Jack Charlton | Vital Football

Jack Charlton

And Ireland legend as well, always remember Italia 90 when the world (and the Dutch in particular) scoffed at the football played in the England Ireland game. Bobby Robson basically said, let's see how the Dutch get on against them. Cue another dreadful 1-1 draw in that game (and accusations of collusion on the pitch) and the footballing world suddenly sees that Ireland aren't a walkover

Last edited:
After the 1990 World Cup, he would famously walk into a bar in Ireland and offer to buy the whole pub a drink. When it came to settling up, he would write and sign a cheque. In most cases the cheque was never cashed but framed and mounted in the bar.

Saw him play for Leeds at Coventry in 1971, over 40,000 there that day. Not many people liked that Leeds team, but they were a great draw.

One of life's characters as well as a top footballer. Not many of those left - just five of the 1966 team survive, and Nobby is not looking too good now.

I think I saw City play Leeds in 1956. No idea if Jack played, John Charles was the famous one in that team.

I saw him play for Leeds at Sheffield United two or three times. Last time would be end of the 1973/4 season when Leeds won. My wife also came to that match -it was a Tuesday night and the previous week we'd watched Sheff U beat Liverpool. Those two games basically decided the league.

I saw him play for Leeds at Sheffield United two or three times. Last time would be end of the 1973/4 season when Leeds won. My wife also came to that match -it was a Tuesday night and the previous week we'd watched Sheff U beat Liverpool. Those two games basically decided the league.

He retired in 1973 and won Div 2 as manager of Middlesbrough in 1973/4.

A true no nonsense legend for Leeds, England and the Republic of Ireland. What a great career he enjoyed, and what fun he had.

20 years at Leeds and 762 appearances.

And in retirement, a spot of fishing.

He retired in 1973 and won Div 2 as manager of Middlesbrough in 1973/4.

Thanks, I stand corrected then - my memory playing tricks! I do remember seeing him at Bramall Lane, and with that Leeds team being champs had assumed he was playing - obviously a previous season(s) - we were there for 3.5 seasons, starting in 71/2 just after the Blades had been promoted

I think I saw City play Leeds in 1956. No idea if Jack played, John Charles was the famous one in that team.
He did play:

Lincoln: Mitchell Downie, Doug Graham, Harry Troops, Fred Middleton, Tony Emery, Dick Neal, Jimmy Munro, Colin Gibson, Tommy Northcott, Tommy Bannan, Roy Finch.
Scorer: Neal

Leeds: Roy Wood, Jimmy Dunn, Jimmy Ashall, Archie Gibson, Jack Charlton, Eric Kerfoot, George Hutchinson, John Charles, Bob Forrest, Harold Brook, George Meek.
Scorer: Charles (pen)

Att: 13,713

The draw (on 3 March 1956) left Leeds in 7th place, but a great run of nine wins from their final ten games took them to promotion behind champions Sheffield Wednesday. Lincoln also had a good season, their 8th place being their highest league finish since 1902.

Last edited:
Proper football legend . Saw him play a few times . Iconic figure in the great era of football . R.I.P Jack Charlton

Saw him play at Sincil Bank in someones testimonial. It was during my autograph hunting days. Outstandingly nice bloke and very friendly. Must have been about 1973.

A genuine man of the people, who looked after his own, especially during the miners strike.
Great character of the game, not many of that great Leeds or the boys of 66 left now.
RIP wor Jackie

RIP Jackie. As a Plastic Paddy myself his leadership went beyond just football and had a huge impact on modern Ireland as we know it today. Just goes to show how powerful football can be.