jacob Mellis | Vital Football

jacob Mellis

I know little about football contracts but I notice that a number of players have been sumarily dismissed in the last couple of years. I expect that some behaviours can now trigger instant dismissal. Wikipedia pages can look grim but numbers of footballers have more against them over 8 years than Mellis. We haven't been aware of any serious breaches of discipline under Evans and Raynor, which suggests that they know how to deal with such matters.

Evans was obviouisly keen so must rate him. Welcome aboard.

I'm with Bromley on this one. Looks well dodgy. Another Marlon King? No thanks. Don't care how talented he is or the fact that other footballers/people behave like him.

Hope I'm priven wrong. At least Evans is the sort of manager who might straighten him out.

Really pleased with the Medley signing.

Really? I don't think they could be much worse, have you read what he has been involved in? Sounds pretty serious to me. Someone who knocks women about is not the kind of player I want at Gillingham personally but each to their own. Also it's concerning the other incident he was mixed up in happened this year so not long ago at all, it's not like he's even learning his lesson is it?

I hope Evans and Raynor sort him out as he obviously has some talent and have told him if he fcks about again then he's out the door.

Buzzing about the Medley signing by contrast, sounds a brilliant coup for us.

Two things - without knowing all the details, the "knocks women about" comment is potentially a bit harsh. The Wikipedia info you posted states they both accepted police cautions for common assault, so (without in any way condoning hitting women), it doesn't sound like he's a woman-beater, it sounds like they've had a domestic.

And for the 2nd incident, what happened to innocent until proven guilty? His mate pleaded guilty, Mellis pleaded not guilty. If he's found guilty in November, sure, throw the book at him, but until then, shouldn't we give him the benefit of the doubt?

I've never heard of the lad, but trust Evans that he's the right man for us. I'm not fussed about his record off of the pitch as long he performs for the team - in the same way I was one of the few advocates for Evans when we got him as, for me, as I could easily forgive his reputation and previous run-ins with us, given the prospect that we were getting a top manager at our level who would give our team the kick up the arse we have needed for a long-time and the hairdryer treatment both opponents and match officials have warranted for even longer.

Clearly has a short temper but the account of the 2012 incident looks like six of one and half a dozen of the other if the girlfriend was also charged. The 2020 incident looks like it could be similar to the Ben Stokes charge, for which he claimed mitigating circumstances:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41798404

Would you have Stokes chucked out of the England cricket team for good?

Mellis admitted common assault so sounds like he does hit women yeah.

Not knowing exactly what is meant by "common assault", I've just looked it up. Apparently it's when "one person causes another to apprehend or fear that force is about to be used to cause some degree of personal contact and possible injury" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_assault). So nothing to say he actually even hit her.

The Chelsea incident was stupid, sure, but it sounds like a prank that went too far.

As for the second incident, even if he wasn't violent the fact he's hanging about with a lad that got done for GBH doesn't bode well.

Seriously? If we're going to start condemning footballers for hanging around with unsavoury characters, there's going to be a lot of players we'll want to avoid.

Surely you must think he sounds a bit dodgy from his track record? I know he's now a Gillingham player but we can admit it.

So far against him (proven) he's got one prank which went too far, and one incident which sounds like a domestic in which both parties have a share of the blame.

If (and it's a big "if") he's found guilty of the incident from January this year, then yes, I'd agree that questions need to be asked about whether he should continue playing for us (and if it ends with a jail sentence I'd hope the club have got some kind of clause in his contract allowing us to terminate it immediately). In the meantime, though, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Looking at the dates, I assume he must've played under Evans at Mansfield, so Evans must know a bit about his character.

Well chuffed with this signing. Very good player. Saw a bit of him a couple seasons ago when he was at Mansfield. Moving back down south is probably just what is needed in his personal life with a no nonsense management team that already know him.
I can see a team of the Pulis era being built here. A good mix of players but all tall, strong, tenacious and should put the fear of god into the opposition straight from the off.
Excited for the season to start!

Not knowing exactly what is meant by "common assault", I've just looked it up. Apparently it's when "one person causes another to apprehend or fear that force is about to be used to cause some degree of personal contact and possible injury" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_assault). So nothing to say he actually even hit her.

The Chelsea incident was stupid, sure, but it sounds like a prank that went too far.

Seriously? If we're going to start condemning footballers for hanging around with unsavoury characters, there's going to be a lot of players we'll want to avoid.
Common assault in these circumstances could be as low as grabbing a wrist to avoid being struck or a light push. We'll never know but a wife beater would be someone who has actually punched his wife, probablycausing injury. In the current climate, if that had happened, there's little doubt he'd have been charged with ABH.
Given how many people gave Marlon a second chance after being nicked, I'm sure he'll be given the same chance so kong as this latest charge amounts to nothing.
As mentioned above, I'm sure there'll be a get out clause should he be found guilty.

Common assault in these circumstances could be as low as grabbing a wrist to avoid being struck or a light push. We'll never know but a wife beater would be someone who has actually punched his wife, probablycausing injury. In the current climate, if that had happened, there's little doubt he'd have been charged with ABH.
Given how many people gave Marlon a second chance after being nicked, I'm sure he'll be given the same chance so kong as this latest charge amounts to nothing.
As mentioned above, I'm sure there'll be a get out clause should he be found guilty.

Let's hope the only thing he's guilty of , is being part of a balanced , hard working side and scoring memorable goals 👍

As Antgill mentioned, we are building a very big strong side here. 3 of our 4 signings so far are 6ft plenty. Add Big Jon Akinde in there. I’m glad I’m not playing against us....