I've packed up smoking | Vital Football

I've packed up smoking

Jonah

Vital Football Legend
I signed up for the NHS help malarky and have given up the dreaded weed.

As part of it you have to name a quitting day, mine was yesterday. Haven't had a fag since Sunday night, which might sound like fuck all but to anyone who knows me it's a major triumph.

I am using the nicotine inhaler thingies and they work a treat. I have tried to pack up many times in the past but this time feels different, I am going to give it a hell of a go anyway so wish me luck and I'll keep you posted.

:14:

I used to smoke over 20 a day, then one day around 10 years ago I was dying from a chest infection, and I went outside for a fag. As I was trying to cough up my lungs I realised what stupid habit smoking was, and that was the last fag i had. I think to give up, the aids are great, but in the end will power is the key.

good luck to you, i have good will power but just cant crack the smoking one!

well done by the way. One trick is to put the cash you are saving into a bank account or pot, and treat yourself to what you want, it's a great reward.

have you given up on medical advice Jonah or because you want to? Just wondered what your driving force was. I ve been smoking for 22years and the last time i "pretended" to give up was more than 10 years ago. I like to smoke and i'm not even sure i'd give up if medically directed as i think we all know the risks the minute we light up. I do have some admiration however for those who chose to give up and wish you all the very best.

Meyouldy: My Dad died at 62 of lung cancer, my sister died at 45 of lung cancer, it also killed my Mom although she was 78 when she died.

The only question is why didn't I do it years ago?

fully understand what you are saying Jonah, but you knew these things with every ciggie you have lit up. just wondered if there was any reason why now? I often think of the implications. Lost family members to the dreaded big C and my future ex wife has "beaten" it but foolishly i'm no more encouraged to give up. You have taken a massive step by setting a date and sticking to it, i sincerely wish you well.

Giving up really isn't that hard, you just have to want to, really. I not being flippant it is just the way it is. If your not committed you will go back to it.

No real reason why now, although I did promise the wife and kids that I would stop when we moved into the new house which we did in December. Apart from that I am sick and tired of being dependent on it, can't make a move without making sure I've got me baccy with me etc.

But the main driving force is I have 4 kids and 3 grandkids, I'm 52 now and as you get older you think about these things more and more....I would like to try and stick around for a bit for them if at all possible.

HA HA JONAH'S SCARED OF SMOKING.

Don't give it up dude - it makes you look hard. Innit.

Seriously, there's a book by a guy whos now dead but it's very famous and is about quitting smoking and the people that I know who have done it have done so with the aid of this book. Unfortunateyl, I can't recall its name but I'm suire someone on here will and if not I'll find out the author. He died last year I think, but the book is pretty damn clever the way it makes you look at things.

Dave Allen smoked about 70 a day for the best part of half a century and one day just decided not to have another, and didn't. Next time you want one, don't have one - imagne your on an aeroplane or something where you can't smoke for the 12 hours your on the flight. My drugs problems of the past show I have a very weak willpower, but I've never got addicted to smoking. I only have a rollie with a pint in the other hand.

Good luck with it Jonah, with a history in the family like that you'd be the outright winner of 'Biggest idiot of Vital Villa' if you have another.