Jake Daniels | Vital Football

Jake Daniels

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
Well done Jake - very brave for such a young man.

A 17-year-old player has come out, becoming the only openly gay male professional footballer in Britain.

Blackpool forward Jake Daniels said he has received "amazing support" from his teammates after telling them about his sexuality.

He is the first professional player in British men's football to come out publicly since Justin Fashanu.

In an interview with Sky Sports News, he said he felt ready to "be myself" after "such a long time of lying" about who he is.

The striker said he originally felt the need to hide his sexuality to become a professional footballer and wait until he was retired to come out.

"But I just knew that was just such a long time of just lying and not being able to have what I want," he said.

Blackpool's hot prospect, who has scored 30 goals for the under-19s this season, signed a professional contract with the club in February.

He made his first team debut earlier this month on the last day of the season, and played a major role in the team's run to the quarter-finals of the FA Youth Cup, scoring against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

On coming out, he said: "For a long time I've thought I would have to hide my truth because I wanted to be, and now I am, a professional footballer. I asked myself if I should wait until I've retired to come out. No other player in the professional game here is out.

"However, I knew that would lead to a long time of lying and not being able to be myself or lead the life that I want to.

"Since I've come out to my family, my club and my teammates, that period of overthinking everything and the stress it created has gone. It was impacting my mental health.

"Now I am just confident and happy to be myself finally."

Daniels said he knew he was gay at around age five or six, and that he initially believed that football and being gay didn't mix.

"So all the way through my life I was like, 'It's fine, you'll get a girlfriend when you're older and you'll change and it'll be fine'."

And as you do get older you realise you just can't… and it's just something you won't be able to do.

"I've had girlfriends in the past to try and make all my mates think I'm straight, and it was just a massive cover-up. So it has been a struggle."

Daniels said that hiding who he really was had an impact on his mental health as he dealt with "overthinking and stress".

But he says now "it is all gone and I'm confident and happy to be myself, finally".

Teammates have shown 'amazing support'

The young footballer said he has received "amazing" support from his family, friends and Blackpool FC.

Daniels said that when he first told his teammates, they were "kind of shocked in a way", and asked why he didn't tell them earlier.

"The captain was one of the main people I told and he was just asking loads of questions about it and was like 'I'm so proud of you'."

He added: "Everyone has been so supportive and so proud of me and it just shows what a bond we have as a team and everyone is like a family to each other."

Daniels said he first came out to his mother and sister, who he lives with.

Image:Jake Daniels has scored 30 goals for Blackpool's under-19s team this season

He said: "Then we told my whole family and at this point I was quite scared because I didn't know how the older generation might react.

"I needn't have worried. I've had so many messages saying, 'we are proud and we are supportive'. It's been amazing. I couldn't have wished for it to go better.

"The day after I told my mum and sister, we played Accrington [in an under-18s fixture] and I scored four goals, so it just shows how much of a weight off the shoulders and what a massive relief it was."

Prime Minister Boris Johnson congratulated Daniels on his "huge courage to come out".

He said: "Thank you for your bravery Jake, it would have taken huge courage to come out and you will be an inspiration to many both on and off the pitch."

Daniels has had a whirlwind 12 months, admitting it's been "a crazy year".

"Everything has kind of happened at once but it feels right. I came into this year just like, 'I need to prove myself, I need to smash it'... I think I have".

He said: "Thank you for your bravery Jake, it would have taken huge courage to come out and you will be an inspiration to many both on and off the pitch."

Daniels has had a whirlwind 12 months, admitting it's been "a crazy year".

"Everything has kind of happened at once but it feels right. I came into this year just like, 'I need to prove myself, I need to smash it'... I think I have".

Meanwhile, Adelaide United player Josh Cavallo last year became the only openly gay professional top-flight men's footballer in the world.

Certainly been a news item.of the day.
Featured on both the beebs evening and night main time news.
Boris tweeting his support amongst others.

In an age where it shouldn't matter what sexuality you are I've no doubt there will be plenty of abuse aimed his way at future matches, one thing we as fans, and the club needs to ensure is that we support him every step of the way.

Last edited:
Certainly been a news item.of the day.
Featured on both the beebs evening and night main time news.
Boris tweeting his support amongst others.

In an age where it shouldn't matter what sexuality you are I've no doubt there will be plenty of abuse aimed his way at future matches, one thing we as fans, and the club needs to ensure is that we support him every step of the way.

Even mentioned on our Central Queensland radio news this afternoon.

FA ban Looming, will probably be 4games....

Blackpool defender Marvin Ekpiteta is being investigated by the FA for historic tweets which emerged following Jake Daniels decision to come out as gay.

The 26-year-old made the homophobic remarks as a 17-year-old and took to social media on Tuesday night to apologise for his actions. His teammate Daniels became the first openly gay active professional footballer since Justin Fashanu in 1990.

Blackpool have been praised for the manner in which they have dealt with Daniels' situation, fostering an environment where the player felt comfortable enough to share his truth. Likewise, the young striker himself has received support throughout the footballing world from the likes of England captain Harry Kane and Manchester United's David De Gea.

Ekpiteta deleted the tweets on his account shortly after they surfaced with one showing three clapping emojis in support of the news that Nigeria had outlawed gay marriage, whilst another criticised the number of gay characters in TV soap Hollyoaks. The decade-old remarks were something which the defender felt didn't represent his character now.

"Today, social media posts I made in 2012 and 2013 have been highlighted," Ekpiteta said in a statement.

"I want to wholeheartedly apologise for the offensive and completely inappropriate language I used and for the sentiments I expressed. As a footballer, and in the years spent in work before I became a professional footballer, I've been fortunate to have worked with a wide and diverse range of people. Throughout this period, I have developed and grown as a person.

Today, social media posts I made in 2012 and 2013 have been highlighted," Ekpiteta said in a statement.

"I want to wholeheartedly apologise for the offensive and completely inappropriate language I used and for the sentiments I expressed. As a footballer, and in the years spent in work before I became a professional footballer, I've been fortunate to have worked with a wide and diverse range of people. Throughout this period, I have developed and grown as a person.

"Yesterday, I was proud of Jake and all involved at Blackpool FC for what is a hugely positive moment for football as a whole. I am embarrassed by the comments I made as a 17-year-old, nearly a decade ago, which do not in any way reflect the values I hold now or the beliefs I have as a person or as a teammate.

"Football needs to be a place where everyone can feel free to be true to themselves, and I am upset that the comments I previously made suggest otherwise. I take full responsibility for these posts, and I am sorry."

An FA Spokesperson said: "We are aware of the comments made on social media and will be investigating the matter."

Do I have some sympathy for (what are clearly inappropriate) tweets sent by a teenager that have resurfaced nearly a decade later? Yes.

Do I have ANY sympathy for a professional footballer who still had those tweets up on his account in this era? Absolutely not.

Sorry to go against the trend, I know Marv is our best player but football is about 30 years behind society and he needs to be similarly punished as others have. Unfortunately it will be our loss more than his own

Sorry to go against the trend, I know Marv is our best player but football is about 30 years behind society and he needs to be similarly punished as others have. Unfortunately it will be our loss more than his own
Surely those two tweets shown are opinions not abuse ?

As A former Claremont sec.mod lad (now Warbreck hill boys) >We always thought that lot at Mongomery were a load of !"£$%^ anyway.MichaelP

What happened in the 50s, 60s, 70s and part of the 80s is history. Post 2000 people should be far more enlightened/educated. It's my opinion and I accept I am in the minority of one. To be clear I would think most of my thoughts expressed or otherwise as a teenager are now wholly inappropriate and ignorant so if you want you can call me a hypocrite.

BST letter to the EFL.

LETTER FROM BLACKPOOL SUPPORTERS TRUST TO DEBBIE HEWITT (CHAIR, FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION)

Dear Ms Hewitt

I am writing on behalf of the Blackpool Supporters Trust, following recent Press speculation that suggests that the FA is planning to investigate historic Tweets issued by Blackpool player Marvin Ekpiteta.

In view of the wider interest in the subject matter, this is an open letter. We will be sharing it with a range of contacts at Blackpool Football Club, the Football Supporters Association (FSA) and with members of the Football Press and others.

We should acknowledge at the outset that we understand that this is difficult territory for you. There have been opportunities in the past for the FA to take a stance on homophobia, but these have not been taken. We do understand that taking on powerful vested interests within FIFA and in the Middle East (for example) is not something that can be done easily, or lightly.

That said, if the Press speculation we
we have read is accurate, then we have to say that in our view Marvin Ekpiteta is an easy and convenient target.

We have noted suggestions that your interest has been piqued by revelations in a UK tabloid newspaper. If true, this in itself is disappointing. At a time when Jake Daniels has managed to inspire a warm and generous response up and down the country, we are sure that we are not alone in wondering about the motivations of the newspaper involved. The material that they have published seems calculated to foment discord between the two players in particular, and within our football club in general.

If this is claimed to be to meet a wider public interest, we are struggling to see what that public interest is. The material in question is over ten years old ; Marvin has issued a mea culpa and Jake has not only accepted that apology in good faith., but has endorsed Marvin as a valued work colleague. We are not sure therefore what purpose an investigation on these narrow grounds would serve, although we accept that it is ultimately for you to decide.

You are however the pre-eminent body managing English football and as such, in our view, you are under no obligation to conduct your enquiries merely to satisfy the prurient curiosity of the newspaper in question. We also feel that your leadership role is such that you should be shaping and leading events in matters such as this, and not merely responding to them. If an enquiry is to take place, we hope that you will be setting the terms of reference for it, rather than taking them from
hope that you will:

• look carefully at what it is about the culture and working environment at Blackpool FC that gave Jake the confidence to speak out as he did

• assess to what extent there is learning and good practice to be taken from this that other clubs might usefully adapt for their own purposes

• share what you learn with the DCMS, to inform the White Paper that they are currently preparing as part of the fan led review (FLR) process

We would be the first to acknowledge the successes that the FA has had in some parts of the equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) sphere. Great progress has been made on racism, and the Women’s game is now flourishing.

But homophobia remains a difficult issue, and we would suggest to you that the fact that Jake Daniels’ case has been so newsworthy, and crossed over from sport into wider social awareness, demonstrates that there is still a great deal to be done.

In that spirit, we hope that any further investigatory work you do with and at Blackpool FC is done from a listening and learning perspective, rather than a disciplinary one. We also hope that you will accept that in this instance, it is for the FA to do its fair share of the listening and the learning, and to share it as widely as possible.

Blackpool Supporters Trust
May 2022