Jan Vertonghen - Player Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Jan Vertonghen - Player Thread

It's obvious most of our star players will be off very soon, to be fair to them they've all been loyal to us. Lloris, Jan, Toby, Rose, Dele, Eriksen, Kane (even to an extent Dier) will all be gone in the next 2 years, how many more years of there careers can they play without winning things? Lets be honest it ain't happening anytime soon with us, I don't blame them.

Agree 100%. Whilst we've only lost Walker in the last 2 seasons, it's worrying when you think about the current contract situation of several players at the club. With Levy and his leadership team firing so many blanks recently, I've lost a lot of confidence that we can retain the younger ones in the group, including Hugo as a GK, who has many years left in him.

As for Vertonghen. When you look at the now 30-something generation of superb centre halves in Godin, Thiago Silva, Pique, Ramos, Kompany etc, I bet none of them were worried about not getting a new contract. They will mostly continue to win silverware and get paid more money than Jan can expect from us. That must turn his head as he's up there with them as the very best.

One of my main hopes for the last summer window was to bring in Jan's replacement ahead of time, similar to what we did with Sanchez.

He'll be off, and we need to sign a replacement well before the beginning of next season, otherwise we will pay 100 million for dross.

One of my main hopes for the last summer window was to bring in Jan's replacement ahead of time, similar to what we did with Sanchez.

He'll be off, and we need to sign a replacement well before the beginning of next season, otherwise we will pay 100 million for dross.

Do you know what's interesting though? Look at where Sanchez plays for his country and where he played in pre-season. I hadn't spotted it last season but at the moment we have the cultured player on the left in Jan and the younger, quicker, physical player in Sanchez on the right. Who's to say that we don't reverse that with Sanchez switching to the left and Foyth coming in on the right once they have enough games under their belt. It's hard to imagine now, but that partnership could become equally as good or even better as the Toby / Jan one in a couple of years. From what I've seen, Foyth is very cultured and the reason why clubs like PSG were competing with us for his signature. He needs time on the pitch though and needs to bulk up.

Do you know what's interesting though? Look at where Sanchez plays for his country and where he played in pre-season. I hadn't spotted it last season but at the moment we have the cultured player on the left in Jan and the younger, quicker, physical player in Sanchez on the right. Who's to say that we don't reverse that with Sanchez switching to the left and Foyth coming in on the right once they have enough games under their belt. It's hard to imagine now, but that partnership could become equally as good or even better as the Toby / Jan one in a couple of years. From what I've seen, Foyth is very cultured and the reason why clubs like PSG were competing with us for his signature. He needs time on the pitch though and needs to bulk up.

Wherver he plays, we still need a ready to go, class CB to pair with him.

A common mistake I keep seeing is 'player X made the grade at this age/without playing in the PL/whatever, so player Y can too'. Alli was used as an example, Kane, and now Sanchez.

Sanchez is a freak of nature, a physical abomination. CBs dont mature before 25 - physically, mentally and positional awareness wise.

Foyth doesn't have Sanchez' attributes and he needs serious game time, at any level. I am very skeptical about him making the grade in such a short time, he has too many holes to work on.

We need a top CB coming in to pair with Sanchez who is still learning.

It's obvious most of our star players will be off very soon, to be fair to them they've all been loyal to us. Lloris, Jan, Toby, Rose, Dele, Eriksen, Kane (even to an extent Dier) will all be gone in the next 2 years, how many more years of there careers can they play without winning things? Lets be honest it ain't happening anytime soon with us, I don't blame them.

Who do we blame, Poch?

Players have a responsibilty to step up and play to their abilities too...

Who do we blame, Poch?

Yes, Poch. He should have won us at least 1 cup over the last 3 seasons. It might seem harsh saying it now but I bet in 10 years time when we look back at the current crop of players we have/had then we will all be saying what a disaster it was that we never won a thing.

Yes, Poch. He should have won us at least 1 cup over the last 3 seasons. It might seem harsh saying it now but I bet in 10 years time when we look back at the current crop of players we have/had then we will all be saying what a disaster it was that we never won a thing.

Then him staying was a mistake and we've cocked up?!

It's always easy to point the finger at the manager, but looking at the last two semi finals Poch made two decisions that possibly cost us those games.
Playing Son as left wing back was probably worth a shot, I'm not sure that a semi final was the place to do it.
Not playing Hugo is another decision that probably deserves scrutiny, I would be confident Hugo would certainly have saved their winner. That's not to we would have one the game or the cup.

Who do we blame, Poch?

Very true...and a tough question. It isn't always easy to simply place blame on one person.

I think my answer is simply...YES.

The Players must do the job on the pitch. And the coaches need to ensure we are set up the best for success on and off the pitch.

Unfortunately the brutal truth is that leaders will always and should always shoulder the blame.

In the bigger picture, this is why I don't blame Poch if we lose our "superstars". All he's been guilty of is creating the superstars along with the player themselves. If they leave, the onus goes up a level to Levy and ENIC. You can't take the rewards from increased CL revenues, increased player valuations and large transfer fees (e.g. Walker) and not recognise them for where they are in the footballing pyramid.

I'm not saying they will or won't, but am getting increasingly nervous that I'm not seeing Poch with his right arm around one of his players enough recently.

Don't disagree with Topspur though. There's been tactical suicide a few times along this journey by Poch. I'm not sure that winning one FA Cup would be enough to keep them but it would have certainly helped and given us fans something to celebrate.

I said the same when Harry was in charge but got shot down.

Funny enough he even admits now he should have won a trophy with the team he had.

Most definitely RD, although Harry probably only had a couple of seasons with our best 11 together and he took us on that magical CL run where it was all new to us, so he probably got off lightly.

Now we've been there and done it there is more pressure on Poch to deliver and rightly so.

Heart says 50m, brain says 35m. He's 31, and that's still ALOT.

His value isn't his cash value, it's his brilliance on the pitch. At times he's been priceless.