Jack Bonham | Vital Football

Jack Bonham

He's a weak link and not good enough according to some on here, apparently.

I think he's fine for our level. If he was brilliant he wouldn't be with us.

Pleased he got in the totw. Two fingers to his detractors.

I believe he's kept 11 clean sheets so far this season, carrying on from his good form with Bristol Rovers last season. He is what he is, a good League One goalkeeper.

Has there been anyone that damning of him? Iā€™ve read a few ā€œJack didnā€™t have a great game todayā€ type comments (WHU game recently), but I thought pretty much everyone was happy with Bonham.

Seems a pretty safe keeper to me.

He got moaned at after the Wetspam game and blamed for their first goal which was unfair imo. Other criticisms about going awol at times. He's good for our level.

Last edited:

Not sure I've seen anyone say that and most have been impressed with him and said so. Never understood the desire for some people to try to create a scapegoat when none exists, so that they can bang on about how hard done by a player is and how nasty his non-existent detractors are when most people just say it as they see it.

I thought Holy's shoes/gloves would be hard to fill, but overall Bonham has easily done that. His shot stopping has been very good all season, with his only weaknesses being his dealing with crosses. However, he has generally sorted that out IMO and is a lot more steady with crosses now. I do, however, think he hasn't been as great in the past 2-3 games as the standard he'd set up until Christmas. Funnily enough, whilst keeping a clean sheet on Saturday and making a couple of good saves, I did think that wasn't at his best again with a couple of examples at flapping at crosses and parrying fairly tame shots - I would say I am surprised that he made the team of the weak, but I am not sure those who assess such awards, whether they be team of the week, manager of the month or player of the month, actually watch the action and I tend to think they give out awards on a hunch or whim or just because it fits a good story.

He got moaned at after the Wetspam game and blamed for their first goal which was unfair imo. Other criticisms about going awol at times. He's ood for our level.

People criticising individual mistakes (and it's very much opinion) is not the same as having it in for a player or regarding them as a "weak link". I've not seen anything other than honest critique on Bonham, whether it be good or bad - and I'd say it's generally good.

Not sure I've seen anyone say that and most have been impressed with him and said so. Never understood the desire for some people to try to create a scapegoat when none exists, so that they can bang on about how hard done by a player is and how nasty his non-existent detractors are when most people just say it as they see it.

I thought Holy's shoes/gloves would be hard to fill, but overall Bonham has easily done that. His shot stopping has been very good all season, with his only weaknesses being his dealing with crosses. However, he has generally sorted that out IMO and is a lot more steady with crosses now. I do, however, think he hasn't been as great in the past 2-3 games as the standard he'd set up until Christmas. Funnily enough, whilst keeping a clean sheet on Saturday and making a couple of good saves, I did think that wasn't at his best again with a couple of examples at flapping at crosses and parrying fairly tame shots - I would say I am surprised that he made the team of the weak, but I am not sure those who assess such awards, whether they be team of the week, manager of the month or player of the month, actually watch the action and I tend to think they give out awards on a hunch or whim or just because it fits a good story.
"team of the weak". Was that a Freudian slip ST?

He plays behind a good defence, which helps, but is still a very good keeper at our level.
Every keeper we have gets picked on for whatever annoys the 'experts'.
Guess which of our keepers these comments might apply to...

Never comes off his line for corners.
Can't kick for toffee.
Can't save a shot hit low.
Why does he keep going out of his area?
The worst thing to come out of Scotland.
Tries to make everything look spectacular.
He's too fat to be a goalkeeper!

Heā€™s good enough for this level, but he makes me nervous sometimes.

Shot stopping he is very assured.

His kicking isnā€™t the best. On back passes I think he has more time that he realises to take a first touch. Instead, he tries to lash it first time and frequently doesnā€™t make the best connection.

I like that he comes for crosses rather than sticking on his line, but some of the decisions he makes to come for the ball are a little wild. And because of some bad decisions to go for the ball, he often ends up flapping at crosses or missing them altogether.

I have some doubts about his communication and I think the back 4 have some doubts too. Weā€™ve had mix ups with Connor Ogilvie (which resulted in a goal) and a similar one with Barry Fuller (which almost resulted in an injury). Ehmer and Fuller are often remonstrating with him too about coming for the ball.

I donā€™t think we need a new keeper and heā€™s good enough for League 1, but I feel that a lot of the clean sheets weā€™ve had have been because weā€™re much more solid defensively and pressure high up the pitch.

How do you explain the 20 odd clean sheets Bonham got for Bristol Rovers last season aswell then?

I think you're not giving enough credit to Bonham here, yes we have a very organised/solid defence but Jack is part of that solid team. Jack has made some great stops, yes he makes the odd mistake, home to Rotherham mix up with Ogilvie and feel he should have done better with Zabaleta's shot vs West Ham but overall very good.

If I had to choose whether I'd have Holy back over Bonham I'd say stick with Jack which says alot given how highly rated Holy was at one stage. Keep up the good work Jack.

PS - I'm not Jack Bonham's Dad :thumbup:
No, I am.

He got moaned at after the Wetspam game and blamed for their first goal which was unfair imo. Other criticisms about going awol at times. He's good for our level.

He came out when the ball was passed across goal but too far in front of him. Had he still been on his line when the shot came in he would have had more time to make the save.

But hey...one mistake. I don't see him week in week out so I'm not in any position to generalise based on that.

I 100% think whoever we sign he wonā€™t be good enough for some on here.

How do you explain the 20 odd clean sheets Bonham got for Bristol Rovers last season aswell then?

I think you're not giving enough credit to Bonham here, yes we have a very organised/solid defence but Jack is part of that solid team. Jack has made some great stops, yes he makes the odd mistake, home to Rotherham mix up with Ogilvie and feel he should have done better with Zabaleta's shot vs West Ham but overall very good.

If I had to choose whether I'd have Holy back over Bonham I'd say stick with Jack which says alot given how highly rated Holy was at one stage. Keep up the good work Jack.

BonhamGFC... ..ahem... ...Bromley GFC!

I canā€™t explain the 20 odd clean sheets for Bristol Rovers last season because I didnā€™t see any of their games. But could feasibly be because they were defensively solid.

Equally, you cannot say that he was responsible for the 20 odd clean sheets unless you watched those games. Did you?

Heā€™s fine for league 1 - and still relatively young for a GK. Letā€™s see how he develops. Iā€™d keep him as back-up GK when we get promoted to the Championship this season.

He came out when the ball was passed across goal but too far in front of him. Had he still been on his line when the shot came in he would have had more time to make the save.

But hey...one mistake. I don't see him week in week out so I'm not in any position to generalise based on that.

I actually thought he was decent against WH apart from that one mistake. It was the league game before that which was a bit of a horror show.

I would have Nels at his peak over either of them.

He's been good for us and came in to fill big shoes. Others have dealt with his perceived strengths and weaknesses and I'd only add something concerning the apparent remonstrating from defenders. That's good in my opinion and it's what he needs. He's not massively experienced and has never played consistently anywhere for more than a season. I'd like to see him assert himself more and be seeen to do so. Goalkeepers need to have presence and personality and I expect him to show more of both the longer he plays for us. Here's hoping he's one we talk about for a long time to come.

Well it must be an amazing coincidence that Bonham kept loads of clean sheets in league one last season, joins another club in the same division this season and gets a load more clean sheets here as well. But let's just praise both the defences and forget the Goalkeeper eh!

But would you really let him shag your wife?