Jack Muldoon? | Vital Football

Jack Muldoon?

only seen Calder the once, against York. He looks to have ability in running with the ball down the left. I think if i was DC I would have a word with him about being used as cover as a naturally left footed left of midfielder, as an option to come on for Hawkridge.

In the current squad Muldoon is well down the pecking order he is a very willing runner and trier but lacks that bit of quality and is not the best finisher, In previous seasons he would have been a first choice but this seasons squad is very different.

Not sure you need to be in the know - he just isn't as good as those playing. Harsh because he always puts in a shift but he's nowhere near the level of Angol.

Calder is here purely as backup for Habergham, just as Etheridge is here to cover Farman. They won't be seen unless there is an absolute requirement.

Didn't think he was good enough last year let alone this year.

A proper trier though and from what DC has said, an excellent squad member. In fairness, he weighed in with a crucial goal at Solihull Capitulators and he was of course one of the XI who gave everything they had and more at Burnley in the Cup. For me, that was best I'd ever seen him play in a Lincoln shirt.

Following this thread with interest. Have not DC/NC made it a squad game for the season?

I'm sure a player of his calibre with would be part of winning squad aka for promotion than being part of a winning team just for one game.

Something Robinson may have lost sight of and got a better deal?

Thoughts anyone.

Cricklewoodimp - 10/4/2017 12:01

Whilst an absolute workhorse, just not good enough for a team with title winning aspirations.

I was hoping that, under the Cowleys - he might improve. Many players have (they've rescued Alan Power's career from mediocrity, for example) but Jack doesn't seem to have kicked on.

NottyImp - 10/4/2017 12:12

Cricklewoodimp - 10/4/2017 12:01

Whilst an absolute workhorse, just not good enough for a team with title winning aspirations.

I was hoping that, under the Cowleys - he might improve. Many players have (they've rescued Alan Power's career from mediocrity, for example) but Jack doesn't seem to have kicked on.

Point taken re Power.

Not just Power, though; several other players are clearly better for the Cowleys' influence. We don't see a lot of Jack Muldoon, but when we do he seems to be pretty much the same player he was.

Some players play better in a certain system and others don't. I was quite critical of Muldoon a few months back, as he went several games with zero goal attempts, and unable to hold the ball up, as an out and out front man(all in all very ineffective). Since then I have to accept that none of our strikers have really been putting the ball in the net on a regular basis. It's not that they are fluffing chances, they just don't happen very often. I do rate Angol, probably the best we've had this season, for his hold up play, shows the sort of skills you need.
I think Muldoon could find another club mid-table National League, with a different system and do well.

After Robinson left and before Angol joined Muldoon was the only striker we had who could do the pressing that was required when we played Rheady. None of Margetts, Marrriot or Southwell could put anything like the shift Jack puts in over 90 minutes which is why I suspect he was preferred in the FA cup games against Burnley and Arsenal.

As long as we continue our high pressing strategy I think Jack will be a squad player...