Jack Tucker | Page 8 | Vital Football

Jack Tucker

Jake Clarke-Salter moved from Chelsea to QPR yesterday, 24 and played twice for Chelsea. He's had some loan experience but will have cost Chelsea a tidy sum to develop. Jack's 22 and a well heeled championship side might be happy to pass on paying upt to £750K plus salary now in favour of watching him play for a more technical team to see if it's worth paying £1 to £1.5M in 12 to 18 months, probably cheaper all things considered.

I`ve no doubt that Jack is easily good enough to play in the Championship. However, I agree with Jogills in that MK Dons is a club with a strong financial profile and they`ll be competing to win L1 in 22/23.

Good luck, Jack. Wish you all the very best.

Hope you are right Lancs because the odds on MK winning league one is the same odds on Gills winning league two 👍👍👍

That’s true, but I reckon this is where bargaining comes into play. We may get £500k in October or we can get £400k by next year, but with £250k immediately. Worth thinking about taking the hit so we can loosen the belt a bit. I’m not expecting us to shell out all of it, and not expecting transfer fees, but it’s some breathing room for us.

The player swap is an interesting one too, and could be along the same lines, but doesn’t mean we’ll get a shit player.
I think we are on the same page .There are clearly some players who might not get a look in at MK Dons who could do well for us perhaps a loan free of charge or a permanent deal .
I think we have a strong bargaining position in the end if Harris doesn't want the player or players we go to tribunal a part swap deal could add money to the budget allowing us to get better players now or bring in players who have potential to be first teamers for us and move higher in future.
Yes there are lots of free transfers available and some are good players. But this is a opportunity to talk to players perhaps who are not on the open market some of which will not play if they stay put.
Immediate cash deal plus a player or two that Harris wants could be a great deal and the only way Harris might get real money to spend.

That’s true, but I reckon this is where bargaining comes into play. We may get £500k in October or we can get £400k by next year, but with £250k immediately. Worth thinking about taking the hit so we can loosen the belt a bit. I’m not expecting us to shell out all of it, and not expecting transfer fees, but it’s some breathing room for us.

The player swap is an interesting one too, and could be along the same lines, but doesn’t mean we’ll get a shit player.

you can insist on £500k in October and use a factoring firm to access the funds in advance.

my initial reaction was that he could have done better than MK but the posts on here have changed my mind. He’s going to a team where he will play regularly, which at this stage of his career is more important than a few extra quid and sitting on the bench at a championship club

you can insist on £500k in October and use a factoring firm to access the funds in advance.

my initial reaction was that he could have done better than MK but the posts on here have changed my mind. He’s going to a team where he will play regularly, which at this stage of his career is more important than a few extra quid and sitting on the bench at a championship club
Agreed he will play not sure he would have he moved to the championship. He would probably of had to wait for a injury or suspension to get his chance.There is a big jump now and I am not sure other than a weaker side would he have walked straight into a top ten side?

This article from the tribunal says we had a 20% sell on fee included in the deal.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/amp/egan-brentford-gills-fee-tribunal-116924/

Interesting reading.

Now, John Egan is/was probably a better player than Jack. But I’m not sure that is even taken into consideration by a tribunal. Not mentioned in that previous article about the prem player.

John was a year or 2 older when he left and had only been “developed” here for 2 years. That is definitely a consideration. Jack is younger and been developed by us for 10 years +. So more potential. There has also been reported interest from multiple clubs (hopefully demonstrable offers). Salary offered is a factor and I would expect Jack has been offered a big wage by us and a very big wage by MK. Especially if he was wanted by Charlton, Reading, Swansea etc. Doubt he’d go to MK for a lower wage.

We wanted £1mill, Brentford offered £200k raised to £300k and the tribunal settled between.

It says we got £400k plus another £100k for 80 apps and then 20% sell on. That’s pretty decent and it would be nice if we could get close to that for Jack 👍

I bet PS is putting the John Egan situation to MK in his discussions.

Last edited:
Interesting reading.

Now, John Egan is/was probably a better player than Jack. But I’m not sure that is even taken into consideration by a tribunal. Not mentioned in that previous article about the prem player.

John was a year or 2 older when he left and had only been “developed” here for 2 years. That is definitely a consideration. Jack is younger and been developed by us for 10 years +. So more potential. There has also been reported interest from multiple clubs (hopefully demonstrable offers). Salary offered is a factor and I would expect Jack has been offered a big wage by us and a very big wage by MK. Especially if he was wanted by Charlton, Reading, Swansea etc. Doubt he’d go to MK for a lower wage.

We wanted £1mill, Brentford offered £200k raised to £300k and the tribunal settled between.

It says we got £400k plus another £100k for 80 apps and then 20% sell on. That’s pretty decent and it would be nice if we could get close to that for Jack 👍

I bet PS is putting the John Egan situation to MK in his discussions.

Swansea are reportedly after M K Dons centre back Darling for £1.5 million

This looks good business for Gills; Tucker never good enough for Championship, so as good a 'fee' as we could hope for; not sure how Jack's 'hoofball' approach will work at MK, so we may well get another chunk if he moves on again next summer. I always thought he was overrated as he seemed to have a big mistake in him every game and was often bailed out by Ehmer covering
But maybe MK can re-train him in their passing game; if so I'll be happy to see him succeed

I wish him well and it looks like we have done alright out of this deal.

However, he isn't Championship standard; nowhere near. His mistake, that partly resulted in the first goal we conceded to Rotherham in *that game* bears some testimony to this self-evident truth. Perhaps he couldn't handle the pressure that comes with big games, who knows? But I'm guessing that Harris probably had Jack Tucker in mind when he referenced the players that were 'out of contract this summer, don't want them!' in his post-match interview.

That said, he still has some time to develop, as we should remember he is still relatively young. There was no way that Sheffield Wendy, Ipswich, or Charlton were going to come in for him (the latter had already made clear that they were no longer interested earlier this month), so it was always likely that MK Dons or Wycombe would probably take a punt and he has a good opportunity to get the Franchise into the play-offs next season.

I'm not surprised he stayed in league one.

I hope the "sell-on" is at least 30% of ANY fee, not profit.

Reference to Tucker's hoofball approach and questioning his mentality are plain daft. The style of play came from the management and he played in a team with just about the worst GD last season. Jack is a good player and will get even better with better coaching and better players around him
At the start of his career his distribution was fantastic at times. Under Evans it was just ‘hoof it to Vadaine’.

I’m surprised that so many of our fans don’t rate him highly.
He’s an outstanding centre back in my opinion.
He’ll play at a good level for sure.
As for distribution, at MK, all that is required is that they pass it on to the nearest player, three yards away.
Possession for possession sake and boring football.