January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts | Page 4 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts

1. Don't need cover at right back. Wilson perfectly adequate for that and in a real emergency could use either Gordon or even Anderson there, esp if you played 3 at the back and then used them as a wing back.
2. Can't imagine Blackburn at all happy about lack of football for Wharton. As such wouldn't be at all surprised to see him to go back with Crookes/Wilson covering at centre-half and Crookes/Habergham (when fit) covering left back.
3. Cover for O'Connor is clearly an area to look at. I think that's where DC/NC see Chapman eventually playing, but he clearly isn't ready for a sustained run in the side yet. However with him and Bostwick around I wonder if he thinks he probably has enough cover if it's required.
4. Cover in wider areas is an area to definitely look at. Gordon one option there but Mensah has really disappointed even in limited outings and so definitely need 1+ there.
5.Plenty of reasons to look at Hawkridge again. We play very differently now to when he was last here and so could easily see him playing in similar areas/role to Pett/Frecklington as clearly his lack of pace wouldn't work in wide areas now we play this way and his football intelligence and good passing could really work in getting Akinde loose behind defenders.
6. Is Matt Green really happy in the current set-up??? I wouldn't be at all be surprised to see him try and find regular first team football. Combine that with Macartan potentially returning to Bradford and you have a real vacancy for a third striker to play off (or alongside) either of the big men. Whilst I see Norwood as a real longshot, he is a combination of the best bits of both Macartan and Green and so can see the logic, however unlikely.

7. DC/NC to surprise & delight.....????.... of course they will!

Great post and especially point 6. Here's my longshot...Tom Elliott in on loan in January.

Expect the unexpected I would say ! Every transfer window seem to sign someone to improve on players we mostly hadn't considered needed to be moved on, just look at how the squad has evolved, so perhaps some others who we haven't considered yet.

I have heard rumours of Green being unhappy with his lot and who could blame him? Top scorer last season and finds himself on the bench every week this. Not saying he should be in the side every week - we are top with his limited input - but there is an argument to say he should have been given more starts.

Yes my concern is that he’ll get his head turned in the new year
He’s showed again midweek what a superb forward he is
Regardless of how well we are doing atm he’d be a major loss

If McCartan leaves he could be back in the 1st XI again in January.
Ours? (yes please); or relegation scrappers Bradford City?? The deal is there, the player willing if his media statements are to be believed, but stuff happens.

We need him (or similar) and Green, different options for the second half of the season and hopefully the push for the title.

Yes my concern is that he’ll get his head turned in the new year
He’s showed again midweek what a superb forward he is
Regardless of how well we are doing atm he’d be a major loss
Grimesby anybody till the summer?They even talk about Rheady now as somebody they need now after slagging him off.

Ours? (yes please); or relegation scrappers Bradford City?? The deal is there, the player willing if his media statements are to be believed, but stuff happens.

We need him (or similar) and Green, different options for the second half of the season and hopefully the push for the title.
I think he would come however Bradford paid £220/225k and would be wanting alot of it back i would imagine.Not sure when his contract is up at Bradford but he would be alot cheaper in the summer.

I think he would come however Bradford paid £220/225k and would be wanting alot of it back i would imagine.Not sure when his contract is up at Bradford but he would be alot cheaper in the summer.

Wikipedia ( not the greatest reliable tool I know but probably right for something like this) shows he signed a 3 year deal with Bradford in 2017 so he's half way through it. Won't come cheap either way

We don't particularly need anyone... unless a player leaves and then we will need a replacement.

We don't particularly need anyone... unless a player leaves and then we will need a replacement.
We really only have 3 first choice central midfielders. And there are games when we need all three. You don’t think we need at least one more in there? Ideally a left central midfielder.

Andrade is definitely on my radar for moving if the right club comes in for him (at the right price).

Have a few Sheffield United work colleagues and they seem to think SU are interested in Andrade (then again they could be "interested" in 20 players for all I know).

McCarten going back creates a further risk in our attacking play.

For me, January is about keeping as much of the squad together as we can and strengthening where we can.

I can see Greeny going he will be getting frustrated and the likes of Mensah and Gordon being sent back.

Elliott has started and scored for Millwall today so even more of a long shot I suggest
Maybe so....not a regular starter, high impact player when used off the bench, comes from Leeds so may want to move back north, a pal of mine who has a season ticket at Millwall thought he would go on loan in Jan if he wasn’t starting regularly and we know D.C. and Harris are pals.
All conjecture on my part but that’s the fun of forums.

Could be a lot of movement this window.

I think we may try to keep Gordon, but that possibly depends on whether DC manages to bring in another winger (Rowe looking less likely due to his recent involvement with the first team).

If we are out of the Checkatrade (which we probably will be by January) I can see Crookes and Mensah having no part to play at all. Blackburn will probably want Wharton to be playing more. Slocombe will be back to Bristol Rovers and I suspect Luque will not get a contract extension.

Another CM required - Chapman may be a good prospect but he isn't good enough yet to start regularly.

I can see both our wingers being £1m plus players.

Nice to see them in league one with the imps.

Down to Danny, Nicky and Clive wise words to make them stay.

Should we make a cash bid for Raggett? Yes