freck/Chapman) 1 attacking midfielder and 1 striker. That balance works well to either change a game or protect a lead

So assuming if all are fit and available you have Andrade coming back probably for Chapman ( as Freck ticks the home player requirement box) so any new striker will have to compete with Rhead for a place in the 18.

Would Green have got onto that bench tonight???

Could be interesting. Might upset a few supporters!!

I'm not sure he's showing all his cards. I think a CM is still on the wish list. It's okay Bossie playing 2 positions but if he drops back to defence our CM options are still restricted.
True, I don't think he ever has.

My gut feeling is still 1 more out (with Wharton already gone) and 3 in to come.

It could be interesting though if a new striker came in soon as you look at our bench tonight and it is very well balanced. The assumption would be that if he is fit Akinde starts every game so unless we suddenly go 4-4-2 any new striker will start on the bench.

So if you consider those warming it tonight there is a balance of 1 keeper, 2 defenders ( Wilson/Brown) 2 Midfielders ( Freck/Chapman) 1 attacking midfielder and 1 striker. That balance works well to either change a game or protect a lead

So assuming if all are fit and available you have Andrade coming back probably for Chapman ( as Freck ticks the home player requirement box) so any new striker will have to compete with Rhead for a place in the 18.

Would Green have got onto that bench tonight???

Could be interesting. Might upset a few supporters!!
The risk we've got up front is Akinde getting injured, leaving us with Rhead as a physical presence like Akinde but not the movement.

We'd kick ourselves if we didn't get another ST to take us to 3, Akinde gets injured and suddenly we only have Rhead available.

I think the ST is the most critical position to get sorted.

The risk we've got up front is Akinde getting injured, leaving us with Rhead as a physical presence like Akinde but not the movement.

We'd kick ourselves if we didn't get another ST to take us to 3, Akinde gets injured and suddenly we only have Rhead available.

I do agree we need that security blanket. I do suspect though that a certain fans favourite might be the one to miss out in the 18.

I do agree we need that security blanket. I do suspect though that a certain fans favourite might be the one to miss out in the 18.
Think you will find a striker/waste 10 minutes standing in the corner shielding the ball type player, will get a place on the bench in front of a loanee fullback or young midfielder.

This concerns me too. We do need an additional body in there.

We are at the moment just one bad tackle away from being short of a striker , I didnt realise until Phil pointed it out though that ten yellows are required up until mid March before a two match ban, not five yellows as I thought. Nobody anywhere near that yet, but I still think we will sign somebody up front before deadline day.

Think you will find a striker/waste 10 minutes standing in the corner shielding the ball type player, will get a place on the bench in front of a loanee fullback or young midfielder.
But not in front of someone who can offer a like for like style to Akinde.

No idea who were signing but listening to Danny last night i thought he came across as in awe / amazed who we were talking to player wise!

Current squad (with contract date) after the departure of Scott Wharton (aka the worst kept secret in football):

Goalkeepers: 2
Grant Smith (June 2020)
Josh Vickers (June 2019)

Defenders: 8
Cian Bolger (June 2021)
Michael Bostwick (June 2020)
Neal Eardley (June 2020)
Harry Toffolo (June 2020)
James Wilson (June 2020)
Sam Habergham (June 2019)
Jason Shackell (June 2019)
James Brown (on loan until the end of the season)

Midfielders / Wingers: 7
Lee Frecklington (June 2020)
Ellis Chapman (June 2020)
Tom Pett (June 2020)
Harry Anderson (June 2020)
Bruno Andrade (June 2020)
Michael O'Connor (June 2019 with option for further year)
Danny Rowe (on loan until the end of the season)

Strikers: 3
John Akinde (June 2021)
Matt Rhead (June 2019)
Shay McCartan (on loan until the end of the season with option to purchase)

Total: 20
Signed: 17
On loan: 3

So far this window: 7 out, 3 in

Goalkeepers: 1 out (Slocombe), 0 in
Defenders: 2 out (Crookes, Wharton), 2 in (Bolger, Brown)
Midfielders/wingers: 3 out (Luque, Gordon, Mensah), 1 in (Rowe)
Forwards: 1 out (Green), 0 in