Jack Grealish | Vital Football

Jack Grealish

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Hope you don't mind me posting a thread... more than happy to have it removed if you do!

Just wondered what you are all making of Jack Grealish?

£100m to me, not being said as a bitter Villan btw (!) as I didn't mind him leaving, seemed ridiculous.

Be interesting to know what you fine folks think about the move and how he is doing so far. Compared to what you could have got for similar money especially.

No problems at all.

I think he's settled in well so far, and showing why Pep rated him so highly.
The transfer fee is silly, but that's the state of the game now - however, as it's spread over a six year, if memory serves, contract, for accounting purposes, can make you look at it in a different light.

My only quibble is that I'd have preferred him to be a couple of years younger to be paying that amount.

As a City fan, it certainly compares more favourably than the details mentioned for Kane.

So far, so good. He has settled in well and seems to have adapted to what Pep demands of his players quicker than some (it took Mahrez nearly two whole fecking seasons to grasp that it wasn't all about him, that he didn't have to score everytime he received the ball and if your team mate is in a better position to score than you....pass the ball to him). E.g. - his pass to Jesus on his debut setting him up to score.

I was concerned that he might try and dribble all over the park but so far he has resisted that temptation. I think he knows he will see enough of the ball and if he loans it to someone else he will get it back. At some point. Impressed with his tracking back v Leicester at one point breaking up a dangerous attack.

Overall mark so far - B+/A- (I am aware of the risk of grade inflation so am being cautious 😅)

As said above, the fee was daft but these are the crazy tines we live in. I hope Villa can put it to good use.

Hope you don't mind me posting a thread... more than happy to have it removed if you do!

Just wondered what you are all making of Jack Grealish?

£100m to me, not being said as a bitter Villan btw (!) as I didn't mind him leaving, seemed ridiculous.

Be interesting to know what you fine folks think about the move and how he is doing so far. Compared to what you could have got for similar money especially.

Too early to say, Shaun Goater always says it takes about 10 games to bond with your teammates but going by the interaction with JG and Bernardo, they had a particular understanding, I must say that we did debate City paying £100m and hoped it wasn't true, but there were also rumours that the deal had actually been done early in the Summer and that the Clubs were sorting out how the money was to be paid.

Then you got the uproar about City spending £100M and where did they get the money from whilst not a mention about other clubs who had spent more than we had.

JG will be a hit but I doubt he is worth the amount we paid for him or indeed any player for that matter.

I won't quote who, but I'm friends with a former Villa legend, we spoke at length, many times, about how he needed to be coached to do less, and not to cover every blade of grass. In fact, the former player said if he was manager, he'd not let Jack in our own half (within reason obviously!)

Seems that is what Pep is doing and Pep is boss, I often wondered how stern Smith would be with him, not quite enough was my thought.

Be interesting how he gets on, on and off the pitch. Undoubtedly has some great touches, but the amount of times he sits on his backside moaning at refs did grate with me (I believe I was in the minority!)

Interesting replies, thanks

Personally, I didn't want him, not because he wasn't a good player, but like the others I didn't want to pay that transfer fee. He seems to have slotted right into the squad, so I'm happy with his effort thus far.

Personally, I didn't want him, not because he wasn't a good player, but like the others I didn't want to pay that transfer fee. He seems to have slotted right into the squad, so I'm happy with his effort thus far.
Think Pep wanted him because he can keep the ball bettter than Sterling and he can play in midfield, he was never a 100M player, but he is doing well for us.

He can definitely keep the ball longer than Sterling. He also doesn’t seem to have Sterling’s ‘blind alley syndrome’

He can definitely keep the ball longer than Sterling. He also doesn’t seem to have Sterling’s ‘blind alley syndrome’
This syndrome sometimes led to a pen, with the more liberal interputation now he is even less use to us.

Thoughts now he has had some time to settle? From the outside looking in, not looking great. Not sure why Pep wanted him when Stirling is such a cracking player really!

Thoughts now he has had some time to settle? From the outside looking in, not looking great. Not sure why Pep wanted him when Stirling is such a cracking player really!

He is very like Mahrez when he came, he just could not get the togetherness of the squad but since the penny has dropped he has become a fabulous Team player. Jack Grealish has not quite got the idea that he is no longer the star in the side despite the price tag, because we don't have stars we have a team, but he will get there in time and we will see the influence Pep has on him to make him even better than he was at Villa

:agree: What he said. Pep will make him better. It took quite some time for Mahrez to get the message. He still has the occasional lapse but mostly has learnt that the team scores the goals. Jack will get it.......his recent brush with Pep's disciplinary side may help a bit

Part of a piece in the Athletic.

This is what Grealish is told to do by Guardiola in terms of his role in the team.

• Draw players out of their positions to free up space for others. That’s how City can open up spaces in packed defences and create overloads.
  • Simple passes infield, for example to the unmarked Rodri or Joao Cancelo, allow City to switch the play quickly.
  • Grealish has to stick to his area of the pitch. At Aston Villa he could roam, at City he has to stay on the left, and that is non-negotiable.
  • When he gets the ball in those areas, he is not restricted in what he has to do. He has freedom to do as he wishes.
There are some things Grealish brings purely by being the type of player he is, like slowing the game down. Nobody is going to go on the radio or television and say Grealish has paid back his £100million fee by slowing the game down. That’s normally regarded as a bad thing, in fact, but it helps City control matches and they have needed that control at times this season.

https://theathletic.com/3602704/2022/09/17/jack-grealish-pep-guardiola-manchester-city