I've packed up smoking | Page 40 | Vital Football

I've packed up smoking

My Mrs used to smoke as a teenager. Apparently when her dad found out he told her you want to smoke then try something proper and made her smoke the biggest cigar he could find. And that did the trick.

Obviously didn’t want her ending up how he did. Heavy smoker, gave up but not soon enough and died 16 years ago at 55 . No doubt whatsoever it was a major factor in his health problems leading up.

I detest it.

I switched to rolling tobacco around 15 years ago, you can only buy 30g pouches now because they changed the law and they cost €18.

Pack of 20 fags is now €14.

Fuck my health, it's my wallet I should be thinking about.

Roughly the same time for me I think maybe give a year or two. Not sure what 18 Euros are in £'s, but rolling you can spread it longer unless you roll a spliff lol Missus rolls the thinnest fags you've ever seen but they are smokable, I still use double the baccie, so when I can I make her do them to save money lol

Sure my local is still selling 50g packs (cheapest being £12 but we can get 50 odd out of it)...but old man made friends with another local shop keep years back and we get the pouches in 10 packs and he takes a slight profit hit knowing he has an instant guaranteed sale, so that helps.

Stupidly in previous years worrying about health was never enough so I always focused on cost but it was still never enough. I am now more on the health side which is why I'm determined to do it this year but I'm not there yet.

Seems like another world now.
Smoking in pubs, bars, night clubs and other enclosed public places.
I’m old enough to remember being on an aeroplane with people smoking. Wtf was that all about. A pressurised metal tube 35,000 feet in the air.

Back in my days as a locksmith, the bloke I worked for was a one man band so having spent time as a journo working in offices with toilet/fag breaks where you couldn't smoke inside, working for him he got through about 80 a day in the unit, was constantly handing out and most of them burnt out whilst I was working.

It's still a vivid memory when I basically ended up running his company for minimum wage, as he just fucked off and left me to it, but one day I realised I'd got a fag going in the office by the phone, I'd got a fag going by the key cutting machines and then had another one going on the work bench where I was building a companies master suite of locks.

That wasn't a new thing...such a waste of money, and for a non-smoker walking in, it must have been like opening a hot oven with the whoosh of built up smoke, but you never thought about it back then.

Smoking in bars and clubs was legal when I turned 18, though wasn’t long before it was banned. Anyway, I remember being a fresher where you’d go out on Monday, then maybe Tuesday, definitely Wednesday, sometimes Thursday and always Friday... wearing the same pair of jeans. That used to fucking stink after night one!

Yeah but you did change your pants right? You can get a week out of jeans when younger, maybe even a fortnight out of your socks...but pants have to be daily unless you turn them inside out.

My Mrs used to smoke as a teenager. Apparently when her dad found out he told her you want to smoke then try something proper and made her smoke the biggest cigar he could find. And that did the trick.

Obviously didn’t want her ending up how he did. Heavy smoker, gave up but not soon enough and died 16 years ago at 55 . No doubt whatsoever it was a major factor in his health problems leading up.

I detest it.

For all the money spent on advertising risks and things...they should focus on smokers who do exactly that to make sure their kids never take it up. There's a reason smokers try and put others off...to the point of making them cough up or puke.

Again, sadly another instance where a 'like' seems inappropriate for your post.

My wife smokes and apart from not smoking during pregnancies she has done from the age of 15. She suffers from asthma but still continues to do it, the kids go barmy at her. It hadn't used to bother me too much when cigarettes were £3 - £4 a packet but now they are over £10 a packet it pisses me off watching her burning our money away.