January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts | Page 91 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts

I suspect that we have one member of the Academy or youth set up who is/was from Eire and who is still to take their exams. Being over here they can take the standard subjects at standard schools/colleges, but that they would need external tutoring for the Irish language course, which is a mandatory element of the Leaving Certificate (like UK 'A' Levels).

For reference,

'Students following the Leaving Certificate (Established) programme are required to study at least five subjects, one of which must be Irish (although students may be exempted from the Irish requirement in certain, very limited, circumstances). Most students take seven subjects for examination.

The median age on completion is 18, and 96% of candidates are aged 17, 18 or 19 years.'.

Bumping this back up, really just to highlight how excellent our January business was. It felt like it was a good window at the time but the last few weeks have reinforced that.

Ok, Angol and Brown have barely (or not) featured, Bolger came in due to Shackell's injury but for me, Gilks, O'Hara and Rowe have had huge impacts.

Gilks has brought an experience and calmness about him (the latter certainly one of Vickers' strengths IMO) and crucially someone who's been there and got the t-shirt. He's conceded 1(?) from open play in 9 games? I know we're decent defensively but he's still made a handful of good saves (Macc last week and yesterday the two recent ones).

O'Hara seems to have offered a bit of everything as an all round midfield, in an area that wasn't quite working at times earlier in the season. He seems to have knitted that together a bit better. He can play, height, strength, aerial threat in both areas, gets around the pitch, box to box and gets stuck in, too.

Rowe has been like we started seeing prior to his injury last season at Port Vale and has probably sharpened McCartan's mind, too, because he's performed well after his spell on the bench.

Those three, right through the spine of the team, have really kicked us on.

Bumping this back up, really just to highlight how excellent our January business was. It felt like it was a good window at the time but the last few weeks have reinforced that.

Ok, Angol and Brown have barely (or not) featured, Bolger came in due to Shackell's injury but for me, Gilks, O'Hara and Rowe have had huge impacts.

Gilks has brought an experience and calmness about him (the latter certainly one of Vickers' strengths IMO) and crucially someone who's been there and got the t-shirt. He's conceded 1(?) from open play in 9 games? I know we're decent defensively but he's still made a handful of good saves (Macc last week and yesterday the two recent ones).

O'Hara seems to have offered a bit of everything as an all round midfield, in an area that wasn't quite working at times earlier in the season. He seems to have knitted that together a bit better. He can play, height, strength, aerial threat in both areas, gets around the pitch, box to box and gets stuck in, too.

Rowe has been like we started seeing prior to his injury last season at Port Vale and has probably sharpened McCartan's mind, too, because he's performed well after his spell on the bench.

Those three, right through the spine of the team, have really kicked us on.
I would certainly be trying to sign O'Hara and Rowe permanently, both would be assets in L1. I would also be looking to extend Gilks' contract for another year.

I would certainly be trying to sign O'Hara and Rowe permanently, both would be assets in L1. I would also be looking to extend Gilks' contract for another year.
Same but will Rowe be available if Ipswich drop down? O'Hara contracted until 2021 at Posh so could be expensive if they want to keep him too.

Equally have to be impressed with Roberts, Angol, and brown. Came in from higher up, Hardly featured, but have bought into it and not rocked the boat. Quality attitude. Presumably they like being well managed...

Not had chance to show what they can do. Feel sorry for them really, as dc wouldn’t have signed them if they didn’t have lots to offer. but hardly any injuries, and 18 games unbeaten has worked against them

Equally have to be impressed with Roberts, Angol, and brown. Came in from higher up, Hardly featured, but have bought into it and not rocked the boat. Quality attitude. Presumably they like being well managed...

Not had chance to show what they can do. Feel sorry for them really, as dc wouldn’t have signed them if they didn’t have lots to offer. but hardly any injuries, and 18 games unbeaten has worked against them

They will get their chances over the next few weeks and then we can assess the situation further.

Same but will Rowe be available if Ipswich drop down? O'Hara contracted until 2021 at Posh so could be expensive if they want to keep him too.
Peterborough have already agreed an option to buy for O'Hara. We tried to make it permanent in January, but O'Hara was not sure he wanted to join us at that point. Sounds like he does now. We also have an option to buy McCartan. Transfer fees are usually agreed at the time, so we will probably know how much Peterborough and Bradford want already.

Rowe is a question mark, although quite how much Lambert has seen of him may determine whether he wants to keep him or not. He may decide to make a clean sweep and bring in his own players for a promotion challenge. They will certainly be expecting to go straight back up.

Might see a bit of Roberts, Brown and Angol if we wrap up the title sharpish, although Newport's looking like the only dead rubber at the minute.

Looking back, how many people even considered we needed a keeper. But what's Gilks goals conceded to games ratio? Must be something ridiculous

Looking back, how many people even considered we needed a keeper. But what's Gilks goals conceded to games ratio? Must be something ridiculous
There were certainly several debates on here about it before we signed Gilks. For my part, I think Vickers' chronic injury is a real problem, and possibly one with no solution. He simply cannot be played until they get it sorted for good because he will just break down all the time. That leaves us with Smith, whose stats are actually better than Vickers' but whom many feel is not as good a keeper. He is also very inexperienced at this level, which I think has been visible on occasion.

Gilks stats are top-notch:
Played: 9
Clean sheets: 5 (the most of any City keeper this season)
Conceded: 4 (direct free kick v Exeter; direct free kick with a huge deflection v FGR; close range header after being deliberately crowded out at Mansfield; and an excellent close range finish v Macclesfield following a defensive error)

And you have to think his experience and influence helps us from an attacking perspective too.

P9 W6 D3 F15 A4 Pts21