Jan Vertonghen - Player Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

Jan Vertonghen - Player Thread

The answer on Aaron's is not well mate I've been watching him hard. Right now he would not have displaced Tripper.

Haven't watched him once actually. He's still 3 years younger than KWP so who knows what sort of trajectory he is on at this stage.

The answer on Aaron's is not well mate I've been watching him hard. Right now he would not have displaced Tripper.

He looks worse than KWP. Would be a pointless signing.

I think Mutters mentioned it, we need to spend decent money on full backs and stop doing things on the cheap.

Verts head seems to be right after stating he loves the club, is fit and wants to play. He wants to help us win a trophy.
...so he's been taking notes from his media training handbook from the chapter about saying the right things to please the fans.

But in all seriousness, now the window is closed and he has started his first game, I sincerely hope that he and Toby continue to build on their previous experience.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Toby/Jan CB partnership had much game time together last season due to injuries, so things can only get better at the back!

...so he's been taking notes from his media training handbook from the chapter about saying the right things to please the fans.

But in all seriousness, now the window is closed and he has started his first game, I sincerely hope that he and Toby continue to build on their previous experience.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Toby/Jan CB partnership had much game time together last season due to injuries, so things can only get better at the back!

I don't want either of them running down their contracts, not with our future CBs we have lined up !!

Whether Jan stays or not he is playing very professionally. I'm not sure how he feels about playing LB but he drew plenty praise today for his performance. More touches than any other Spurs player, high pass accuracy and two dribbles.

Whether Jan stays or not he is playing very professionally. I'm not sure how he feels about playing LB but he drew plenty praise today for his performance. More touches than any other Spurs player, high pass accuracy and two dribbles.
I thought he was good today and against Bournemouth but he was shite against man utd. I can’t see him contributing enough to challenge for trophies beyond this year. Interesting he had most touches

What a wonderful goal he scored at Wolves. The movement and execution was top notch. He had a tough game defending against Traore but I guess most would.
He said he asked if he could go up for the corner and leave Sissoko back which was agreed. Our attackers set about occupying the Wolves defenders which left Jan pretty much free with space. Eriksen looked to have spotted that and planted one into Jan's zone, he just had to move toward the ball slightly and connected powerfully and accurately.
I really want to believe that Eriksen aimed for Jan by-passing the main mass of players closer to goal. The shape was right, high looping outswinger, the depth and pace was right.
So what is Eriksens mindset ? ....maybe he does care .
Anyway this is about Jan and whatever happens with his contract he has served the club well, a class act.

As long as he keeps that dick Rose out of the team he can keep playing at LB.

I think come end of the season his time is up.

I don't know asI haven't watched it but was told by a friend that Traore roasted him every time he went near him and Jan couldn't cope - either Traore is now an incredible player (as some now think he is) or Jan's done for, and I strongly suspect it's the later.

What a wonderful goal he scored at Wolves. The movement and execution was top notch. He had a tough game defending against Traore but I guess most would.
He said he asked if he could go up for the corner and leave Sissoko back which was agreed. Our attackers set about occupying the Wolves defenders which left Jan pretty much free with space. Eriksen looked to have spotted that and planted one into Jan's zone, he just had to move toward the ball slightly and connected powerfully and accurately.
I really want to believe that Eriksen aimed for Jan by-passing the main mass of players closer to goal. The shape was right, high looping outswinger, the depth and pace was right.
So what is Eriksens mindset ? ....maybe he does care .
Anyway this is about Jan and whatever happens with his contract he has served the club well, a class act.

I've seen his corner now and to be fair that must be one of the few corners he's beaten the first man in a very long time!

I don't know asI haven't watched it but was told by a friend that Traore roasted him every time he went near him and Jan couldn't cope - either Traore is now an incredible player (as some now think he is) or Jan's done for, and I strongly suspect it's the later.

Jan, Dier, Kane all had to take him out during the game. He was in beast mode. Having said that Son didn't work hard enough to cover IMO.

I’m not sure anyone would have stopped AT at the weekend, what Jan did do was slow him up and give time for others to come over and cover.

I’m not sure anyone would have stopped AT at the weekend, what Jan did do was slow him up and give time for others to come over and cover.

Not to mention this is where opposition managers already know our lop-sidedness. If you was setting up against Jose, you'd throw that speedy player on the right and attack our left by keep switching play quickly. Utd have already succeeded doing it and we were lucky to come out with 3 points at Wolves.

I personally think Jose needs to be more thoughtful on how he sets up in these big away games and get the team more balanced again.

Not to mention this is where opposition managers already know our lop-sidedness. If you was setting up against Jose, you'd throw that speedy player on the right and attack our left by keep switching play quickly. Utd have already succeeded doing it and we were lucky to come out with 3 points at Wolves.

I personally think Jose needs to be more thoughtful on how he sets up in these big away games and get the team more balanced again.

I don’t disagree - when Davies is back that will add more.

If we had another right back I could see us switching attacking full back side

I don’t think he’s got much other option than to set up as we are at the moment.

I don’t disagree - when Davies is back that will add more.

If we had another right back I could see us switching attacking full back side

I don’t think he’s got much other option than to set up as we are at the moment.

I do. I think we're fine at home especially against the mid to lower sides. We're not OK away though against the better sides.

It's subtle. I think Jose believes that Sanchez, Aurier and Moura should own that right side with Dele and Kane floating about with them. What actually happened again is that Moura lost the plot after his great goal and Sissoko ended up drifting over there again. That hurt the left. That's after Moura did his impression of Lord Lucan at OT, our last league away game, and exactly the same thing happening.

So Jose has a choice. Throw in the 3rd midfielder to the left of Dier or get Moura to figure this Premiership defending thing out.

Mutts Lucas and Son are driving me nuts with their weak defensive work.

Take Siss and Lucas out of the first 11 might help. Add Winks and Lo.

So what do we read into the Toby contract with respect to Vertonghen? Does it mean that if we don't see him splashed all over the official website within a week or so then he's gone at the end of the season?

So what do we read into the Toby contract with respect to Vertonghen? Does it mean that if we don't see him splashed all over the official website within a week or so then he's gone at the end of the season?

I'll be mightily disappointed if we give him the two-year deal he's said to be demanding, we get the occasional cameo from him, but he's in steep physical decline now.