Jan Transfer Window | Page 12 | Vital Football

Jan Transfer Window

Yeah grabban is ace at heading on defensive corners!

Taylor is a different player, we just haven’t really played to eithers strengths this season

What the fuck has making mistakes defending corners got to do with our attacking capabilities?

Taylor wants a target man to play off and he aint going to get it

How is it that Taylor scored so many goals over the last two seasons then? He scored in 11 in 22 for a Charlton side struggling in the Championship last season. That, in addition to disrupting, would suggest he is quite effective.

Because Charlton played with another forward for him to feed off.

Not many Clubs play with more than one forward these days; Charlton did and managed to get relegated.

Of the Clubs who play with two forwards, you tend to find most of them playing three at the back.

That is something we may be able to facilitate at some point in the future, but to do that we will need capable wing backs, something we do not have.

How is it that Taylor scored so many goals over the last two seasons then? He scored in 11 in 22 for a Charlton side struggling in the Championship last season. That, in addition to disrupting, would suggest he is quite effective.
He is 30 years old and this is only his second season at this level. Having watched him so far this season I can see why.

He obviously hit a hot streak last season and Charlton play differently but for my money he is a good league one striker but a barely average Championship one. We need far better.

He is 30 years old and this is only his second season at this level. Having watched him so far this season I can see why.

He obviously hit a hot streak last season and Charlton play differently but for my money he is a good league one striker but a barely average Championship one. We need far better.

How do you propose we finance the signing of a better one?

That is the difficult part; an established striker coasts the Earth, so that leaves buying one with promise and developing him.

Alternatively, we have youngsters with promise; why not develop them?

No idea as I have no involvement in the clubs finances but the fact remains that we need one.

We either buy, loan or develop our own the same as everyone else would be my guess though...

Would you bring a young striker in to a team that creates one chance every two matches?

That is not remotely accurate, we created 10 chances on Saturday, 14 against Stoke, 14 against Birmingham, 4 at Millwall and 12 against Wednesday; the number of chances we are creating has risen in most games this season.

That is more than we created during last season, and to put those figures into context, achieved at a time when the emphasis has been on shoring up the back four.

And there is no reason why that should not continue and increase; a bit of confidence in the back four might see them defending higher up the pitch, that will allow the team to attack more as a unit.

The good thing about bringing the youngsters through is that they are already playing in a team which is set up exactly like the first team, although they pass the ball and score goals for fun.

In addition to the young forwards like Swann and Taylor, we have Johnson, Fornah and Preston who are out on loan and are all getting very good reviews and Konate who has been outstanding for the U23S

That is not remotely accurate, we created 10 chances on Saturday, 14 against Stoke, 14 against Birmingham, 4 at Millwall and 12 against Wednesday; the number of chances we are creating has risen in most games this season.

That is more than we created during last season, and to put those figures into context, achieved at a time when the emphasis has been on shoring up the back four.

And there is no reason why that should not continue and increase; a bit of confidence in the back four might see them defending higher up the pitch, that will allow the team to attack more as a unit.

The good thing about bringing the youngsters through is that they are already playing in a team which is set up exactly like the first team, although they pass the ball and score goals for fun.

In addition to the young forwards like Swann and Taylor, we have Johnson, Fornah and Preston who are out on loan and are all getting very good reviews and Konate who has been outstanding for the U23S

I wouldn't call chances and shots the same thing.

What makes you think the kids can do it when senior pros making more money per week than these kids have seen in their lives so far can't?

I wouldn't call chances and shots the same thing.

What makes you think the kids can do it when senior pros making more money per week than these kids have seen in their lives so far can't?

That's perfectly true, but a) shots are the only thing there is to refer to, and b) there are also chances which do not result in a shot.

We are definitely retaining more possession of the ball and we are getting more players into the box; one thing which is considerably worse than last season is the play from both full backs, neither of whom can cross the fucking thing.

As for the kids' there is no guarantee any of them will prove good enough and there is only one way to find out.

Johnson looked absolute class at U23 level and has had rave reviews at Lincoln; Konate looks even better.

Danny Preston and Tyrese Fornah have also had very good reviews from Grimsby and Plymouth, and McGuane is starting to play well for Oxford, and then there is Jake Taylor at Scunthorpe, who is also highly thought of.

You could draw a comparison with the Coventry side, who mainly consist of players who are in the same peer group as the youngsters mentioned, and they are holding their own.

If Johnson comes back from Lincoln in this Window, and we reach safety by say March, we could be treated to Will Swann playing with Johnson, Konate and Mighten playing in the three behind him, on the odd occasion.

Now that would be something to look forward to.

That's perfectly true, but a) shots are the only thing there is to refer to, and b) there are also chances which do not result in a shot.

We are definitely retaining more possession of the ball and we are getting more players into the box; one thing which is considerably worse than last season is the play from both full backs, neither of whom can cross the fucking thing.

As for the kids' there is no guarantee any of them will prove good enough and there is only one way to find out.

Johnson looked absolute class at U23 level and has had rave reviews at Lincoln; Konate looks even better.

Danny Preston and Tyrese Fornah have also had very good reviews from Grimsby and Plymouth, and McGuane is starting to play well for Oxford, and then there is Jake Taylor at Scunthorpe, who is also highly thought of.

You could draw a comparison with the Coventry side, who mainly consist of players who are in the same peer group as the youngsters mentioned, and they are holding their own.

If Johnson comes back from Lincoln in this Window, and we reach safety by say March, we could be treated to Will Swann playing with Johnson, Konate and Mighten playing in the three behind him, on the odd occasion.

Now that would be something to look forward to.

Yes. I would rather see a team of kids than a team of *****.

Never fancied the taylor signing.

Hes scored against derby wycombe and Coventry. 3 very poor teams. Obviously service hasn't been great either but he doesnt fill me with confidence.

Never fancied the taylor signing.

Hes scored against derby wycombe and Coventry. 3 very poor teams. Obviously service hasn't been great either but he doesnt fill me with confidence.

I agree Jock, but I am not so certain the poor service is entirely down to the players around him.

Grabban can turn a bad or indifferent pass into a good one, something Taylor cannot do.

Taylor appears reluctant to move away from his marker; he does not always have to run the channels, he can step a few paces deeper, lay the ball off and move again; the problem is when he does get the ball and attempts to lay it off it is rarely to one of our players; it is as though he is using a different play book at times.

His first priority should be to strengthen up so he is not bullied so easily.

I’m confused. In the televised games that I’ve seen (admittedly earlier in the season; I haven’t bothered to pay to watch via iFollow as I don’t think it’s good value) Taylor looked like an asset: certainly working hard, looking quite dangerous and (in my view) holding up the ball relatively well given the lack of support.

Have his performances really dropped off since then? The radio commentary has been generally complimentary about his work rate.

I would certainly have Grabban as first choice but Taylor is a player most teams in this division would be glad to have.

It’s madness if we are writing off players on the basis of a handful of games. That surely doesn’t do anything other than fuel the cycle of shipping a new batch of players in every six months, bombing a few of the previous batch out, leading to no team cohesion.

I’m confused. In the televised games that I’ve seen (admittedly earlier in the season; I haven’t bothered to pay to watch via iFollow as I don’t think it’s good value) Taylor looked like an asset: certainly working hard, looking quite dangerous and (in my view) holding up the ball relatively well given the lack of support.

Have his performances really dropped off since then? The radio commentary has been generally complimentary about his work rate.

I would certainly have Grabban as first choice but Taylor is a player most teams in this division would be glad to have.

It’s madness if we are writing off players on the basis of a handful of games. That surely doesn’t do anything other than fuel the cycle of shipping a new batch of players in every six months, bombing a few of the previous batch out, leading to no team cohesion.

If we've signed them, there's probably an 80% chance that they're shit anyway.

I agree I dont sway to the opinion however his streak with charlton was a purple patch similar to oliver burke here.

Grabban hasn't exactly been doing a lot apart from that goal against Wednesday and pen which he almost fluffed, we've been playing more on the front foot the balls been in and around the opponent's box and lot more but Grabban has spent more time outside the box. I'd be mixing it up more and both should be getting a start and the other 30 minutes, keep them both relatively fresh. Taylor's maybe not a polished but he offers something different, I'd also feel far less stressed if we get a pen and he's on it.

OH...BLOODY HELL... could have sworn I’d clicked on the transfer thread...not the Grabban :toot::toot:

taylor looks far more threat than grabz and works harder. neither of them are lone strikers. we need to play 2 strikers simple as that