Jan Vertonghen - Player Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Jan Vertonghen - Player Thread

The reality is that we have to live with this BS until such time we win a trophy. It's clearly in vogue with the media to throw stones at THFC right now and has been for a couple of years. It's got worse since Jose joined. Even the Beeb got involved last week with The One Show. I take it as a compliment because the media don't even pick on the Gooner shite anymore. They're not even worthy as they exist in their world of mediocrity. Chelsea still get some along with Ollie and Utd. The media are clearly waiting for Pep to lose in the CL so they can write his epitaph as well.

Right now, Jose is using all of this noise to galvanise the squad. He's removed the bad eggs and is pulling the rest together well. I always listen for the small sound bites like Gio wanting to pull on the shirt last night. The reaction of the bench when we score. There's an entire 80% of any Jose interview that gets ignored by the media as it sends out positivity about the club.

As for Vertonghen. Think about his reaction to being subbed. Watch his reaction to us scoring from the bench. Then think about these 2 words....Christian Eriksen. Puts it all into perspective.

Well, I might be the odd one amongst fellow spuds, but I would welcome an extension to Jan's stay. I have read the arguments and most evolve around age and lack of pace and some even picked out his poor showing v the freak (Traore).

Well, IMO, you will see Jan and Toby in Belgium lineup for another couple of years. Secondly, the partnership has served us well and can do so for another couple of years, whilst nurturing long term replacements.

Verts is being played out of position whilst we lack a trustworthy and able LWB. So, expecting an ageing CB to bomb forward and then defend against the likes of Traore is a ridiculous plot.

In the past, I have welcomed the surprise runs that Verts used to make, an element that caught the opposition too and he often whipped in a good cross or had a good shot at the goal. That's more than I have come to expect from Davies. Rose is shot, so Sess has to be the future and once in, would allow Verts to pair up 'properly' with Toby.

As long as he is not demanding parity with Toby's remuneration, I'd extend his stay.

I've been arguing against that stance for the past two seasons; he's been in steady decline and last night sadly was what I feared most, that he'd have to face it where it would hurt him the most.

There is no place for sentimentality in football; he owes us nothing we owe him nothing, we have to move past him and onwards. For the last time I have to repeat extending his deal would be a disastrous message to send to the rest of the squad and our fans.

Good luck to him for whatever he does in the future, but if it's playing, it cannot be with us.

I've been arguing against that stance for the past two seasons; he's been in steady decline and last night sadly was what I feared most, that he'd have to face it where it would hurt him the most.

There is no place for sentimentality in football; he owes us nothing we owe him nothing, we have to move past him and onwards. For the last time I have to repeat extending his deal would be a disastrous message to send to the rest of the squad and our fans.

Good luck to him for whatever he does in the future, but if it's playing, it cannot be with us.
Seeing the club upset you with Toby's extension, It wouldn't surprise me if they do a double whammy on you Ex! All depends on what funds are made available in summer and where our priorities lie.

Mopo is easing him out the side.

Cant see him be offered a new deal.

So Vertonghen leaves and then at the start of next season Toby gets injured. What's our Plan B? Right now, the thought of having Sanchez and Tanganga as a partnership seems a little scary to me. That's even with the experience of Davies at LB talking to them.

I don't know too many available left sided centre halves that are leaders as well as great players. Even Umtiti does more listening than talking. Perhaps Milan captain Romanogli could adapt. Other than that, Nathan Ake plays there but I always feel is a little short to be at the elite level.

We have to still make the tough decision on Jan though.

The Portuguese insisted he did not need to speak with his defender as he would be able to understand that his substitution was a tactical decision.

"It's normal that he's sad. No player likes to come out," said Mourinho after the game on Wednesday.

"I decided to sacrifice Jan, so sad yes and with a reason to be sad, but happy now because he won.

"I don't need to speak to him because he's an intelligent guy. He's very professional and it's obvious that I did it not to punish because he was playing exactly the same as the others."

So Vertonghen leaves and then at the start of next season Toby gets injured. What's our Plan B? Right now, the thought of having Sanchez and Tanganga as a partnership seems a little scary to me. That's even with the experience of Davies at LB talking to them.

I don't know too many available left sided centre halves that are leaders as well as great players. Even Umtiti does more listening than talking. Perhaps Milan captain Romanogli could adapt. Other than that, Nathan Ake plays there but I always feel is a little short to be at the elite level.

We have to still make the tough decision on Jan though.

Agree there are not many natural LCB around.

Weirdly Sanchez looks better as a LCB and Tang looks more than comfortable at LCB. Neither are natural lefties but we at least have options there.

So didn't think it fair that a club legend like Vertonghen goes into his last game and leaves without a massive send off.

I actually feel bad for the guy that he didn't get to play in front of the Spurs fans and get a proper send off. 8 years of pure quality and one of the best signings this clubs has made in my opinion. His partnership with Toby was fantastic.

I'll be sad to see him go, but know that it is the right decision for both parties.

Good luck SuperJan.