Jack Charlton | Vital Football

Jack Charlton

Met him that time he was a guest speaker at ours. He was a hard player that's for sure.

Really sad news! Third Leeds United legend to go in the last few months after Paul Madeley and Norman Hunter! On the thread the other week of best non gills football moment I said about going to the Malta v Republic of Ireland game! The training session the evening before the game, Jack spent the session chatting to the fans and left the coaching staff to it! Lovely man!

One of the truly great characters of English football and always entertaining and informative. He's been out of the public eye for a good long while and I fear he may have been another to have suffered from dementia. I am sure mention will be made of his little black book but he never tried to get another player booked or sent off.

My favourite memory of him as a commentator was during the 1974 World Cup game between Brazil & Holland, which was a feast of brutal fouling. Jack had been admiring the skills and hard tackling of Brazil's cenre half Luis Perira since the start of the competition. A game that merited half a dozen red cards had just one, Luis Pereira for a waist high assault on Johan Neeskens. Jack chuckled appreciatively before stating that it was a pity that the competition's best defender would be remembered for one foul.

Last edited:
Probably going to get slaughtered for this....Jack Charlton doing the dirty work made Bobby Moore look a better player than he actually was!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack played for Leeds United, one club man. He never played for West Ham.

I know, Im not fucking stupid! I meant their partnership for England! My father is from Yorkshire so very much aware of the great Leeds team and all the players! Also, before we get on to the Charlton only played 35 times for England and Moore played 105 their partnership was during England’s best period ever!

Pele said that Bobby Moore was the best defender he ever played against.
with all due respect I value his opinion more highly than yours.
Anyway RIP Jack.
Proper defender
Proper man

Sad news RIP Jack .I will always remember him saying about how "Our kid Bobby can play .I can't but i can stop others playing". As a boy to my shame i enjoyed watching Leeds on the box.He was a player I looked up to being a very poor and unhealthy defender myself. Mind you most people did.I couldn't help myself supporting Ireland when not playing England when he was in charge .A very able pundit as well .

Probably going to get slaughtered for this....Jack Charlton doing the dirty work made Bobby Moore look a better player than he actually was!
I think I get the comment in the manner that it was meant.Defending is very much about partnerships. Like for Gills Alongside Brucey for example someone like Egan ,King or Hope would almost certainly be a better pairing than say Ashby for example.Bobby would not kick a player up in the air but having Nobby and Jack their meant Sir Alf got the best out of his more technical players.A great team like Gills championship team under Hess that first season needs all sorts of different players and all are vital.

Funny how the mind plays tricks over the years but I always thought it was Big Jack that sold Terry Cochrane to us as manager of Middlesborough but on looking it up, it appears Jack had left before Terry came.
I seem to remember a story about Jack telling him Gillingham were interested so Terry asks "Gillingham? Is there anything there?" The reply was "I think there's a train station".
Maybe right story, wrong manager? 🙄

I know, Im not fucking stupid! I meant their partnership for England! My father is from Yorkshire so very much aware of the great Leeds team and all the players! Also, before we get on to the Charlton only played 35 times for England and Moore played 105 their partnership was during England’s best period ever!

That is a stupid comment however because Moore looked the class player he was in every team he played for. Bobby Moore played 544 games for West Ham and it was there his career and reputation were built. Both players were top class and played just as well in other combinations. Brazil V England at the 1970 world cup is often quoted as one of Moore's finest games.

I saw Charlton play many, many times ,lived in Leeds for 40 years some of them on Elland Road. I suspect Jack would have laughed at any suggestion he made Bobby Moore look good. My memory of the famously chauvinist Leeds fans is that they thought Bobby More cheated Norman Hunter out of caps, which led to some entertaining debates.

Last edited:
My memory of Jack Charlton is the World Cup in 1994, stood on the sideline in a short sleeved shirt.

There's a great anecdote about him insisting on having time off for fishing but I can't quite remember the details.

Jogills - maybe wrong and over judgmental, but I think Moore was past it by the time he played for Fulham. I remember him rugby style tacking a player when playing for them when the player got away :yes:

Jogills - maybe wrong and over judgmental, but I think Moore was past it by the time he played for Fulham. I remember him rugby style tacking a player when playing for them when the player got away :yes:

Quite possibley, I never saw him play for Fulham but neillharvey did . I remember Bobby Charlton as player manager for Preston against us, got away with a definite penalty and card because the ref was in awe of him. He was certainly past it by then. For anyone, who knows the area around Elland Road, Jack came back to his modest semi on the Heath estate opposite the ground in 1966 after celebrating winning the world cup, another world.