Jan Transfer Window | Page 63 | Vital Football

Jan Transfer Window

I am hoping yesterday is the start of a slow climb up the table. We looked better, more attacking and almost a half decent championship team. We just have to prove it by staying up.

I totally missed the game, saw the result on my return by accident which was annoying cos could have watched it without the knowledge. Saw the headlines, new kid done well etc so I was looking forward to watching it.
I only got to about an hour as was falling asleep as it was still boring and obviously knowing the goals were finished I gave up.
New kid didnt seem to offer much tho I did say his contract would mean he starts and so he did. Good to see Grabban hit the target if he's gonne be hanging up there all season. Krovanavic looked a bit lightweight too? CC seemed to put in a few better crosses, perhaps they actually started working on those basics of get the ball in the box and someone trying to get in the box.
I will read through this game thread but seemed a bit mehh from that hour

Like his predecessors, he's inherited a bloated, unbalanced squad and he's clearly been tasked with getting rid of players, but has also had to bring in signings to try & navigate a route to safety.

Another tranche of players are out of contract this summer, Hughton will then hopefully have a chance to shape the squad - if we stick by him.

Managers dont have a right to rebuild the side, thier remit is to work with what we have, improve the football, results and the players, it isnt fantasy football and CH doesnt have 5 years to change 2 or 3 players a year to hit the target.
He inherited a top 7 club with a dozen additions yet we are far worse than a year ago, he hasnt improved any players, he hasnt solved the lack of goals and his transfer targets have been less than inspiring. After suffering years of shit football I want to see some good football, its got to a point that Id rather see that than the play off's. Give me the u23's all playing, over achieving, playing good football and finishing 16th over this every time

Managers dont have a right to rebuild the side, thier remit is to work with what we have, improve the football, results and the players, it isnt fantasy football and CH doesnt have 5 years to change 2 or 3 players a year to hit the target.
He inherited a top 7 club with a dozen additions yet we are far worse than a year ago, he hasnt improved any players, he hasnt solved the lack of goals and his transfer targets have been less than inspiring. After suffering years of shit football I want to see some good football, its got to a point that Id rather see that than the play off's. Give me the u23's all playing, over achieving, playing good football and finishing 16th over this every time
He inherited a side with no confidence that was haemorrhaging goals, couldn’t score and looked odds on to be relegated.

Most of the players we signed should have been a lot better than they have shown but they have either been injured, out of form or both.

I don’t disagree that he has made mistakes and the football and results have not been good but who would you suggest we replace him with?

There aren’t many managers with a better record in this division. And pretty much none within our price range. So for my money, we stick with him and if he keeps us up we give him the chance to rebuild properly.

Give me the u23's all playing, over achieving, playing good football and finishing 16th over this every time
What makes you so sure that the U23s squad would over achieve, play good football and not get relegated finishing rock bottom? It's a romantic idea with absolutely no substance or sense of reality to it.

What makes you so sure that the U23s squad would over achieve, play good football and not get relegated finishing rock bottom? It's a romantic idea with absolutely no substance or sense of reality to it.

"What makes you so sure that the U23s squad would over achieve," the voices in his head.

And when you say there is no substance; I'm guessing there is, but not the kind you are referring to.

Theres many reasons, they are a 'team' who are taught well, have good management, good recruitment, good work ethic and a good style of play, producing regular talent. I don't really understand why anyone would think they'd struggle in relation to our disjointed badly run first team of lets face it, mediocre players.

On another note, It doesnt reallly make sense paying for a manure 19 year old when we have BJ who could be doing that job and is one of our own players. BJ is young and inexpereinced we say then stick someone elses young and inexperienced player in there who is no doubt costing more money

Theres many reasons, they are a 'team' who are taught well, have good management, good recruitment, good work ethic and a good style of play, producing regular talent. I don't really understand why anyone would think they'd struggle in relation to our disjointed badly run first team of lets face it, mediocre players.

On another note, It doesnt reallly make sense paying for a manure 19 year old when we have BJ who could be doing that job and is one of our own players. BJ is young and inexpereinced we say then stick someone elses young and inexperienced player in there who is no doubt costing more money

So you'd ask Johnson, who has been playing as an ATTACKING MIDFIELDER/NO 10 for Lincoln (read, minimal defensive responsibility), scoring goals, assisting their attacking play and generally doing very well, for Garner has had 20+ games for Watford this season, and is an DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER.

If you meant Johnson should have taken the place of Krovinovic, fair enough. I happen to think PK has shown some ability in his two games....but each to their own.

Also, one other thing...when Derby played Chorley (who, essentially, play in the "5th" division) in the Fa cup, they were soundly beaten by their illustrious opponents.
This Derby side were made up of the kids, and even against semi-pros were outclassed.
If, for some reason CH lost his marbles and did as you suggested, Forest would probably lost every single game they'd play.

Exactly - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's a doomed strategy.

U23 football is obviously very different to playing League Football - Championship, L1, L2 etc. Lot's of players look excellent at u23 level & below, but fail to meet the rigours of truly competitive games that matter.

We played nice tippy/tappy football under Warburton but were small & weak, losing 19 of 37 games.... the Championship is a physically demanding league and whilst some teams, Brentford notably, play some great football - they also have physicality when needed.

I see there is a link online about Oumar Niasse and Huddersfield. I quite like him as a player, and think he was badly treated at everton. He may not be Ronaldo Luiz but he is a decent player, and from what i heard about his reaction to the way everton treated him made me respect him more. Just dug in at training and tried to prove himself. on a free i would have taken him ahead of Glenn M (no offence Glenn! our kids go to school together!)

We consistently hype our young talent, big how many of them even go on to make it as professional footballers let alone at this level?

The harsh reality is that the majority of them are probably shit just like almost everyone and everything else at this club and we would be getting raped even more every week by filling the first team with them.

Exactly - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's a doomed strategy.

U23 football is obviously very different to playing League Football - Championship, L1, L2 etc. Lot's of players look excellent at u23 level & below, but fail to meet the rigours of truly competitive games that matter.

We played nice tippy/tappy football under Warburton but were small & weak, losing 19 of 37 games.... the Championship is a physically demanding league and whilst some teams, Brentford notably, play some great football - they also have physicality when needed.

Not quite the same, but look at these results from the EFL Trophy on one night, which proves your point, and I guess these teams have better kids than we do. Leicester U21s got through, but lost to Tranmere 4-2 after, and I guess the league teams didn't field their strongest elevens.

ROUND 2N
  • Accrington Stanley3Manchester United U21 2
    FT
  • Port Vale2Wolverhampton Wanderers U21 1
    FT
  • Salford City3Leicester City U21 3
    FTLeicester City U21 win 6-5 on penalties
  • Tranmere Rovers2Manchester City U21 1
    FT
ROUND 2S
  • AFC Wimbledon3Arsenal U21 0
    FT
  • Peterborough United3West Ham United U21 0
    FT
  • Milton Keynes Dons6Norwich City U21 0
    FT

Cafu deal is probably more about the loan player restrictions than anything else... Although I agree the 2 and a half year deal raises question marks. Why we would want Carvalho back is beyond me though. He hasn’t been doing anything useful at Almería has he? Chalk that one off as another signing that made no sense - a record fee for a player who’d only ever played in Benfica’s youth team.

Best work done for me is getting Clough, Guerrero and Darikwa out. Long list of bodies still to shift in the shmmer - Hefele, Bong, Dawson (to join Reid in U23s?), Bachirou, Jenkinson, even Arter if rumours about his attitude are to be believed...

I also worry we’ll get stuck with Da Costa and Carvalho again and find ourselves unable to shift them...

Freeman - massive disappointment and definitely looks overweight at the mo.

Cafu deal is probably more about the loan player restrictions than anything else... Although I agree the 2 and a half year deal raises question marks. Why we would want Carvalho back is beyond me though. He hasn’t been doing anything useful at Almería has he? Chalk that one off as another signing that made no sense - a record fee for a player who’d only ever played in Benfica’s youth team.

Best work done for me is getting Clough, Guerrero and Darikwa out. Long list of bodies still to shift in the shmmer - Hefele, Bong, Dawson (to join Reid in U23s?), Bachirou, Jenkinson, even Arter if rumours about his attitude are to be believed...

I also worry we’ll get stuck with Da Costa and Carvalho again and find ourselves unable to shift them...

Freeman - massive disappointment and definitely looks overweight at the mo.
Forgot about Da Costa, but i think he's doing well in Belgium and should be easy to move to that club, or elsewhere in Europe. Freeman send back now.

So you'd ask Johnson, who has been playing as an ATTACKING MIDFIELDER/NO 10 for Lincoln (read, minimal defensive responsibility), scoring goals, assisting their attacking play and generally doing very well, for Garner has had 20+ games for Watford this season, and is an DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER.

If you meant Johnson should have taken the place of Krovinovic, fair enough. I happen to think PK has shown some ability in his two games....but each to their own.

Also, one other thing...when Derby played Chorley (who, essentially, play in the "5th" division) in the Fa cup, they were soundly beaten by their illustrious opponents.
This Derby side were made up of the kids, and even against semi-pros were outclassed.
If, for some reason CH lost his marbles and did as you suggested, Forest would probably lost every single game they'd play.

I think Chorley were essentially 6th division chap.

Derby are wank.

He inherited a side with no confidence that was haemorrhaging goals, couldn’t score and looked odds on to be relegated.

we still friggin do, thats the very problem, one scrappy win and you think we're safe and look half decent? Been on Pebbles pop?