Jacob Rees Mogg | Vital Football

Jacob Rees Mogg

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
I just stumbled on this. I hadn't seen it since it first aired and had completely forgotten about it. I do remember seeing it at the time but I don't think I recognised Rees Mogg back then (though I suspect few would have).

To be fair to him, he doesn't come out of it looking too bad. Considering...

I wonder, do people just hate jacob rees mog because he looks a bit funny, is posh, and is a tory? Are his polocies/views that much worse than many other tories?

Last edited:
Met him a couple of times, very funny and surprisingly down to earth bloke when not having to worry about being quoted out of context (as politicians seem to be frequently)
I'd have no problem with him as PM especially when you look at the alternatives.?

He used to amuse me when he was on panel shows as a sort of token toff. But he just irritates me now as he has shown he does not represent anyone but himself and cannot answer a straight question with a straight answer.

Generally he has cultivated a posh and polite persona but it's slipped a few times recently. Scratch a little deeper and you find that he is right over on the far right of the tory party and teetering off. Check out his father's ramblings about the sovreign individual and disaster capitalism, ideas which Jacob shares. He's neither pleasant, nor especially clever but he is very rich and privileged and gets a lot of free publicity.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/09/mystic-mogg-jacob-rees-mogg-willam-pre

Those who don't like The Guardian can find this stuff all over if so minded.

I wonder, do people just hate jacob rees mog because he looks a bit funny, is posh, and is a tory? Are his polocies/views that much worse than many other tories?
He is viewed by some as an anachronism, which as you suggest is somewhat unfair. The main criticism being that he has advocated a no-deal Brexit while at the same time has moved a big chunk of his business to the Republic of Ireland in order to enjoy continued benefits of EU membership.

Generally he has cultivated a posh and polite persona but it's slipped a few times recently. Scratch a little deeper and you find that he is right over on the far right of the tory party and teetering off. Check out his father's ramblings about the sovreign individual and disaster capitalism, ideas which Jacob shares. He's neither pleasant, nor especially clever but he is very rich and privileged and gets a lot of free publicity.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/09/mystic-mogg-jacob-rees-mogg-willam-pre

Those who don't like The Guardian can find this stuff all over if so minded.
This "disaster capitalism" is what these ERG loons are longing for. Sadly, some people don't realise what their real motives are and believe that they "love this country" (quote from one of my mates who was then shocked to hear about Mogg's hedge funds).

Interesting quotes from the President of the CBI today re a no deal Brexit. He would have no idea what he is talking about though, I suppose.

Interesting interpretation of Hedge Funds. His money, eh?

Strange but I think the fund described is administered by a firm in which he is a partner or director and he does not make investment decisions.

I still own 500 Gillingham shares so I regularly ring up Scally to tell him he is not to sign any EU players. Tomas somehow slipped through the net though. I may sue Scally.

Arrogant, condescending, looks down on people, believes he's always right.
no not JRM, just a poster on this board.
LOL. WK is the type who would tell Bill Gates where he went wrong. You don't wanna be doing it like that, you wanna be doing it like this.

Policy-wise, and in terms of his voting record, Mogg is firmly on the far-right, properly horrible wing of the Conservative party.

If I met him in person, I don't doubt that I'd find him utterly delightful, polite and funny as well. But that's the whole point of the best private education that money can buy: the ability to charmingly bullshit your way through life with no fear of any consequences, while getting other, thicker people to do the dirty work for you.

Like Johnson, Mogg has deliberatly created a ludicrous P.G. Wodehouse character for himself that will get him a chance to act the goat on Have I Got News For You and get "total ledge" status, knowing that the by now completely Torified BBC is only too happy to help.

**** in twat's clothing is the technical term for that strategy.

Following his stint as Foreign Secretary, Johnson is currently a busted flush. Rees-Mogg is following the same path but unlike Johnson he's not a complete cynic, and actually believes in some of the horrible shit that he's peddling.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm saying is: don't look at the personality, look at the policies. The best and most effective politicians have often been the ones who are the least "clubbable".

JRM is no doubt a twat, but Torified BBC??? Fuck me, you have been outside the UK too long. Even I would admit that the beeb is left swinging and massively anti brexit. They give airtime to JRM and others through gritted teeth. Maitliss on Newsnight last week virtually spat on him.

I can watch the BBC by fair means or foul, and it's changed beyond measure since I left the country, cowed by decades of the right piling on it for being too "left-wing".

The BBC has never, ever at any point in its history been left-wing. It has always been fundamentally pro-establishment. A good example of this is the constant fawning over the Royal Family, and always towing the line of the government of the day.

What it has been - and what some people confuse with being left wing - is socially liberal. That means having black newsreaders, gay presenters, disabled presenters, equal numbers of women presenters and so on. That's not in itself left-wing. There are plenty of people in the Conservative party who are happy with that. Indeed, there are also a fair few left-wing people who are social bigots.

But of course this got twisted by politicians and journalists acting in bad faith to mean that the BBC is "left-wing", and the lie has been repeated so often as to become a truism, and the cowards and placemen in charge of the organisation have caved in to the extent that BBC news department is now almost entirely run by people who are or have been members of the Conservative party.

On top of this, there's also the deliberate conflation of balance (giving equal airtime to two sides of an unproven argument) and equivalence (giving equal airtime to facts and fiction) which the BBC has been constantly caught doing. Look at the guest lists for Question Time if you have any doubt about that.

The BBC has always had a massive hard-on for Farage, and he was on Question Time practically every bloody week. I think I'm right in saying he's been on there more than anyone else. And never mind the way they recruit the audience members they invite to speak. Even now, half of every BBC news bulletin consists of vox pops from angry Brexit voters in Boston.

How on earth can you say that the BBC is anti-Brexit? I'd say they were largely responsible for causing it.

Last edited: