Jan Vertonghen - Player Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

Jan Vertonghen - Player Thread

I'll be mightily disappointed if we give him the two-year deal he's said to be demanding, we get the occasional cameo from him, but he's in steep physical decline now.

I tend to agree.

Go back through recent history and you'll see Umtiti replacing Puyol with Pique. We all saw the Godin / Miranda and Pepe / Ramos partnerships break with Gimenez and Varane taking over and recently we've seen the Boating / Hummels partnership broken for club and country. Sule is now the man.

Keeping 2 ageing centre halves together, however great they are, never makes sense. Pick one (Toby) and get pace around him and watch him thrive for another few years. Let the other one go. It's a tried and trusted formula.

Not as fussed with Jan. I think he can be replaced.

I'm quite happy with a Toby, Sanchez pairing now. It's the back ups that are more of an issue.

I tend to agree.

Go back through recent history and you'll see Umtiti replacing Puyol with Pique. We all saw the Godin / Miranda and Pepe / Ramos partnerships break with Gimenez and Varane taking over and recently we've seen the Boating / Hummels partnership broken for club and country. Sule is now the man.

Keeping 2 ageing centre halves together, however great they are, never makes sense. Pick one (Toby) and get pace around him and watch him thrive for another few years. Let the other one go. It's a tried and trusted formula.

I have always liked the idea of an older CB nursing a younger one along, who could forget Naybet with Ledley ?

So what do we read into the Toby contract with respect to Vertonghen? Does it mean that if we don't see him splashed all over the official website within a week or so then he's gone at the end of the season?

that's probs a fair assumption but you never know with us. Offered Llorente an extension once he was out of contract, not to mention bringing Vorm back.

Well, I might be the odd one amongst fellow spuds, but I would welcome an extension to Jan's stay. I have read the arguments and most evolve around age and lack of pace and some even picked out his poor showing v the freak (Traore).

Well, IMO, you will see Jan and Toby in Belgium lineup for another couple of years. Secondly, the partnership has served us well and can do so for another couple of years, whilst nurturing long term replacements.

Verts is being played out of position whilst we lack a trustworthy and able LWB. So, expecting an ageing CB to bomb forward and then defend against the likes of Traore is a ridiculous plot.

In the past, I have welcomed the surprise runs that Verts used to make, an element that caught the opposition too and he often whipped in a good cross or had a good shot at the goal. That's more than I have come to expect from Davies. Rose is shot, so Sess has to be the future and once in, would allow Verts to pair up 'properly' with Toby.

As long as he is not demanding parity with Toby's remuneration, I'd extend his stay.

Last edited:
I felt really bad for him tonight. You could see he was genuinely frustrated at being subbed but way too professional to give Jose further problems as he was in the middle of managing the game. He just sat there and stared into space.

I just wish all parties would confirm that our Spurs legend is leaving at the end of this season. He should come on as sub in the last game and be carried off the pitch by the rest of the guys. In the mean time, probably just a squad player covering injuries.

I felt really bad for him tonight. You could see he was genuinely frustrated at being subbed but way too professional to give Jose further problems as he was in the middle of managing the game. He just sat there and stared into space.

I just wish all parties would confirm that our Spurs legend is leaving at the end of this season. He should come on as sub in the last game and be carried off the pitch by the rest of the guys. In the mean time, probably just a squad player covering injuries.
Completely agree, Muttley. He looked like he'd received bad news as he was taken off. We've all seen tantrums or players storming down the tunnel etc but I can't recall ever seeing a player just sit on the bench and stare into space like that. Like you, I found it hard to watch a club legend look so broken.

Completely agree, Muttley. He looked like he'd received bad news as he was taken off. We've all seen tantrums or players storming down the tunnel etc but I can't recall ever seeing a player just sit on the bench and stare into space like that. Like you, I found it hard to watch a club legend look so broken.
Then again, he might get a start v Villa. After all Jose needed to make a change (that proved to be justified) and sacrificing Vert could be seen as no different to Dier being replaced in the 1st half in Jose's opening game. Regardless, Vert ain't going anywhere until summer and may play a vital role if for example Davies upon his return is used sparingly.

It was a tactical change which worked, and I applaud Jan for the reaction.

I didn't see a bad performance nor can I see the cliff edge drop in form some are implying. He is a bit rusty, but the 3 at the back formation and the constant changes never help.

When he came off the balance changed, as you'd expect when adding a midfielder, but Southampton were still cutting through us.

Thought that a lot of players made mistakes early that resulted in dangerous chances or goals.

10th minute, Tanganga chases Long and Aurier doesn't track Redmond back.
19th minute, Ward-Prowse sends a beautiful pass around Sess and Verts but Lloris should have been out of his line instead of tracking back.
1st goal - Hojbjerg passes to Boufal, effectively nullifying the second line - Ndombele is stranded on the touchline , Aurier is being himself and Toby is forced nearly to the edge of the box.
We have 5 players trying to contain 3 attackers, Boufal sprints forward, and this is where Toby and Jan have a rare miscommunication - both going for the block.
Sess should have been a lot closer to Jan and never allowed Redmond to get inside, and his response time to Redmond's sprint was shocking.
Aurier, again out of position for Hugo's save.

We are defending so poorly all across the pitch, we have brain dead players like Aurier who can't and will never learn, so hold on with the pitchforks.

I can guarantee that with Davies and Tang as fullbacks, Jan will again look the CB that he is.

Then again, he might get a start v Villa. After all Jose needed to make a change (that proved to be justified) and sacrificing Vert could be seen as no different to Dier being replaced in the 1st half in Jose's opening game. Regardless, Vert ain't going anywhere until summer and may play a vital role if for example Davies upon his return is used sparingly.
Critical, in no way am I having a pop at Jose for subbing him. I'm all for a manager making tough decisions in an attempt to win a game. If Poch had put sentiment aside who knows what might have been in Madrid last year.

It was just sad to see Verts look so dejected. I felt for the guy, but the decision no doubt about it was the correct one.

Critical, in no way am I having a pop at Jose for subbing him. I'm all for a manager making tough decisions in an attempt to win a game. If Poch had put sentiment aside who knows what might have been in Madrid last year.

It was just sad to see Verts look so dejected. I felt for the guy, but the decision no doubt about it was the correct one.
Eagle, my bad mate. I replied to your post thus implying a debate between you and me!. Was a general comment.

You know, what made it difficult to bear was the fact Vert had to walk half the periphery of the pitch with the camera following him. Further, the cam remained focused on him much longer while he sat looking bemused and cut a lone figure.

Clearly media were looking for some drama/reaction. Vert ain't a Dele or an Ozil having tantrums type of person.

That sadness was disturbing. His mental state was exposed there. He should be able to accept such a substitution and not publicly show emotion like that. He his a fully grown adult. He behaved like a scolded little boy....man up Jan !!

Eagle, my bad mate. I replied to your post thus implying a debate between you and me!. Was a general comment.

You know, what made it difficult to bear was the fact Vert had to walk half the periphery of the pitch with the camera following him. Further, the cam remained focused on him much longer while he sat looking bemused and cut a lone figure.

Clearly media were looking for some drama/reaction. Vert ain't a Dele or an Ozil having tantrums type of person.
Yeah, the media love a bit of drama, don't they! And you are right about him walking off the pitch that way. At first, I thought he'd picked up a knock and was walking gingerly. But when the camera kept panning to him on the bench, I thought, "Oh shit!" lol

Jose praised him for his professionalism. It can’t be easy being subbed like that . The cameras pissed me off . But then BT ‘s coverage in general pisses me off , from the studio, to pitch side presentation ( what’s that all about) to the commentators and the upcoming adverts for games (all in ultra HD of course . ) They would have loved it had Verts thrown a strop .But he did not , no matter how long they trained the camera on him .