January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts | Page 5 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts

I think we'll see a turnover in the squad players - Mensah, Crookes, Slocombe, Gordon. Wouldn't surprise me if he freshens them up and maybe looks to add one or two permanent rather than relying on loans.

Perhaps doing this season what we did with Frecklington and Pett last season.

I think we'll see a turnover in the squad players - Mensah, Crookes, Slocombe, Gordon. Wouldn't surprise me if he freshens them up and maybe looks to add one or two permanent rather than relying on loans.

Perhaps doing this season what we did with Frecklington and Pett last season.
I think Slocombe is here to stay all season with Smith playing for Maidstone today.

I think Slocombe is here to stay all season with Smith playing for Maidstone today.

Yes we were discussing this. I agree. If we’re still in the FA Cup we’ll need a second keeper not cuptied. Getting knocked out may change things but either way a season as first choice would be better for Smith than sitting on our bench.

Yes we were discussing this. I agree. If we’re still in the FA Cup we’ll need a second keeper not cuptied. Getting knocked out may change things but either way a season as first choice would be better for Smith than sitting on our bench.
Circumstances have conspired against us I think. I like what I saw from Smith and he will be a genuine challenger to Josh. I’m sure we thought Josh was going to be out for longer than he was so had to move for another keeper. Then he returned quicker than expected and it left us with a logistical juggling act with Smith and Slocombe. In my humble opinion I’m sure Smith is part of the future into next season....but then I’ve been wrong before ?

Realistically, I don't think many at our level get past the 3rd round, so if Slocombe is here for the 3rd round then it'll probably not matter.

must be weird being a keeper.

smith played every game for boredom at the business end of the table; moves up a league in the summer, only to currently be playing back at the lower level for a struggling team.

slocombe comes on loan from a higher level, has played 3 checkatrade matches... and will now be on the bench for the foreseeable future just as he was at bristol.

He's just started to do some work back on the grass this week and is expected back to training around the 22nd.

Cheers for that update. Must have mis-remembered the injury report. In any case I doubt we could afford him in all honesty come January as Norwich won't be charitable

Raggett? Not for me. Don’t get me wrong, I loved him here and he’s a great centre back at this level but we simply don’t need him. Shackell and Bostwick is a challenging League One partnership. Look at how many games Wharton, who looked so good last season, has managed. There is multiple positions we could improve before centre back

We either need a second right back or an extra centre back if Wilson is the right back reserve.

Wharton doesn’t look the same player. Perhaps it’s confidence. Crookes is a central midfielder. If the guy from derby also stays we need a second left winger.

Raggett? Not for me. Don’t get me wrong, I loved him here and he’s a great centre back at this level but we simply don’t need him. Shackell and Bostwick is a challenging League One partnership. Look at how many games Wharton, who looked so good last season, has managed. There is multiple positions we could improve before centre back
Getting Rags back would strengthen midfield though as Bostwick could move back there whilst being an incredible back up for centre back position. I'd love him to come back.

I think Raggett would be a hell of a signing for us. I think our wage budget now, would enable us to pay him a wage nearer to what he is on at Norwich. Would Norwich accept £150k ish? He's still only a young player, and could be a good player for us for a few seasons if we can get into Div 1. Likewise he could get his career back on track.

Would Norwich accept £150k ish

I don't think exactly what they paid us was ever properly disclosed but they would want more than that. Also they would think they could get more for him if Rotherham were willing to make an offer of a permanent deal as he seemed to be doing well there before his injury

I think Raggett would be a hell of a signing for us. I think our wage budget now, would enable us to pay him a wage nearer to what he is on at Norwich. Would Norwich accept £150k ish? He's still only a young player, and could be a good player for us for a few seasons if we can get into Div 1. Likewise he could get his career back on track.
I think he would be an goodsigning as well! Personally i wouldnt go that high with a fee as he didnt eventally
I don't think exactly what they paid us was ever properly disclosed but they would want more than that. Also they would think they could get more for him if Rotherham were willing to make an offer of a permanent deal as he seemed to be doing well there before his injury
After paying a loan fee for him i dont think they paid much more!?

According to the Echo:-

Shay McCartan (Bradford City), Bernard Mensah (Bristol Rovers), Scott Wharton (Blackburn), Adam Crookes (Nottingham Forest) and Sam Slocombe (Bristol Rovers) are on all on season-long deals, while Kellan Gordon’s loan from Derby County expires in January.

So we are stuck with Mensah, Slocombe and Crookes until the season end? Gives us very little room for change in January.