Jamie Jones | Vital Football

Jamie Jones

loudmouthblue

Vital Football Hero
I have never made a secret of my belief that Jones is a poor keeper, but after reading this week's Wigan Observer article about him I am flabbergasted , I only wish I could take back all of the things I said, please try to read the article not sure if it is online, Jamie really is a proper 'Captain Fantastic' and I apologise for any criticism I have ever made of the lad.

I would like everyone who donated money to the supporters club and plan having a say in how it is to be spent, please read what happened with Jamie and his Mum and Dad in their quest to help save us from going under and their subsequent dealings with the administrators, then join me in petitioning the supporters club to use the fans money to engage a legal team and sue the arse out of begbies and their seedy directors.

Last edited:
I haven't changed my opinion of Jamie because of that article...I thought the world of him before and still do now. Some things in life are worth more than a glove on a shot or cross, things that stay with you forever like friendship and loyalty and decency. Well done young man.

PS...I don't usually click a like on posts even if I do like them but that opening post of this thread gets one.

Krasner, Ridsdale link could explain why they sold the facility for peanuts. Not surprised at all. Keep Ridsdale in Hemmings good books.
The whole lot of what went on from the moment we were put into admin and the following months ranks as bas as the months prior to bey put into admin.
But we are Latics and we came through and I can see us with the new owners looking over our shoulders as we overtake all those who have ripped us off and done us wrong.

Jones makes no attempt to hide his disdain at the administrators’ conduct.
“I had discussions with a couple of the admins, and they were horrendous in every aspect of it,” he added.

I have never made a secret of my belief that Jones is a poor keeper, but after reading this week's Wigan Observer article about him, I am flabbergasted, I only wish I could take back all the things I said, please try to read the article not sure if it is online, Jamie really is a proper 'Captain Fantastic' and I apologize for any criticism I have ever made of the lad.

I would like everyone who donated money to the supporters club and plan having a say in how it is to be spent, please read what happened with Jamie and his Mum and Dad in their quest to help save us from going under and their subsequent dealings with the administrators, then join me in petitioning the supporters club to use the fan's money to engage a legal team and sue the arse out of begbies and their seedy directors.

Most of your criticism of his goalkeeping was correct though and as much as I admire Jamie and his family for their efforts to save us we cannot let sentiment cloud the issue that we need a new keeper. I would be more than happy to see him as a No2 but not the No1.

Admin is never nice or easy and the administrators have to make unpopular decisions but you accept that - but the more we hear about the how admin conducted their business the more it stinks. I will stop short of saying what i really think of them.

But fair play to Jamie Jones and his family for trying to help. Regardless of what any of us think of his ability on the field, he comes across as a genuine guy who's heart is really in the club.

Lovely gesture, great bloke and family. Good piece as well from the paper, rare I say that.

Crap keeper though and not a number one for a promotion chasing L1 side. Sorry

Top guy. I've said that all along.

And I think some of the criticism of his abilities on the pitch are overly harsh. He's had a few howlers, no doubt about that, but he's also made some phenomenal saves and saved our bacon several times. We stayed up by one point, and Jamie is worth at least six points by making saves that kept us ahead, and that's what I can remember just off the top of my head. It's easy to remember mistakes where goals are conceded, but saves aren't as well remembered since they don't ostensibly affect the outcome of the game in that the scoreline doesn't change. In that sense, keepers are often victims of more criticism than they actually deserve, and Jamie is a prize example.

He's no Peter Schmeichel, no-one in their right mind is saying that, but he's also nowhere near as bad as some people make out. He's a good league one level keeper. If he could iron out most of the silly mistakes, he'd be an excellent League One goalkeeper.

More than that, though, he's invested himself in the club. From selling his L1 winner's medal early doors to being captain through a torrid season and never letting his head drop, encouraging the other lads, and always remained (at least outwardly) positive. His contribution to keeping us up last season is woefully underestimated imho.

Most of your criticism of his goalkeeping was correct though and as much as I admire Jamie and his family for their efforts to save us we cannot let sentiment cloud the issue that we need a new keeper. I would be more than happy to see him as a No2 but not the No1.
The gist of the topic is not about Jamie Jones as a player but as a very decent human being who do not want to see the Club go into liquidation. Respect seems to be missing there.

Was there really any need for him to come out and say this now?

Everyone knew that the admins were a shower of shit, thanks for trying to help Jamie but its going to take more than that to get the majority of fans to want you as first choice between the sticks, back up keeper at best.

Was there really any need for him to come out and say this now?

Everyone knew that the admins were a shower of shit, thanks for trying to help Jamie but its going to take more than that to get the majority of fans to want you as first choice between the sticks, back up keeper at best.
Was there really any need for you to post this?

Yes definitely, because its bob on.

Decent chap and I hope he remains with the club ala Mike Pollitt did.

I must admit I wondered about the timing and the content of the article.
If you are going to interview him , why didnt the journalist ask and print his reply to what we all really want to know:
The status of his contract offer and does he expect to remain first choice.