James Caton: I am loving having the freedom to play my own game with Lincoln City | Vital Football

James Caton: I am loving having the freedom to play my own game with Lincoln City

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
"James Caton is revelling in his time at Lincoln City after revealing manager Chris Moyses has given him the freedom he had been craving.

The winger arrived from Shrewsbury Town in the January on loan until the end of the season and has made an immediate impact for the Imps.

In the four games he has featured in so far, City have won three, with Caton netting three times along the way."

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/James-Caton-loving-having-freedom-play-game/story-28784574-detail/story.html

I wonder what the recall notice is on his loan. He's playing well and Shrewsbury aren't, if he keeps banging in the goals we may lose him.

Hope we can keep him but think we will be lucky to do so. Anyone know what his Shrewsbury contract is ?

Stevie_imp - 24/2/2016 18:50

Hope we can keep him but think we will be lucky to do so. Anyone know what his Shrewsbury contract is ?
He is on a two-year deal that runs out in June 2016.

Signed 2 year deal June 2014. Given he has been loaned umpteen times, you might assume he hasn't been extended beyond that.
Think he's unlikely to remain with us, unless he really is enjoying it! Better offers than us if he keeps current form

Given we appear to be heading to have a better budget next year, maybe we have a chance, if he knows he will be playing and enjoys it here

Red Wimp - 24/2/2016 20:30

Given we appear to be heading to have a better budget next year, maybe we have a chance, if he knows he will be playing and enjoys it here

My understanding is that we are going to try. Whether we will be successful is another matter.

oldimpsfan - 24/2/2016 23:00

My understanding is that we are going to try. Whether we will be successful is another matter.
Why would we not?

Steve O'Dare - 25/2/2016 07:40

oldimpsfan - 24/2/2016 23:00

Why would we not?

Agreed. Lets throw an offer at him whilst he's enjoying it here. You never know.

Just to be a bit realistic, a few weeks ago he would be wondering if his next loan might be Gainsborough or Boston. He hasn't turned into Messi overnight, there isn't going to be a queue of clubs lining up to sign a young winger because he's had a couple of good games for us. Let's see how he fairs against a few better teams away from home when we are up against it. I will refer judgement until then.

Johnolbe is right. He has made just 1 full appearance for Shrewsbury plus 3 as a substitute in the 2 years he has been there. He has been out on loan 4 times in the last year and his contract expires in June. I might be making an unfair assumption here, but that sounds more like they are trying to find a permanent home for him rather than trying to get him game time for their own benefit. They have had two years in which to form an opinion of him from the perspective of their own needs, and don't forget they are two divisions higher than us. A player who stands out in the National League may well be ineffective in L1.

So, I would suggest he is available permanently as far as they are concerned regardless of what he does between now and the end of the season. With the investment we are now enjoying, there should be no problem offering him decent terms. So, the key questions would appear to be:

a) Would he see Lincoln as a good move on a permanent basis?
b) If he continues to play well between now and the end of the season, will other clubs come in for him with better offers (the answer to this is probably yes)?

"b) If he continues to play well between now and the end of the season, will other clubs come in for him with better offers (the answer to this is probably yes)?"

I imagine Barrow-boy Cox will come a-calling.

:pointy:

Unless he gets an offer he can't refuse I think the major decider for him is how much he's enjoying his football & the role he's been allowed to play. The rest is down to Shrewsbury probably & if we make him an offer, but I agree it will take a few more games yet to see just how good he is.

Scotimp - 25/2/2016 11:49

Johnolbe is right. He has made just 1 full appearance for Shrewsbury plus 3 as a substitute in the 2 years he has been there. He has been out on loan 4 times in the last year and his contract expires in June. I might be making an unfair assumption here, but that sounds more like they are trying to find a permanent home for him rather than trying to get him game time for their own benefit. They have had two years in which to form an opinion of him from the perspective of their own needs, and don't forget they are two divisions higher than us. A player who stands out in the National League may well be ineffective in L1.

So, I would suggest he is available permanently as far as they are concerned regardless of what he does between now and the end of the season. With the investment we are now enjoying, there should be no problem offering him decent terms. So, the key questions would appear to be:

a) Would he see Lincoln as a good move on a permanent basis?
b) If he continues to play well between now and the end of the season, will other clubs come in for him with better offers (the answer to this is probably yes)?
All very well but if we don't ask then we will not find out.

From what I have seen in various highlights packages, he looks a cracking player. I would be very surprised if Moyses & Co haven't already sounded him out about a permanent move, but they tend to play these things down to avoid attracting unwanted attention from elsewhere (e.g. our six-fingered friends from Skunk Park). But if he keeps scoring goals and winning matches, the sooner we get him signed up the better. I would fear losing him if we wait for the end of the season.